TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum (https://www.tundratalk.net/forums/)
-   Off-Topic Discussion (https://www.tundratalk.net/forums/off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   "Cable Cutting" - Getting rid of Cable/Satellite TV (https://www.tundratalk.net/forums/off-topic-discussion/453994-cable-cutting-getting-rid-cable-satellite-tv.html)

2k14TundraSR5 05-04-2015 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragos28 (Post 5700473)
Thanks Man! I'm glad that people on here actually know about this stuff, i swear just a few days ago i was talking to my wife just about this subject, but i was like, man idk anything about this and i dont want to get frustrated learning what device is good and how it works. lol

We have an itunes account, but thats just now for my wife's ipad and iphone. I dont use it at all.
I have an amazon account, but not the prime.. but for $99 a year i think its worth it just in the shopping benefits, not to mention the tv also.

Do you have the amazon tv?
If so how do you like it?

Yea I actually have both and use both.. Apple TV was gifted to me, and I bought the fire TV when it first came out..

Both are easy to set up, both have easy to use interfaces.. The only difference is that if you have Amazon prime, it comes with a netflix type service with its instant video..

Yea I have both of the the fire TV devices, the small dongle and the set top.. The dongle works great in the garage when I am doing man crap.. Its not super fast and powerful, but I pop on a movie real quick, and get to work.. The set top has the processing power, load time is great, lots of apps.. Its never given me any problems..

I went from 165 buck for internet and direct.. to 45 for internet plus 10 bucks for the netflix subscription.. Couple bucks here and there for episodes on amazon, still saving 90 dollars a month.. No regrets..

Dragos28 05-04-2015 12:17 AM

Any insight on the Nexus Player or the Roku 3?
damn, soo many choices. lol

2k14TundraSR5 05-04-2015 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragos28 (Post 5700521)
Any insight on the Nexus Player?

Ha.. This is the first time I am hearing about the Nexus Player.. Reviews look good, specs look good, all the same apps.. It does have the chrome casting feature (I have the chrome cast dongle too, I use to use it to cast my vudu app from my phone to the TV.. It worked pretty good, id imagine a lot better with the better specs on the nexus player..

It looks like its a toss up between the Nexus player, Fire TV, and Apple TV.. They all have their own individual benefits..

2k14TundraSR5 05-04-2015 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragos28 (Post 5700521)
Any insight on the Nexus Player or the Roku 3?
damn, soo many choices. lol

Just saw your Roku 3 edit.. Roku 3 is good, but when comparing specs to cost, its in last place..

Dragos28 05-04-2015 12:35 AM

I went ahead and pulled the trigger.

I bought the amazon fire and the roku 3. also signed up for the prime service so i'll get them on tuesday!

i'm going to wait til they come in and set them up, then if they're what i'm expecting i'll cancel my cable service, and upgrade my interweb speed.

2k14TundraSR5 05-04-2015 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragos28 (Post 5700561)

I bought the amazon fire and the roku 3. also signed up for the prime service so i'll get them on tuesday!

i'm going to wait til they come in and set them up, then if they're what i'm expecting i'll cancel my cable service, and upgrade my interweb speed.

Sounds good.. Keep me updated on the Roku 3.. I have heard good things, but never used it..

Dragos28 05-04-2015 12:39 AM

I got the roku 3 just based on the reviews that it has the best search function.

I'm excited to see what it's about!

Hicklebunny 05-04-2015 07:25 AM

1701 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragos28 (Post 5700561)

Ahead of whom?

Hicklebunny 05-04-2015 07:40 AM

1701 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragos28 (Post 5700577)
I got the roku 3 just based on the reviews that it has the best search function.

I'm excited to see what it's about!

I'm interested too, let me know how easy it is to set up and if you can truly replace cable.

Did you get an antenna too?

StevenD 05-04-2015 07:57 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected] (Post 5700385)
LOL wonder if anyone still has rabbit ears. I know you can appreciate this: when I was a kid, I made my own rabbit ears from coconut she'll (the base), hanger wires, tin foil and old speaker wire. Gotta be da Professor when you live on Gilligan's Eyeland.

No rabbit hears here. But I have an antenna hung from the rafters in my attic. I get all the DFW channels 100% free!

StevenD 05-04-2015 07:59 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I prefer the Amazon FireTV to the Roku. Granted, I have not used a Roku 3, but the FireTV has much more memory and seems to have better WiFi reception.

Hicklebunny 05-04-2015 08:19 AM

1701 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by StevenD (Post 5700961)
I prefer the Amazon FireTV to the Roku. Granted, I have not used a Roku 3, but the FireTV has much more memory and seems to have better WiFi reception.

Would it be worth it to run hard wire? Would it make it faster?

StevenD 05-04-2015 08:22 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hickleberry (Post 5701025)
Would it be worth it to run hard wire? Would it make it faster?

Absolutely! Everything in my house is hooked up via Ethernet. It is always preferred to Wifi. If it is at all feasible to run ethernet, do it!

Some of the Roku's don't have ethernet ports, and neither does the FireTV Stick.

EUPHOR1C 05-04-2015 08:54 AM

You'll be happy with the Fire TV. I have one in the master and it has no issues streaming 1080p content via wi-fi. It's only wireless N, no AC, but still has no issues. It's not as easily accessible as a rooted android box, but you can still side load apps onto it, XBMC/Kodi. This site will help you do all that Guide | AFTVnews

Dragos28 05-04-2015 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hickleberry (Post 5700897)
I'm interested too, let me know how easy it is to set up and if you can truly replace cable.

Did you get an antenna too?

i didnt get an antennae, i'm going to call the cable company and see what they're most basic cable plan costs + the lighting speed internet 75mb/s

If that's under $50 a month then i'll keep the most basic cable. if not then i'll just go for the internet and get the wabbit ears.