LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
First Time Truck Buyer!

Hey everyone,
I've been following this site for so long and finally just decided it was time to become a member because I'm getting closer and closer to actually buying the truck. I'm looking at the 1st Get Tundras (anywhere from 2000-2006 unless there were significant improvements between certain years). It seems like this is easily the best value for the money as far as reliable used trucks go. I just had a few questions that can hopefully be answered by others on here who have experience or advice before I buy one, anything is helpful and appreciated, thanks in advance and I apologize for the long post, I tried to keep it short!

A few things to consider...
-I'm a college student also paying for tuition so my budget is pretty limited (about 9-10k right now but I'm going to continue to put money away to mod this truck)
-This truck is going to be my daily driver and also weekend/freetime adventure car and needs to last a solid 2-4 more years
-2WD vs 4WD doesn't matter to me at all considering the type of off roading I plan to do, I'm indifferent either way

My three main concerns/questions are mileage, suspension for my specific off road plans, and typical maintenance I need to expect.

--- For mileage, it seems like there are plenty of Tundras at reasonable prices, but they're all in the 150-200k mile range. Is that a problem? Or if the seller has records and receipts etc and since its a Toyota that shouldn't matter much?

--- Next (here's the main uncertainty hahah), I go to college at the UofA in Tucson AZ and I'm not much of a partier at all, meaning there's not a whole lot to do, so I want to make this my new hobby. Being Arizona, its obviously really dry and there's literally countless patches of desert and dirt that (to my knowledge) can be driven on and explored. However, I'm not interested in 'Jeeping' or rock climbing, my main goal for this truck is to be able to get decent speeds/donuts/drifting turns on dirt roads, fire roads, etc and just have a solid vehicle for that. I was looking at 4th gen 4runners too, but it seems like the truck with its weight distribution and all that is better for what I'm looking for and can handle it better (am I correct in assuming that?). My friend has an '08 Silverado with completely stock suspension (but has BFG KO2's) and he absolutely hoons that thing to the point you feel like the truck is going to flip at nearly every turn. He's doing long-travel in the future but for the time being, he has had no problems besides a popped tire for about a year of frequent, aggressive off-roading. What he does is out of my comfort zone for now, but I do want that type of drivability available because that's what I'm aiming for when I become confident driving like that. Considering I want to spend the least amount possible and still have fun, can I get away with only buying quality, beefy A/T tires and be perfectly fine otherwise or do I need shocks/struts to achieve what I want? I've done tons of research and heard you can put you stock springs over Bilstein 5100's and get decent lift and better performance off road, is that true and would you recommend that for my circumstance?

--- And finally, I basically want to know if I buy a decently high mileage truck, what am I going to need to replace if I want this thing to run for another 50-75k miles AT LEAST.

Thank you so much and any advice/expertise is really appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 12:39 AM

Thanked 6,338 Times in 3,770 Posts
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Garage

Welcome aboard from the home of Naval Base San Diego.

A picture is worth a thousand words
But your smile is worth a million
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Member Area > New Member Introductions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in