User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
New... sorta

Bought a brand new 5.7 sr5 Trd in 2017, CM. Silver. Bad choice on color but nbd as the color doesn’t make the engine turn over last time I checked.

Just now getting the funds to make it look right and get off road for real.

Upcoming work:
In 6 days it’s getting BMC, new Elka suspension with about 2.5” lift, 35x12.50 on 20” method 309 Grid wheels grey/black, +18 offset, 5.75” backspacing. (Changed my mind on 5/15 and ordered these wheels, sending back d564 fuel beasts with +1 offset just in time to do the work Monday).

Doing the suspension right (I hope at least, I researched it for weeks online and made about 30 calls to shops, was gonna get King shocks, but toytec was out of them and pushed Elka, so did my local shop)... anyway, those parts are over $4k alone. So I spent far more than what I initially set out to do already. Eager to put in a new cold air intake and exhaust but can’t see how to pull that off now. Hopefully that’ll change in a year.

Lastly for now I’m getting rid of all of the chrome, particularly grill/front bumper ends. Toyota got a lot of things right in my book with their gen3 tundras. But wtf with all the chrome!? Fortunately rear bumper is color matched. Front bumper was a wall of chrome new. Put in pro grill first week. But surround is still chrome, and bumper ends up front. Just got a silver (not chrome) grill surround from eBay today. About $300. Vinyl wrapping the bumper ends, well, I’m not, but I’m having it done for around $200...which is a lot, but less than half what the gougers are charging for a painted set online. Anyone know the right vinyl to get a good color match? In all of my reading I have yet to get that info for my guy doing the work.

Love this helpful forum! Thanks in advance. Looking for feedback before it’s too late!

Last edited by doghouse; 05-16-2019 at 02:51 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to doghouse For This Useful Post:
Powertechn2 (05-13-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 08:38 PM

Thanked 10,709 Times in 5,784 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1657 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by doghouse View Post
Bought a brand new 5.7 sr5 Trd in 2017, CM. Silver. Bad choice on color but nbd as the color doesn’t make the engine turn over last time I checked.

Just now getting the funds to make it look right and get off road for real.

Upcoming work:
In 6 days it’s getting BMC, new Elka suspension with about 2.5” lift, 35x12.50 on 20” fuel d564 with 0 offset.

Doing the suspension right (I hope at least, I researched it for weeks online and made about 30 calls to shops, was gonna get King shocks, but toytec was out of them and pushed Elka, so did my local shop)... anyway, those parts are over $4k alone. So I spent far more than what I initially set out to do already. Eager to put in a new cold air intake and exhaust but can’t see how to pull that off now. Hopefully that’ll change in a year.

Lastly for now I’m getting rid of all of the chrome, particularly grill/front bumper ends. Toyota got a lot of things right in my book with their gen3 tundras. But wtf with all the chrome!? Fortunately rear bumper is color matched. Front bumper was a wall of chrome new. Put in pro grill first week. But surround is still chrome, and bumper ends up front. Just got a silver (not chrome) grill surround from eBay today. About $300. Vinyl wrapping the bumper ends, well, I’m not, but I’m having it done for around $200...which is a lot, but less than half what the gougers are charging for a painted set online. Anyone know the right vinyl to get a good color match? In all of my reading I have yet to get that info for my guy doing the work.

Love my truck. The motor reminds me of the trucks I drove and worked in in Maine as a kid. Mostly big block 8s and diesels. I drove a big skidder and hauled a tractor all over behind a diesel suburban. From 15 yo for family lumber bus. 30 years later I’m finally able to build a nice rig right for myself.

Want to see MORE pics of 35x12.50r20 @0 offset. (I’m hoping that set up doesn’t stick out much more than an inch or so?). And chrome delete w vinyl. Any color, but most specifically silver.

Love this helpful forum! Thanks in advance. Looking for feedback before it’s too late!

The tire/wheel combo will stick out more than an inch.

Factory is 50mm, there's 2 inches just from the offset difference, and probably a 9" wide wheel, so another half inch in wheel width outwards from center point, and then a 12.5" wide tire.

I have 33x12.5 on a +30mm wheel, and they stick out about 1.25-1.5" or so, so add another 1.25" outwards.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I put the Laughter in Slaughter, and the Fun in funeral.
KTM 450xc QUAD, Baldwin head, Ti valves, 8/06 cam, motoworks, goldspeed tires...
Gone/not forgotten: 2010 CM RW that was sweet,
NOW: 2017 Platinum. Tinted, trd duals, Exo Grapplers. Led h-lights and interior, Hard hat tonneau, line-x, Rancho uca/level'd
I like weapons. I dont capitalize, use spell check, or punctuate properly...
and you can call me Power.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Got it straight now and ordered different wheels with +18 offset. Not a huge difference but looked at others maxing out the wheel wells and liked 20 wheels with 35x12.50s the best at 2.5-3 lift. Truck goes in for the cutting-welding Monday. Should have new wheels, tires, computer etc installed and functional by the end of that day. By the end of the day Tuesday Ill have the grill and badges not chrome. Will be a few weeks before I can address the bumper. Will post some pictures when the new wheels are on.

Last edited by doghouse; 05-16-2019 at 03:21 PM.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 02:10 AM

Thanked 6,580 Times in 3,957 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Garage

Welcome aboard from SoCal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A picture is worth a thousand words
But your smile is worth a million
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 03:02 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 2,069 Times in 1,450 Posts
Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1270 Post(s)
Welcome from Dallas...

You can use this calculator to help you vision the change in wheel offset and tire sizes.
Just put you current wheel/tire size and the wheel/tire size you are considering.

https://tiresize.com/wheel-offset-calculator/

Also I'm curious on how your SR5 has a painted rear bumper?

Nothing wrong with silver.
At least having sliver matched the TOYOTA letters on your TRD Pro grille.
I had to paint mine MGM, as well as my surround.

Learn it, know it, live it.
2014 Tundra Double Cab TSS SR5 5.7
Official Magnetic Grey Club # 305
Texas Tundra Group #183
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

I'm putting on same wheels and tire size. Color of my truck is SSM, so lighter, and I won't have a custom bumper, prefer stock for now when painted on the ends. This is the closest I've seen to what I'm trying to do. I have a kit to even black out all of the badges too. I'll sit 1-2" lower but the wheels are exact in 20x9 and the grey or titanium color with 35x12.50s.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
So this just happened... gotta say I’m pretty damn pleased with how it turned out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C4937B40-6040-49AD-AB1A-2A72FB151B35_1558662341788.jpg (201.9 KB, 9 views)
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 05:03 AM
Supporting Vendor

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Welcome aboard! Thanks for joining us and showing your build - you're doing great job on it! A lot of good info here regarding mods in case you are thinking of doing any. Check out some of the garages and you may get some ideas. Come back often and post up your progress!

Toyota Tundra

Call Toll Free: 800.505.3274 |
|
|
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Member Area > New Member Introductions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in