TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum (https://www.tundratalk.net/forums/)
-   Off-Topic Discussion (https://www.tundratalk.net/forums/off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   "Cable Cutting" - Getting rid of Cable/Satellite TV (https://www.tundratalk.net/forums/off-topic-discussion/453994-cable-cutting-getting-rid-cable-satellite-tv.html)

Hicklebunny 05-03-2015 10:26 PM

1701 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by XHILR8N! (Post 5699898)
So the point is, cable and satellite are going the way of horse harnesses. Or Blockbuster rented CDs. Or V8s (please not that!)

Can we reverse the question? Is there any reason not to cut the cord?

The networks don't always hand all of their shows downloadable

Jack McCarthy 05-03-2015 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XHILR8N! (Post 5699898)
So the point is, cable and satellite are going the way of horse harnesses. Or Blockbuster rented CDs. Or V8s (please not that!)

Can we reverse the question? Is there any reason not to cut the cord?

Depends on what you watch. Here we've got NESN (New England Sports Network) and until they start streaming like ESPN, I'm stuck with cutting deals between Comcast & DirectTV.

Just recently bought a TIVO roamio and TIVO mini for both OTA and cable, so I record shows when I'm not around.

XHILR8N! 05-03-2015 10:45 PM

Maybe I'm wrong, but it sure seems that the cable and satellite companies have licenses to steal. I'm sure it costs billions to float satellites and dig ditches or whatever it takes to make it all work, but it just seems like excessive.

By identifying the remaining impediments to jetisoning these guys, we're that much closer to doing it.

Dragos28 05-03-2015 10:46 PM

Just the other day I was thinking about cutting our cable and getting something else.

Can you watch programs that come out right then? Like the shark tank or the big bang theory?

Hicklebunny 05-03-2015 10:50 PM

1701 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragos28 (Post 5700113)
Just the other day I was thinking about cutting our cable and getting something else.

Can you watch programs that come out right then? Like the shark tank or the big bang theory?

Four episodes of Game of Thrones were available on Kodi when only one was available on cable.

[email protected] 05-03-2015 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2012CMINCO (Post 5699362)
I built my own home theater PC years ago. I still use it once in a while when I want to do browsing on my 65 inch 4K Sony.

But, both the Sony in the Samsung in our bedroom have built-in apps so we use those most of the time now. I also have a couple Apple TVs that we use, mostly for airplay.

I have similar setup on my 65.01 inch 4,001 Sony, apple, orange and banana TV's for air play.

[email protected] 05-03-2015 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EUPHOR1C (Post 5699706)
Kodi + Genesis = Freedom

My internet speed penis is larger. Should be over 300, but I'm experiencing some shrinkage at the moment.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/4335188916.png

Are you the bitch arse mutha that keeps head shotting me in Call of Duty due to lag. :D

Damn son. Where u live? South Korea?

[email protected] 05-03-2015 10:56 PM

Too rich for my blood. I got no rabbit ears on this fight.

2k14TundraSR5 05-03-2015 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragos28 (Post 5700113)
Just the other day I was thinking about cutting our cable and getting something else.

Can you watch programs that come out right then? Like the shark tank or the big bang theory?

Big Bang Theory is usually available later in the evening I believe? Or next day at the latest.. Same goes with the Walking Dead.. Those are the only two shows we are , so I just order the season for 25 bucks or whatever it is..

Jack McCarthy 05-03-2015 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragos28 (Post 5700113)
Just the other day I was thinking about cutting our cable and getting something else.

Can you watch programs that come out right then? Like the shark tank or the big bang theory?

Shark Tank and Big Bang Theory are regular network shows, you should be able to pick them up OTA via a UHF antenna.

Dragos28 05-03-2015 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2k14TundraSR5 (Post 5700217)
Big Bang Theory is usually available later in the evening I believe? Or next day at the latest.. Same goes with the Walking Dead.. Those are the only two shows we are , so I just order the season for 25 bucks or whatever it is..

hmmm.... damn. i think i'm going to ditch my cable. maybe get a faster interweb speed. i'm getting at best 20down and 3up

So, what device should i get?
I'm looking at the Amazon Fire TV or the MXQ Tv Box

i'm looking for the most simple and intuitive interface, dont want this:


Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack McCarthy (Post 5700225)
Shark Tank and Big Bang Theory are regular network shows, you should be able to pick them up OTA via a UHF antenna.

GOOD POINT!
I can still watch OTA programs, just need to get a good antennae.

