"Cable Cutting" - Getting rid of Cable/Satellite TV - Page 8 - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #106 of 170 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 04:55 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,687 Times in 857 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragos28 View Post
alright, i got my Amazon fire tv and Roku 3 in.
I'll be honest, i didnt like the amazon tv, every damn tv show or program or movie i even wanted to look at costed $2.99 or $3.99 and the movies were $5.99 and $6.99
wtf??
I signed up for the hulu free trial, that was cool and all but i dont love it...

My employee's husband says he has some IPTV box that is able to watch all kind of shit online free, including channels from europe. I'm going to check that out, once he sends me the info on the box.

as for the fire & roku, i'm sending them back.... i didnt even bother opening up the roku.

maybe ive been conditioned far too long with the simplicity and ease of use that cable offers.. idk.

i did call my provider to see what they can do to lower my bill, which is nothing because i want the hd digital channels & the dvr. but they did upgrade my modem to a 35mbs with wifi built in, as my wireless router (netgear) sucks.. i have to reboot it once a month..
You can do all of that with the Fire TV too! Check out that link I put towards the beginning of this thread regarding the Fire TV.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

KORE 2.5 FOX COILOVERS
CST SPINDLES
TOTAL CHAOS UCA
35 x 12.50 x 20 TOYO M/T
REAR 3 in BLOCKS and COACHES +3 SHACKLES
20 x 10 FUEL HOSTAGES
AMP POWERSTEPS -- BAKFLIP HD
Quad Bi-Xenon Retrofit (FX-R 2.0 & Mini H1) Oracle Halos
RIGID GRILLE w/ 30 INCH SR LIGHT BAR
BIG RIG CLUB MEMBER #50
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #107 of 170 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 08:37 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Garage
I cut the cord last year. Had to tell the comcast rep like 13 times "I don't care what you are going to offer me, my kids need to go outside".

We put an antenna in the attic facing the Boston area channels. We use Amazon Prime, Netflix and Hulu plus on a Vizeo Net Apps TV upstairs and a Roku 2 HD downstairs. It's been pretty awesome with the savings.
post #108 of 170 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 10:19 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Most of us have thought about it but not yet cut the cord.

I started down that path with a Sony Internet TV. It was a Google TV powered device. Only problem was that Google angered providers and going to most networks was met with "oh, you have a Google tv. Our code has problems with that device that we are working to address." Years later, same "bug", or should I say political issue with Google?

I've also played with home theatre servers, ROKU, apple tv, etc. All left me wanting.

Unfortunately, I live in the very northern US and the satellites are low on the horizon. I have trees blocking and thats not been an Avenue open to me.

One thing that has paused me is the use clauses in the Internet provider licenses. Mine has download limits, ban on VOIP and other cable like competing technologies. They aren't enforced often but could be. Add to that the Net Neutrality discussions and they may have us boxed in.

Always good to understand what COULD happen so you have a plan B. Read your agreements. You might be shocked what's in there.
post #109 of 170 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 10:20 AM

Thanked 2,943 Times in 1,819 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 584 Post(s)
I just am not in an area where OTA is very good. I have the towers in the hill but there is a plains area and then you dip down into my valley. Nothing is going to overcome that. And with cable being a no brainer, meaning you don't have to put hardly any effort, it is what my woman wants. I bought a fire box and have it hardwired but don't use it. Not enough time to watch what already paid for by cable.
I would like to ditch most of cable. Maybe basic and internet, then the fire and other downloads but I been pressing time warner and they keep on giving more for less money than we were paying .
And I don't have a great group of intune friends to give me the scoop on great things to watch. At least with cable, you catch commercials of other shows out there.
I am thinking of next time ditching the DVR if I can get a current tuner card or cards and make my own DVR. The woman hates watching live tv. Anyone build one lately?
The Following User Says Thank You to volleyball For This Useful Post:
Dragos28 (05-07-2015)
post #110 of 170 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 09:14 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,687 Times in 857 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
While we're on the topic, great things are coming to HDHomeRun users. For those not familiar with an HDHomeRun it is a device that connects to your over the air antenna and allows you to stream that feed to any network connected device in your home. There is currently a kickstarter up to get DVR functionality with it as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

