LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 09:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnCivilEng View Post
What internet service/speed are you guys using to stream netflix? I also have netflix but the quality of the resolution is crappy on my TV. Ipad and other devices is great.

Also, what is everyone using to stream it to your tv? PS3, Wii, roku, dvd player...
I have Charter.

I use a google TV(logitech revue) for some content(best browser I can find atm for straight-up web content, also best youtube interface and it has an actual keyboard remote so searching is easier than the other text entry systems) with a Roku connected to it for most of the other content I watch(netflix, amazon, plex media center for content I have on my local network).

2012 Magnetic Gray DC 4x4 TRD
MGMC #256

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 09:47 AM

Thanked 1,437 Times in 772 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)

I have a synology diskstation DS1812 (See above) at the house with 6TB of space in it, that coupled with Sickbeard, I get all the tv shows I want. I have 4 extra drive bays and can expand this to add 10 more drive bays.

I got rid of NetFlix years ago after the numerous rate hikes. We do use Amazon Prime, but this was just a bonus to getting free 2 day shipping

I'm in the same boat with sports, its the only reason I haven't cut the cord just yet. Once I figure that out, I'm cutting the cord.

----
(SOLD) 2010 CrewMax SR5
The Following User Says Thank You to planomateo For This Useful Post:
BuckNakedBooda (08-19-2014)
post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 11:12 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 30,049 Times in 9,452 Posts
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Not sure what I am looking at... this acts as your DVR?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 11:18 AM
Stealth Ninja Moderator
Premium Member

Thanked 32,923 Times in 15,117 Posts
Mentioned: 890 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10830 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Not sure what I am looking at... this acts as your DVR?
Sort of. There are plenty of ways to get TV shows off the internet. The Synology is network attached storage (a bunch of hard drives) that hold all the TV shows that he downloads via Sickbeard (an application for downloading TV shows).

I have a 44TB unRAID array for storing my movies and TV shows.

2015 Tundra CrewMax 1794 2WD

ddd
ddd

post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 11:23 AM
Stealth Ninja Moderator
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by planomateo View Post
I'm in the same boat with sports, its the only reason I haven't cut the cord just yet. Once I figure that out, I'm cutting the cord.
Dish Network is working on a streaming service that will debut for $20-30 a month. In their latest negotiations with ESPN/Disney, they have permissions to include those channels in the streaming package.

Who knows what it will actually look like when it launches though.

ddd
ddd

post #21 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 11:26 AM

Thanked 1,437 Times in 772 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenD View Post
Sort of. There are plenty of ways to get TV shows off the internet. The Synology is network attached storage (a bunch of hard drives) that hold all the TV shows that he downloads via Sickbeard (an application for downloading TV shows).

I have a 44TB unRAID array for storing my movies and TV shows.
What he said (thanks @StevenD ). Has a bunch of other apps available - ie, surveillance system - connect a few IP cameras to your house and add them to synology surveillance system and you can now record and watch your house.

Tons of apps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenD View Post
Dish Network is working on a streaming service that will debut for $20-30 a month. In their latest negotiations with ESPN/Disney, they have permissions to include those channels in the streaming package.

Who knows what it will actually look like when it launches though.
I'd pay $20 a month for my sports fix Even though I don't care for the power that ESPN wields.

----
(SOLD) 2010 CrewMax SR5
post #22 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 11:31 AM
Stealth Ninja Moderator
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by planomateo View Post
I'd pay $20 a month for my sports fix Even though I don't care for the power that ESPN wields.
No, but between ESPN and the SEC Network (which is ESPN), and and an antenna to pick up CBS and ABC, you're covered for football, at least.

ddd
ddd

post #23 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 11:41 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 30,049 Times in 9,452 Posts
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
oh yeah... I forgot to mention. . . .

post #24 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 05:13 PM
"Resident Liberal"
Premium Member

Thanked 31,702 Times in 13,722 Posts
Mentioned: 807 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5881 Post(s)
Quote:
What internet service/speed are you guys using to stream netflix? I also have netflix but the quality of the resolution is crappy on my TV. Ipad and other devices is great.

Also, what is everyone using to stream it to your tv? PS3, Wii, roku, dvd player...
Sony Bluray. Uses the SEN. I had no idea there were so many pay streaming services available.

I know sometimes what I see is not what everyone else sees.

The voices in my head don't like you

If you are a fan of fat girls, Dave Matthews CD's are better than a ham on a fishing pole.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
H. L. Mencken

2008 RCSB 4.7 TRD Offroad 4x4
post #25 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 12:27 AM

Thanked 11,509 Times in 3,265 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Man I'm getting the itch to cancel it all. I like Netflix and I normally watch NO live TV except news and some sports.

Do the news channels stream with a Roku 3? Is it just like tuning into Fox/CNN/etc on cable?

Sports...just wish I could get a handle on that. I do occasionally like to watch college football, NFL, and NCAAF games.

I'd love to have $75 bucks a month back into my pocket from Directv. (110-some money for subscription services)

-Steve
2018 Ford F-250 Lariat Ultimate 6.7L, Bak Revolver X4, Bed Rug, Duraflap Mud Flaps
post #26 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 01:31 AM

Thanked 11,509 Times in 3,265 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
I just ordered the Amazon Fire TV. Gonna try this game out.

If it goes well, I'm going to order this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E5Z3R6A/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1H0WTPAEFCJB6HHZV4WD&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1688200382&pf_rd_i=507846
I'm struggling trying to figure out antenna gains for this unit though....

And cancel DirecTV. I actually like them a lot...they've been a good TV service, but I'd sure prefer to have that money going into savings instead of out the door as an obligation every month.

-Steve
2018 Ford F-250 Lariat Ultimate 6.7L, Bak Revolver X4, Bed Rug, Duraflap Mud Flaps
post #27 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 04:17 AM
[email protected] Y'all, I'm from Texas
Premium Member

Thanked 12,630 Times in 5,308 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
You know the old school roof antennas for uhf/vhf? Most all of those work for HD, even the old ones.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001DFTGR4?cache=74ed61fdc5410f3718a3698fff8b9ed1&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70&qid=1409127101&sr=8-4#ref=mp_s_a_1_4
I have one mounted inside my attic and it works awesome. Told my cousin about it and he put on in his attic and uses it to DVR shows on his computer. No unsightly thing sticking up from the roof. They are directional so look online and it will tell you what direction to point it when hanging it in the attic.

All mod descriptions and pictures 2007-2015 by Toxarch. They may be copied only for personal use and the mods may be done for non-profit only.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MORON #1
Do not mention his name here. He spits on us and talks crap and you're directing people to him from our site? I don't think so. I know you're neutral and that's fine, but please do not mention him here.
post #28 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 08:38 PM

Thanked 2,457 Times in 1,061 Posts
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Garage
I havent had cable in 7 years.
Currently I have internet service, netflix, apple tv and Pandora one.

Covers our tv watching moods, music and movie moods.

I do miss sports, but we just go out for it.

2010 4x4 TRD Limited~Rock Warrior Wheels~ARE V-series Cap~1A Auto Tow Mirrors~Hidden Antenna Mod~Fog light Mod~DRL delete~Chrome Rear Door Handles~Stock exhaust dumped over axle~Thule Hitch Bike Rack~WeatherTech Digital Fit Mats~MTN BYK plates~

My Build-

Tri-State Club Founder-

Tundra With A Cap Club #126
Tundra Campers Club #11
First Gen Club #8 2005 4x4 TRD SR5 DC..SOLD
post #29 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 09:19 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxarch View Post
You know the old school roof antennas for uhf/vhf? Most all of those work for HD, even the old ones.
Winegard HD7694P High Definition VHF/UHF Antenna:Amazon:Electronics

I have one mounted inside my attic and it works awesome. Told my cousin about it and he put on in his attic and uses it to DVR shows on his computer. No unsightly thing sticking up from the roof. They are directional so look online and it will tell you what direction to point it when hanging it in the attic.
But of course the one that really intrigued me is a dead link...Doh!!

Do tell, what channels ie: local or otherwise can you get. It's been 20yrs since I had a antenna.

MGMC # 106 '13 RW...Stock, Me Likey.
Info Mod.
Raptor Step Bars
Thule Xporter 500 Racks System.

New England Tundra Club Member #28
Rock Warrior Club Member #58
post #30 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 10:17 PM
[email protected] Y'all, I'm from Texas
Premium Member

Thanked 12,630 Times in 5,308 Posts
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed.A View Post
But of course the one that really intrigued me is a dead link...Doh!!

Do tell, what channels ie: local or otherwise can you get. It's been 20yrs since I had a antenna.
That link still works for me, but it's the mobile site. Try this one:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DFTGR4/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=06SDR5TW9WR0SFATTQ3B&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1688200382&pf_rd_i=507846
You get all the local channels in HD. The major stations also have 24 hour weather channels if you need to see that right away. There's also a movie channel that shows old movies for ABC I think. I recall seeing old spaghetti westerns on it. During the Olympics, they also showed different events on the alternate channels. For example there will be 5.1 (main HD channel you see on cable), 5.2 (weather channel), 5.3 (?alternate channel?).

Of course, you need an HD tuner, which should be built-in to all newer TVs.

All mod descriptions and pictures 2007-2015 by Toxarch. They may be copied only for personal use and the mods may be done for non-profit only.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MORON #1
Do not mention his name here. He spits on us and talks crap and you're directing people to him from our site? I don't think so. I know you're neutral and that's fine, but please do not mention him here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Member Area > Off-Topic Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in