Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

New Owner...not a good start

1K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  BigRed2007 
#1 ·
Wish I could say that I am a happy new Toyota Tundra owner, but circumstances with the dealer, Toyota of Richardson in Dallas TX, have made it otherwise. I purchased my black 08 tundra SR5 DC on July 29, 2011. One of the contract agreements was to fix some body damage.
I dropped my truck off a week after the purchase at 7:00 am at the dealership, with an agreement that the body work would be completed as well as a complete detail by the time I return from work that day. At 4:30 pm that afternoon, I arrived at the dealership and they just started work on the car even though it has been in their possession for close to 10 hours. So I sat and waited. Around 7:00 pm, I asked my salesperson to give me an update on the car. He was not around and it turned out that he has left for the day and that my car has been done for a while now. When they brought my truck around, the body work done was amateur to say the very least. They did a horrible job of repairing the damage, in fact, they ended up doing more damage. The truck was never detailed either. After I point this out to the manager, he apologized and had the truck sent out to be detailed. Another 45 minutes later, I am told my truck is done. Now that it is clean, I can clearly see how much damage was really done. It's a black truck, so any imperfections in the paint stand out. On top of the body work not being fixed correctly, now I have heavy swirl marks up and down the whole truck and touch up paint randomly slapped all over the truck.
I proceeded to have a lengthy conversation with the manager and director about how the repairs were not acceptable. They argued that that the best they could do with their world class body shop. I then proceeded to point out the additional damage to the truck. At that point the Director walks off not saying a word. I am quickly put into a rental car so I can leave my truck with them so they can fix the issues. However, after sleeping on it, I decided that I can't trust them to fix the problems correctly. So I went to go pick up my truck the next morning. When I was given my car back, there were RACIAL slurs on the paperwork. You have to wonder if a dealership is willing to write down those type of comments on your documents, then what are they willing to say and do behind your back?
Even though I have been in contact with Toyota Corporate and their local Customer Relations Advocate for a couple of weeks now, there has not been any action done. I have NOT received, at minimum, a formal apology for the racial slurs. I have NOT gotten my truck fixed, even though they stated they would pay for me to have it fixed at a shop of my choice.
Do yourself a favor and just do a google search on reviews related to Toyota of Richardson. They speak for themselves. I just wished I had done the same before all this had occurred.

I'll have to hold off on posting images of the truck until all this plays out.

See less See more
#3 ·
sorry to hear bout the bad luck/service/dealership. I thought you were gonna be bashing the tundra but it doesnt seem like that after reading. I also dealt with a sub par dealership when I bought my truck. Nothing in comparison to your deal though! Hopefully Toyota can get you all squared away...

Other than that hows the Tundra? asside from the paint and body damage? how bad is the damage?

#4 ·
I dread every time I have to go to ANY dealer because it is always the same nonsense. Make an early A.M. appointment, drop it off at 0700, and when you call at 1500 it hasn't been looked at yet. Show up at 1800 to drive it home and they are just getting started on it. Last summer I brought my truck back for something small (don't remember what) and when the guy was backing it out he swung the front end into the stack of new Tundra replacement frames and wrecked my bumper. That meant I had to go back two weeks later to get that repaired. After getting right in and then waiting two hours, the service manager came out and told me it would take all day, so they stuck me in a little P.O.S. Dodge rental car for the rest of the day. Another dealer left a wheel weight floating around on my 4Runner with IPMS wheels. They took it out, re-balanced the wheel and replaced the IPMS module, but in the process damaged the outside surface of the wheel. It was very clearly fresh, not weathered, but they tried to say it was there all along. I told them that every chance I got I would MF them to everyone I knew. So stay away from Lynch Toyota in Manchester, CT.

#5 ·
When I first picked up my Tundra, it looked like someone ice skated on the hood. I think that the detailer wiped off the side, picking up grit, and then rubbed it on the hood. Anyway, initially I was not getting the service I wanted and then the Manager took over. I got his personal cell number and any issues I had he dealt with personally. Things got done. I wish every dealership did that.

#6 ·
You should never take possession of the truck until it has been fixed to how you want. If they say they will pay to have it done at an outside shop, then let them take it to the outside shop and pay for it before you accept the truck.