KORE 2.5 FOX COILOVERS
CST SPINDLES
TOTAL CHAOS UCA
35 x 12.50 x 20 TOYO M/T
REAR 3 in BLOCKS and COACHES +3 SHACKLES
20 x 10 FUEL HOSTAGES
AMP POWERSTEPS -- BAKFLIP HD
Quad Bi-Xenon Retrofit (FX-R 2.0 & Mini H1) Oracle Halos
RIGID GRILLE w/ 30 INCH SR LIGHT BAR
BIG RIG CLUB MEMBER #50
post #111 of 170 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 09:21 AM
Stealth Ninja Moderator
Premium Member

Thanked 32,844 Times in 15,065 Posts
Mentioned: 886 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10796 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EUPHOR1C View Post
While we're on the topic, great things are coming to HDHomeRun users. For those not familiar with an HDHomeRun it is a device that connects to your over the air antenna and allows you to stream that feed to any network connected device in your home. There is currently a kickstarter up to get DVR functionality with it as well.
Screw Silicon Dust! They never delivered the HDHR4-CC. Never gave an explanation. They cannot be trusted anymore.

I also have serious issues with established companies using Kickstarter to fund for a new product. Silicon Dust has no issue funding this venture themselves.

2015 Tundra CrewMax 1794 2WD

ddd
ddd

post #112 of 170 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 02:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
My geographical location won't allow for OTA/ATSC reception, sucks. For now HDhomerun Prime (FiOS) fits our needs for DLNA (nPlayer) on iOS and HD with HTPC Media Center. We do have a couple of set-top boxes (Mounted in closets) for on demand stuff the wife enjoys.

We're also using Netflix for binge-watching and use Pandora One for whole house music.

Back when we had Time Warner, for some reason I had unencrypted QAM, no DRM on any pay channel for around 2yrs- Media Center was recording almost 24/7...

We use a mix of keyboards, bedrooms use Lenovo N5902, family room uses the iPazzPort KP-810-21 2.4GHz Mini Wireless Mouse + Keyboard + Touchpad (using right now sitting on sofa typing this)

2010 Tundra DC Slate Metallic

Bed Slide
Bilstein 5100 Height adjustable shocks (Lowest Setting)
Michelin LTX MS2 255/70/18
post #113 of 170 (permalink) Old 05-14-2015, 03:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBTundraDude View Post
How do you get the fights? How do you NOT need netflix/amazon_prime?

as for the fights, i.e. the mayweather vs. pacquaio, i viewed it from the phoenix addon.

the mass majority of movies, tv shows, tv series are on xbmc/kodi. i normally watch movies more than tv shows or tv series but they are there if i want to.

the current movies come out a lot sooner than netflix/amazon prime. sometimes too soon (CAM, which I don't watch due to quality). normally, when those current movies come out (non-CAM version), they are either HQ, or in 720p or even 1080p.

you get a library of extensive array of movies with XBMC/Kodi and you can do a search. whereas, netflix and i believe amazon prime will cycle the movies. the movies come out quicker with XBMC/Kodi than RedBox too!

Just make sure you have a minimum 10Mbits download and you should be fine.
post #114 of 170 (permalink) Old 05-14-2015, 08:34 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
I canceled my TV service over a year ago and haven't missed it at all. Plenty of good stuff on YouTube and Amazon Prime. Well, now I'm moving to a place with no high speed internet, so guess what? Back to satellite TV for entertainment. I looked into satellite internet, but its a joke. $130+ a month gets you barely enough speed for streaming on a good day and a monthly cap at anywhere from 20 to 50 GB.

2018 Tacoma TRD OR 6 speed manual.

Regular Cab Tundra Club founding member.

post #115 of 170 (permalink) Old 05-17-2015, 05:57 PM
SP
Premium Member

Thanked 4,316 Times in 2,242 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Garage
Can anyone recommend a TV service I can watch gold rush and Alaskin bush people ? Hulu Vudu ext.... There is so many out there. As of now I have only cable and Amazon prime and it pay per episode , I would rather pay 100$ for the year and have more selection.

