New guy, supercharger questions - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 06:05 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
New guy, supercharger questions

Hello,

Iím the new guy to tundra talk. Iíve had my 2008 Tundra for 2 years now after having a 2000 Tacoma for 10 years and an 89 4Runner before that.

I bought a TRD 5.7 supercharger for my truck a while ago but havenít installed it yet. I had the TRD supercharger on my 3.4 Tacoma for over 60,000 miles and loved every mile of it. Basically Iím on the fence on whether to install it or not. I know the power is awesome, but I donít have the time or cash that I used to. I miss the 5 speed and no traction control of the tacoma. The tundra has good power, but with the traction control so evasive, its not as much fun. Makes me wonder if Iíll get to enjoy that extra power anywhere other than in a straight line.

I joined to see others experiences with the supercharger kit. I donít like to start a new thread, but as a new member I have to. Feel free to just point me to an existing thread.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Garage
Drives almost like stock at low RPMs due to the bypass and makes power and torque quickly as the RPMs rise. As for the nannies, there is a button to turn them off or ways to bypass most of them I hear. I installed mine mostly for the additional torque and towing, and would do it again in a heartbeat for the additional hill pulling power under load.

Its a fairly straitforward install and with the right tools can be done in a long days work(10-12 hours). Unless you are the "hulk" you will need a second set of hands to set the unit into the engine bay

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 03:15 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
my experience has been good, I currently have over 180k on my s/c and 206k on the 2012 truck itself. I tow almost daily about 2500lbs. I know the truck would be fine without the s/c, but i figured why not make it even easier plus have the additional power if I needed it. I had mine installed by dealer, I didn't have access to all the tools. I just purchased a '19 and it too will be supercharged soon. It does put a smile when you get on it and it has more pep just from daily driving. once you get used to it going back to a stock 5.7 feels like I'm in a 4 cylinder. My suggestion would be install since you got it. There was a reason why you spent several dollars. I think you will enjoy it more as a daily driver until you go to the gas station and have to put the premium gas in. But still worth it in my opinion.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 Silver Sky DC 5.7L SR5
Silver Sky Tundra Club Member #36
TWACC Member #102
Forced Induction Member #3
Tundra Campers Club Member #25

TRD Supercharger
TRD 22" Forged Alloy Wheels w/Toyo Proxess 285/45 22
TRD Sway Bar
TRD Dual Exhaust
Leer 550 Tonneau Cover

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 07:27 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMax View Post
Drives almost like stock at low RPMs due to the bypass and makes power and torque quickly as the RPMs rise. As for the nannies, there is a button to turn them off or ways to bypass most of them I hear. I installed mine mostly for the additional torque and towing, and would do it again in a heartbeat for the additional hill pulling power under load.

Its a fairly straitforward install and with the right tools can be done in a long days work(10-12 hours). Unless you are the "hulk" you will need a second set of hands to set the unit into the engine bay
MrMax! I started a thread about adding a supercharger but all I got was a couple of nay-sayers. I was wondering about any positive changes in fuel economy even with the extra horsepower. I realize its wishful thinking....adding extra horsepower then expecting better fuel mileage but, Iíve heard once you get passed the yeehaw! moment and try to drive regular that you see a slight increase in mpg. I was wondering if you experienced that even with towing.

Iím back! I now have a 2018 SR5 CrewMax, it was a display truck at a hunting/fishing expo.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 08:36 PM

Thanked 6,642 Times in 4,015 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Garage

Welcome aboard from SoCal.

When you lose one sense your other senses are enhanced.
That's why people with no sense of humor have an increased sense of freakin' importance.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 08:12 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WadmalawJoe View Post
MrMax! I started a thread about adding a supercharger but all I got was a couple of nay-sayers. I was wondering about any positive changes in fuel economy even with the extra horsepower. I realize its wishful thinking....adding extra horsepower then expecting better fuel mileage but, Iíve heard once you get passed the yeehaw! moment and try to drive regular that you see a slight increase in mpg. I was wondering if you experienced that even with towing.
If and that is a big IF...you can manage to keep your foot out of it my fuel economy increased slightly. I am usually towing or hauling something with my truck and appreciate the extra power the SC provides. The best feeling is when you are towing something up a grade at highway speed and the truck shifts down a gear and starts building boost. Instead of having to further press the GO peddle I often find myself easing ouff of it as the rig begins to accelerate up the hill

Back to your question...You may notice a 0.5mpg increase in economy but will be driving very grandpa-ish to do so. As long as I drive normally I notice little to no decrease in fuel economy. It simply does not work as hard doing the same work.

I realize I am probably not the norm as I don't hot rod my truck. Its a 6K pound crew cab...lol...If I want o go fast I either hop on one of the bikes or mustangs.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 08:24 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nbailey1949 View Post
Hello,

I bought a TRD 5.7 supercharger for my truck a while ago but havenít installed it yet.
Welcome from Georgia, how many miles do you have on your '08? My '07 has 285k, and the consensus is that there are too many miles on the engine / transmission to risk a SC installation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Member Area > New Member Introductions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in