#7 ·
Sorry to hear about your issues with the dealer. I would ask them to contact the shop of your choice and let them know that they will be paying for all repairs. If they refuse then start playing hardball.

I had a similar experience when I bought my '08 Tundra a few months ago. There was a shimmy at 45mph that was so bad the bed of the truck literally hopped up and down. I called the dealer and they told me to bring it in. I said I'm over 2 hours away from them and asked if I could take it to a local dealer, which they agreed to. I called and made the appointment and explained that the service guy would have to contact the original dealer direct for payment. Turned out that one problem was an out-of-round tire, which was replaced. Unfortunately the shimmy is still there but not nearly as bad as before, so I called both dealers and had them make a note of it. The original dealer said that if I bring it to them instead of my local shop that they will fill my tank with gas and take care of the problem. I asked if it was ok to wait until my first oil change to have the work done and said if things get worse that I'll call. They agreed. I have been round and round with this dealer since they delivered my truck and am finding it easier to talk directly to the head manager.

I will leave the rest of my bad experiences for later, but I will say that I won't buy another vehicle from Prime Auto Mall in Saco, Maine. Everything that they promised wasn't done and they (salesman and general sales manager) tried to lie to cover it up. I have been documenting every promise made since my first phone call and I'm still writing.

#8 ·
point taken and a lessoned learned.

as to the truck - yeah i think i might have an issue with the gas pedal...it keeps getting stuck to the floor and throws me back in my seat. I'm not sure if its a issue with the car or maybe me. A bit embarrassed driving around with all the damage so I just make her a black blur so no one can see it.

seriously though..love the truck!

#10 ·
you should've went to Toyota of Lewisville, great service, great prices. And home of free oil changes for life, you can upgrade to Mobil 1 full syn for $40. Also, they usually always give free loaners, and they're either new camry's, highlander's, tacoma's or prius's.. They used to have Tundra's as loaners but some people couldn't drive them and dented and dinged them up.

#11 ·
yea, sry to hear the bad service, when this is all done, i would like to see the slurs, just cause this is entertaining to me for some reason...

its peoples stupidity that i find entertaining, not the slurs before anyone gets the wrong idea.

i have a guy at work that has been there about 6 mths, he thinks 6 mths means seniority, today while on the sales floor he was casually saying **** this and that..

i had to explain to him that that is unacceptable, and he has blurted it out to customers asking about their machine, he is a porter... he has told them that it was wasked like shit and its fuc%ing dirty still so they have to rewash it...

as for the bodywork, in the future, anything that NEEDS to be fixed should be fixed BEFORE picking up on sale date... theoretically after you take it, they really dont have to do anything unless it is in writing with pics otherwise its just a verbal agreement...

good luck, hope it works out man, was this like dent repair or what?

#12 ·
I will not propagate the ignorance of others by repeating or posting images of the racial slurs, so please stop asking. I am just trying to state the facts so ppl can make up their own minds. The only time that those statements will come back up is when I repeat them in court or some other legal proceeding.

-The body work repairs was included in on the contract and upon pick up of the truck the following day, I took pictures of the damage on the truck in front of the dealership so there would not be any questions on when and where it happen. The damage was to the rear driver side door, some pretty deep scratches on the corner of the bumper and rear passenger side door. But now I have some nice deep swirl marks to go with them as well as thick ribbons of touch up paint. There is touch up paint in areas that didn't even have scratches.

- Thanks for those who provided advice and support...I will just have to see how this all plays out with the dealership before I consider my next move.

#13 ·
I got a reminder yesterday as to why I try to do all my own maintenance and repairs, but had to bite the bullet and go to a shop for new tires. What does the monkey in the garage do when he goes to jack up the front of my truck? Puts the first jack under the skid plate, and proceeds with the lift. Needless to say, skid plates DO NOT support much weight, and as I watched my truck drop a couple of inches, I knew he crushed it. I warned him about what he was doing and he moved the jack. So I waited until they were done and it was time to pay, and went out with the other guy to inspect the damage. Luckily, nothing under the skid plate was touched. I only paid 3/4 of the bill, and will be going back next week to have it replaced. Only then will they get the balance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.