I'm paying $160 for our bundle, tv, internet and landline which we NEVER use... its just there for the alarm, which i'm going to cancel also, i own the hardware, just paying $30 a month for a stupid phone call in case the alarm goes off...

[email protected] 05-03-2015 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack McCarthy (Post 5700225)
Shark Tank and Big Bang Theory are regular network shows, you should be able to pick them up OTA via a UHF antenna.

LOL wonder if anyone still has rabbit ears. I know you can appreciate this: when I was a kid, I made my own rabbit ears from coconut she'll (the base), hanger wires, tin foil and old speaker wire. Gotta be da Professor when you live on Gilligan's Eyeland.

2k14TundraSR5 05-03-2015 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragos28 (Post 5700329)
hmmm.... damn. i think i'm going to ditch my cable. maybe get a faster interweb speed. i'm getting at best 20down and 3up

So, what device should i get?
I'm looking at the Amazon Fire TV or the MXQ Tv Box

i'm looking for the most simple and intuitive interface, dont want this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpEn-pM-ny8



GOOD POINT!
I can still watch OTA programs, just need to get a good antennae.

I'm paying $160 for our bundle, tv, internet and landline which we NEVER use... its just there for the alarm, which i'm going to cancel also, i own the hardware, just paying $30 a month for a stupid phone call in case the alarm goes off...

Exactly.. I do have a flat antenna that I have setup for just in case reasons (news, emergency, that kinda thing) plus it doubles great for tailgating!

Which device depends on the services you use? Do you use iTunes? AppleTV price just got lowered, and I think its the only device to offer HBO NOW service..

If you have amazon prime and view a lot of media, Fire TV is great.. They have two, the dongle and the set top box.. The box is well worth the extra cost in processing speed..

Everyone loves the Roku as well..

I think all of these offer apps to netflix and hulu..

Jack McCarthy 05-03-2015 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragos28 (Post 5700329)
GOOD POINT!
I can still watch OTA programs, just need to get a good antennae.

I'm paying $160 for our bundle, tv, internet and landline which we NEVER use... its just there for the alarm, which i'm going to cancel also, i own the hardware, just paying $30 a month for a stupid phone call in case the alarm goes off...

Actually, depending upon how strong the signal is in your area, you can get by with a $40 internal attic antenna from Walmart vs. a $160 antenna from Best Buy. Ten years ago I would've recommended the latter, but nowadays I've done comparison testing and found a relatively inexpensive antenna is fine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected] (Post 5700385)
LOL wonder if anyone still has rabbit ears. I know you can appreciate this: when I was a kid, I made my own rabbit ears from coconut she'll (the base), hanger wires, tin foil and old speaker wire. Gotta be da Professor when you live on Gilligan's Eyeland.

Yeah, I can still remember the days as a kid playing around with scrambled porn broadcast OTA before cable. We'd all play around with the rabbit ears to see who could get a "boob" shot! lol...not to mention the parents telling you not to spin the station dial too fast or you'll break it.

Hardly anyone is broadcasting DTV (not HDTV) in VHF anymore. I think the percentage is around 90% here in the U.S., so the era of rabbit ears are gone, Now it's just either a simple loop UHF antenna or concentric loops that get larger with a reflector for better gain.

Worst case is you live in a valley and need to mount it on a pole that goes beyond the roofline of the home since UHF is "line of sight" reception, unlike VHF which can be picked up via a reflection.

Dragos28 05-03-2015 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2k14TundraSR5 (Post 5700425)
Exactly.. I do have a flat antenna that I have setup for just in case reasons (news, emergency, that kinda thing) plus it doubles great for tailgating!

Which device depends on the services you use? Do you use iTunes? AppleTV price just got lowered, and I think its the only device to offer HBO NOW service..

If you have amazon prime and view a lot of media, Fire TV is great.. They have two, the dongle and the set top box.. The box is well worth the extra cost in processing speed..

Everyone loves the Roku as well..

I think all of these offer apps to netflix and hulu..


Thanks Man! I'm glad that people on here actually know about this stuff, i swear just a few days ago i was talking to my wife just about this subject, but i was like, man idk anything about this and i dont want to get frustrated learning what device is good and how it works. lol

We have an itunes account, but thats just now for my wife's ipad and iphone. I dont use it at all.
I have an amazon account, but not the prime.. but for $99 a year i think its worth it just in the shopping benefits, not to mention the tv also.

Do you have the amazon tv?
If so how do you like it?


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:25 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2006-2009, TundraTalk.net. All Rights Reserved.

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome