Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Hello from South Florida

295 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  george2016 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,
First time truck owner and it's great, don't think I ever want to go back to a car. I use it for recreation and commute. Ended up buying a used 2016 Toyota Tundra SR5 Double Cab 4.6 with 18k miles. Since I've bought it, I replaced the stock steel wheels with Toyota OEM alloy wheels, the stock Bridgestone Dueler H/Ts (255-70-18) with Michelin LTX AT2s (275-65-18), ceramic window tint 20% on front doors (rears came with smoke glass), added tundra floor liners, and installed an UnderCover UltraFlex tonneau - which I bought after I returned an Extang Solid Fold 2.0. No plans on lifting, maybe just increase the tire size a tad when when these ones are ready to go.

Immediately after I bought it, I started running into issues with high rev'ing in low gear. Either leaving my driveway, taking off from a red light or stop sign, and even slow riding the parking lot, I felt like when I pressed on the gas it acted almost as if it were in neutral and would only rev until it finally into gear. It didn't feel normal and it definitely didn't feel like that when I was test driving it along with other 4.6L double cabs. I took it to the dealership and they told me it was perfectly fine and no error codes came up from diagnosing. I told myself OK maybe this is just normal for a V8 truck - I didn't know. But it kept doing it after I took it home - so frustrating.

Finally I did an "idle-relearn" which seems to have fixed it for the moment - haven't driven it that much since but it seems to drive like the trucks I test drove before purchase. I' was thinking maybe the previous owner hauled heavy loads on a daily basis and the truck was used to that style of driving? Any one else run into this?

Attachments

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.