TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum (https://www.tundratalk.net/forums/)
-   Off-Topic Discussion (https://www.tundratalk.net/forums/off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   "Cable Cutting" - Getting rid of Cable/Satellite TV (https://www.tundratalk.net/forums/off-topic-discussion/453994-cable-cutting-getting-rid-cable-satellite-tv.html)

mojalli 02-19-2019 01:24 PM

It's actually cheaper to have the landline with Comcast compared to not having it included in the bundle, stupid for sure but that is how their package works. I don't use the phone but I do give out the phone number for when a phone number is required filling out paperwork for various vendors, I figure if a real question/answer is needed they would leave a voice message for me, I can always check for that. Of course the phone calls that do come in are 99% spam but I don't even have a phone connected so I never hear a phone ring, I just check from time to time on the internet on the Comcast website.

Dragos28 03-10-2019 07:49 PM

I couldnt do it anymore. 4 months on only Netflix and Prime... just cant find enough programs to watch...
just signed up again for Cox cable with all the premium channels..

MetalMonkey 03-10-2019 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragos28 (Post 9427200)
I couldnt do it anymore. 4 months on only Netflix and Prime... just cant find enough programs to watch...

You might be addicted if . . .

ljaques 03-10-2019 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HBTundraDude (Post 5699202)
I cut the cable (canceled service) almost 10 years ago. I want to know if any of you have done it and if so, which devices you use on your TV/Entertainment System to watch the shows/movies/etc. that you like.

I umbilicaled-off a dozen years ago. Never missed it, as it had turned into 500 channels of NOTHING. :violin:

Replacements are: Amazon Prime video, a Kindle with KU, Netflix, and YT. I refuse to watch (or listen to) another single commercial, so I have over 500 spam blockers for email, use AdBlockPlus on the computer extensively, and refuse to whitelist anything which would abuse me with commercials or ads.

Do I count the old vinyl record albums? ;)

Oh, Redbox sees me for all the new movies, too.

ljaques 03-11-2019 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragos28 (Post 9427200)

As we say in AA, some are sicker than others. >:D

Read a book, why don't ya? I do about 100/yr.

Dragos28 03-11-2019 07:49 AM

addict? nope i just want to have something entertaining to watch for the two hours in the evening that i do watch tv.
i really did enjoy the Netflix and Prime originals.. but once you watch them all you're forced to keep searching and trying to find something entertaining.

i know with cable i had a list of shows that i would enjoy and had those recorded so i could watch them at night.
almost all my favorite things to watch are not available off the cable network

:nerd:

Dragos28 03-11-2019 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ljaques (Post 9427286)
As we say in AA, some are sicker than others. >:D

Read a book, why don't ya? I do about 100/yr.

what makes you think I dont read books? i'm reading Tom Clancy's Oath of Office right now.
i dont read 100 books a year because im not a geriatric, i actually have a busy life.. and with that being said, i am willing to pay the price of cable so i can have my entertainment for the few hours i am able to rest on the couch

:D

purplenova 03-11-2019 10:51 AM

we have Directv Now, Prime Video and Netflix.

Have more than enough stuff to watch and paying about $70.00 month for all
and no contracts. Can drop any of them whenever I want.

StevenD 03-11-2019 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by purplenova (Post 9427330)
we have Directv Now, Prime Video and Netflix.

Have more than enough stuff to watch and paying about $70.00 month for all
and no contracts. Can drop any of them whenever I want.

DirecTV Now going up $10/month

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/dire...-new-packages/

Dragos28 03-11-2019 11:44 AM

I tried DirecTV now and didn't like the interface on my Samsung smart TV.

purplenova 03-11-2019 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragos28 (Post 9427356)
I tried DirecTV now and didn't like the interface on my Samsung smart TV.

We just use the 2nd gen stick and box and all seems ok as far as the interface. Not sure what it looks like on
smart tv.

We've been with them since launch date and got the special price to be guinea pigs for the Go big package.
Hopefully the increase dont affect us. Thats exactly why we dumped cable.

Guess Im going on chat to find out right now...:facepalm:

volleyball 03-11-2019 12:24 PM

Watching tv should not be a part time job. Some of these services take up a lot of time to get to stupid tv.
My woman wants me to find the new series, set up recording and then run the remote through commercials.
After making decisions all day, she doesn't want to do it at night all the time.
How do you get the 411 on new shows on hulu or netflix? Unless you have people who you trust to give you good leads, you are at a party and you cannot join the conversation

RRzxter 03-13-2019 12:48 AM

Right now our life sucks. Our jobs are stressful and while building our new house, our current remodel POS house got put on hold and is now going on 4 yrs. We basically live out of our bedroom. The only time we watch TV is while laying in bed before going to sleep at night and maybe a little bit when we first wake up on the weekends. We originally cut cable to save money while we fixed our debt and got our shit together. Now we use Sling, local TV and occasionally use our daughter's Netflix.
Point to all this nonsense is my wife wants to get cable when we finally move into the new house. I think it's just because we havent had it and have been living like poor people in a shit house and she just wants it because we haven't had it.
BUT,.....we are moving into a nice house, out in the country and will have more things to do, be outside more, etc,.....and will likely spend even less time watching tv than we do now. And we don't have small kids. It will just be us.
But if I try to explain why we shouldn't spend $100-150 a month on cable when we move, I'll be the grumpy asshole.
So, good luck with all that I guess.

Dragos28 03-13-2019 06:33 AM

$70 a month, so not too bad including HBO and Starz and whatever other premium channels they included.

our Cox box came yesterday, soo glorious, their setup menu and interactive guide is amazing. the remote, holy shit it is nice, oozes of elegance and technology. also has a little button you push and you can verbalize your commands. so you dont have to chicken peck every character when searching for a show.
love it. was watching Shark Tank and The Profit last night. was able to remember most of my favorite shows and have them setup to record.

Johnny 5 03-13-2019 08:32 AM

Did your amazing elegant remote understand your Romanian accent or did you have to repeat yourself a few times?