Thanks, I cut cable TV but the internet is a must for me and to have access to my favorite Torrent sites 🙊

2014 CM 5.7L 1794 edition
Front tint(removed its illegal now in NYS)*OEM look alike Brushed steps*GENSSIģ ELITE G7 H4 Led's*morimoto LED fogs(excellent)*interior canbus LED's*Husky Floor Liners*Trd Pro grill and color matched front end*TRD sway bar*Extang 2.0 solid fold Tonneau cover*20 inch Black Rhino black wheels*Sotck nit size terra graplers*Bully Dog tuner AWESOME*
post #116 of 170 (permalink) Old 05-17-2015, 06:18 PM
Stealth Ninja Moderator
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SP View Post
Can anyone recommend a TV service I can watch gold rush and Alaskin bush people ? Hulu Vudu ext.... There is so many out there. As of now I have only cable and Amazon prime and it pay per episode , I would rather pay 100$ for the year and have more selection.

Thanks, I cut cable TV but the internet is a must for me and to have access to my favorite Torrent sites 🙊
If you are torrenting... all the Discovery shows are out there for the taking.

A friend told me that anyway.

ddd
ddd

post #117 of 170 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 08:00 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 36,631 Times in 18,138 Posts
Mentioned: 1586 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11618 Post(s)
Looks like this thread has been dead for a while.

so i've got a few options... Cox cable, $40 a month 140 channels with a dvr.
Youtube TV $40 a month, 150 channels.. idk how it connects or what kind of hardware it needs but it has cloud dvr.
Sling... $25 a month.. and i have no idea what it does or how it works...

our internet is 300mbps and is $80 a month... that i'm ok with.. i'm already paying for netflix and amazon prime and i have hbo go free... but i still want to have that "live tv" background noise kinda thing.. you know, you turn the tv on and its on.. i dont want to have to keep selecting something to play... if that makes sense...

what do y'all think/suggest.

post #118 of 170 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 08:10 PM
Stealth Ninja Moderator
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragos28 View Post
Looks like this thread has been dead for a while.

so i've got a few options... Cox cable, $40 a month 140 channels with a dvr.
Youtube TV $40 a month, 150 channels.. idk how it connects or what kind of hardware it needs but it has cloud dvr.
Sling... $25 a month.. and i have no idea what it does or how it works...

our internet is 300mbps and is $80 a month... that i'm ok with.. i'm already paying for netflix and amazon prime and i have hbo go free... but i still want to have that "live tv" background noise kinda thing.. you know, you turn the tv on and its on.. i dont want to have to keep selecting something to play... if that makes sense...

what do y'all think/suggest.
Lay an antenna on the floor of the attic, i bet you will pick up all your locals.

ddd
ddd

post #119 of 170 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 08:43 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 36,631 Times in 18,138 Posts
Mentioned: 1586 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11618 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenD View Post
Lay an antenna on the floor of the attic, i bet you will pick up all your locals.
yeah i heard they have good digital antennas.. but i want Discovery, TLC, Comedy Central, history channel.. Etc etc... those arent on netflix or on local channels..

post #120 of 170 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 09:31 PM
He Has Risen!

Thanked 16,980 Times in 7,962 Posts
Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Quoted: 3291 Post(s)
Garage
I have a roku box and that I use for sling and Netflix. I have an antenna for local.
Sling is non live stuff, except if you have the sports package for another $5 and some games are live. But basically, it will play 5 episodes in a row of one show every night and play whole seasons in about a month. The game show channel will play like 5 or 6 episodes of family feud, then a few episodes of another show, etc., but its all reruns.
There's some good stuff but not much. There's some cartoon channels for the kids. It's better than nothing, but no discovery channel.
The way I see it, why pay 3x the price for 3x the amount of channels of nothing that great to watch?
The Following User Says Thank You to RRzxter For This Useful Post:
Dragos28 (12-02-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Member Area > Off-Topic Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in