Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

All Black Interior/Leather - Like/Dislike?

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  30PlusRetlaw 
#1 ·
Morning, all. Prospective newbie here requesting opinions.

Long-time Toyota owner, then last year I went insane and traded a perfectly wonderful Tacoma for a 2010 F-150. Dont' bother - I've kicked my own a$$, so no need to jump on me. :):banghead:

I want to go back to Toyota, and found a Tundra with a package I wasn't familiar with - the XSP package. I've researched it and I suppose I understand it's an upgraded SR5 package.

I have never owned a vehicle with all-black interior, nor one with black leather seats. While I'm not totally sold on the vehicle, it is damned sporty and at 58 years of age, I do like something unique.

Now - the big question. I live in Alabama, and y'all know it's hot this way. Just tell me how it is. Will all-black interior with black leather seating make me miserable?

By the way - in case anyone is interested, I believe I've seen this vehicle on the lot for at least 8 months. Sticker is $34,000 and change, but a hang tag on the mirror has it on sale for $26,997 (haven't done the Edmunds route yet on true market value/invoice, but that's not my main priority now - just wondering if I'll be burned to a crisp with that interior).

Thoughts?

Many thanks from (I hope) new Tundra owner.

See less See more
#2 ·
First question - what model is the truck? Regular Cab, Double Cab or Crewmax?

Second - how many miles are on the truck and what year is it?

As for the black leather I personally think it looks great. I have a black Crewmax and I wish like hell I had black leather instead of grey. In terms of how hot it will get, that depends. If you're going to tint the windows (living in AL you should IMO) then you will be OK. If you don't tint the windows, you're going to need a towel to put over the seats if you're not wearing pants - especially during the summer.

I live in South FL now and I've lived in Mobile before - temps are pretty equal except in the winter time (y'all get much colder). Black leather without tinted windows in either location will get very, very hot.

#3 ·
Thanks for the response.

It's a new 2011 double cab. And, I believe the dealer anticipated the black interior-gets-hot issue, as they had the windows deeply tinted (believe it appears to be 20%). And, of course, I always use a sunshade regardless of the interior's color.

It's Radiant Red (very nice color - better than any of the late model F-150 red colors).

I'm a very impulsive buyer when it comes to toys (mainly vehicles). Obviously I would want to take this for an extended drive (my sales rep knows me well, and would give me great leeway).

By the way, for those not familiar with the XSP package (like me), this is what it's comprised of (I haven't been able to find this option package on Edmunds or anywhere else...yet):

Includes: Exhaust Tip,Skid Plate

Carbon Fiber Dash, X-SP Badges (3),

Leather Faced Seats w/X-SP Front Seat

Embroidered Headrests,

Carpet Mats w/X-SP Embroidered,

Color-Keyed Fender Flares,

Stainless Steel Step Tubes,

4-20 inch BBS Wheels,

4-305/50R20 Michelin Latitudes Tires

(Replaces 4 Factory wheels and Tires listed)

***NO CHARGE-Ting My Auto/Theft Deterrent

Tracking System (3 YRS Unlimited Service)***

#5 ·
I've got a black leather interior and love it. It can get a bit hot if out in the direct sunlight, but any vehicle would. the leather cleans effortlessly and feels and looks great. I had a F150 before my Tundra it had gray cloth and was a dirty mess. the interior looked cheap and held a ton of dust.

#7 ·
I have all black interior but not leather.. At first I loved the black interior but in summer time it's super hot. I love the look don't get me wrong. I'd go with a different color like grey or whatever light colors are available. I'm thinking about switching to a light colored leather here soon. Not to mention they're a pain in the ass to clean when they're dirty.

#8 ·
First question - what model is the truck? Regular Cab, Double Cab or Crewmax?

Second - how many miles are on the truck and what year is it?

As for the black leather I personally think it looks great. I have a black Crewmax and I wish like hell I had black leather instead of grey. In terms of how hot it will get, that depends. If you're going to tint the windows (living in AL you should IMO) then you will be OK. If you don't tint the windows, you're going to need a towel to put over the seats if you're not wearing pants - especially during the summer.

I live in South FL now and I've lived in Mobile before - temps are pretty equal except in the winter time (y'all get much colder). Black leather without tinted windows in either location will get very, very hot.
LionsGate: make sure you have a towel to put over your lap too if your driving around without pants!

#10 ·
Pull the trigger! You will love it. I don't have the black leather in mine but have had plenty of vehicles with Black on black. The tinted windows will help a ton

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.