Looking at Tundra’s & keeping finding Cam Tower leaks - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Looking at Tundra’s & keeping finding Cam Tower leaks

Hello all,
I am currently looking at Tundra’s and looking to trade my 2016 Toyota 4Runner. So far I have not had great luck. I have looked at 3 and all 3 had the cam tower leak. First one was a 2012 DC Rock Warrior with 62,000 miles. Second one was a 2013 DC With 65,000 miles. Third one was a 2011 DC Rock Warrior with 78,000 miles. Talk about a let down. I have my heart set on nothing but a Tundra but this is aggravating me and I don’t even own one yet. Is this really that common of an occurrence? Seriously about to go to car lots after hours and just start checking as many used Tundra’s as I can to see how many I can find that have it. I am willing to bet there is a lot of people that have it but don’t even know it because it’s not leaking bad enough yet to drip onto the ground. All 3 that I looked at were dry underneath but once you checked from the side (behind the wheel) you could see it leaking.
One thing to note, the one I just looked at today was leaking the least amount out of all 3 that I looked at. Also the dealer offered to fix it for me if I really wanted the truck. Only thing that concerns me with that is it’s a Chevy dealer and not a Toyota dealer. Other thing is it’s only leaking on one side so only one side would be getting fixed. So how long until the other side would start leaking.

Thoughts anybody?

Thanks for any insight you can provide.
The Following User Says Thank You to Stevo2vabch For This Useful Post:
ACDan (06-24-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 08:54 AM

Thanked 6,344 Times in 3,776 Posts
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Garage

Welcome to the forum from The Pacific South West.

A picture is worth a thousand words
But your smile is worth a million
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 09:08 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo2vabch View Post
Hello all,
I am currently looking at Tundra’s and looking to trade my 2016 Toyota 4Runner. So far I have not had great luck. I have looked at 3 and all 3 had the cam tower leak. First one was a 2012 DC Rock Warrior with 62,000 miles. Second one was a 2013 DC With 65,000 miles. Third one was a 2011 DC Rock Warrior with 78,000 miles. Talk about a let down. I have my heart set on nothing but a Tundra but this is aggravating me and I don’t even own one yet. Is this really that common of an occurrence? Seriously about to go to car lots after hours and just start checking as many used Tundra’s as I can to see how many I can find that have it. I am willing to bet there is a lot of people that have it but don’t even know it because it’s not leaking bad enough yet to drip onto the ground. All 3 that I looked at were dry underneath but once you checked from the side (behind the wheel) you could see it leaking.
One thing to note, the one I just looked at today was leaking the least amount out of all 3 that I looked at. Also the dealer offered to fix it for me if I really wanted the truck. Only thing that concerns me with that is it’s a Chevy dealer and not a Toyota dealer. Other thing is it’s only leaking on one side so only one side would be getting fixed. So how long until the other side would start leaking.

Thoughts anybody?

Thanks for any insight you can provide.
I’m sure the Chevy dealer has no idea what is involved to properly fix that leak. I have a 2016 5.7 with 30k miles and is completely dry so far.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian20 View Post
Iím sure the Chevy dealer has no idea what is involved to properly fix that leak. I have a 2016 5.7 with 30k miles and is completely dry so far.
Why would you say that? They all subscribe to similar services that supply shop manuals for vehicles and have access to hours for the job and step by step directions. Granted the salesman probably has no clue, but that doesn't mean a "chevy mechanic" is incapable with other brands.

2011 Crewmax Limited 4x4

Tundra with a camper club #???
Charcoal filter delete
(Century) Leer cap Plastidipped white
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottsville View Post
Quote:
I’m sure the Chevy dealer has no idea what is involved to properly fix that leak. I have a 2016 5.7 with 30k miles and is completely dry so far.
Why would you say that? They all subscribe to similar services that supply shop manuals for vehicles and have access to hours for the job and step by step directions. Granted the salesman probably has no clue, but that doesn't mean a "chevy mechanic" is incapable with other brands.
Lol, I said Chevy DEALER, not mechanic. No Chevy DEALER will want to touch that.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 09:38 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Lol, I said Chevy DEALER, not mechanic. No Chevy DEALER will want to touch that.
And yet, the Chevy DEALER offered to....

2011 Crewmax Limited 4x4

Tundra with a camper club #???
Charcoal filter delete
(Century) Leer cap Plastidipped white
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottsville View Post
Quote:
And yet, the Chevy DEALER offered to....
Ok dude you win, uncle...lol, geeez.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 08:12 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Buy a new one.

2018 TRD OffRoad 5.7 gasser
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Member Area > New Member Introductions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in