What is the best tonneau cover - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
What is the best tonneau cover

I recently bought my second Tundra. Had the first one for 12 years. The new one is a 2017 SR5 with 6.5' bed and bed rails.
What is the best cover? preferably not soft.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 05:52 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOCuiv View Post
I recently bought my second Tundra. Had the first one for 12 years. The new one is a 2017 SR5 with 6.5' bed and bed rails.
Check Diamondback out. Not cheap though...

https://diamondbackcovers.com/collections/covers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Will

Tired of the Domestic Three, future Tundra Double Cab 5.7 4X4 Trailer package owner.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 06:43 PM

Thanked 10,708 Times in 5,784 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1656 Post(s)
This all depends on usage.

I wanted a semi-rigid cover. I went with an Advantage Hard Hat. It is hard underneath, but still soft on top. Tri-fold design.

One was damaged, possibly in shipping. One had threads sticking out. I will admit I am very picky.

Since getting one that was 100% to my satisfaction I am happy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I put the Laughter in Slaughter, and the Fun in funeral.
KTM 450xc QUAD, Baldwin head, Ti valves, 8/06 cam, motoworks, goldspeed tires...
Gone/not forgotten: 2010 CM RW that was sweet,
NOW: 2017 Platinum. Tinted, trd duals, Exo Grapplers. Led h-lights and interior, Hard hat tonneau, line-x, Rancho uca/level'd
I like weapons. I dont capitalize, use spell check, or punctuate properly...
and you can call me Power.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 09:24 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Diamondback is the coolest.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 09:25 PM
Stealth Ninja Moderator
Premium Member

Thanked 31,199 Times in 14,254 Posts
Mentioned: 914 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11294 Post(s)
Garage
The best tonneau is, sadly, no longer being made.

2015 Tundra CrewMax 1794 2WD

ddd
ddd

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 09:41 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Got a Retrax Pro MX for my Tundra. Really like the retractable feature so I still have full use of the bed if needed. Just wish it was a little more waterproof though.
https://www.retrax.com/p-36464-retraxpro-mx.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joe

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 10:17 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenD View Post
The best tonneau is, sadly, no longer being made.
False, Diamondbacks are still being produced.

All kidding aside the diamondbacks are nice but really overpriced.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 10:22 PM
Stealth Ninja Moderator
Premium Member

Thanked 31,199 Times in 14,254 Posts
Mentioned: 914 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11294 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave, View Post
False, Diamondbacks are still being produced.

All kidding aside the diamondbacks are nice but really overpriced.
Way, way too bulky.

2015 Tundra CrewMax 1794 2WD

ddd
ddd

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2017, 12:14 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenD View Post
Way, way too bulky.

And they make the bed generally inaccessible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2017 BR Tundra TRD Pro
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOCuiv View Post
I went with an Undercover Flex on my 2017 DC SR5 with factory installed OEM bed rails. Here's a link that may be of use: https://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tun...bed-cover.html

It's been about 14 months and I'm extremely happy with the cover. The drain tubes are installed but honestly, mine is about 90% leak proof even torrential rain. Frankly, the small amount of water that comes in may even be from when I lift the lid after the rain

So far, my only concern is that the rear latches have started to rust. Purely a cosmetic issue right now but eventually I'll probably need to replace them. Considering the outstanding form and function of the cover, I consider the issue to be really minor.

If I had to do it again, I'd get the same exact cover!
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 10:08 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Well its been a year now and the lopro that i got continues to do the job. I wanted a softtop that could roll up when i needed to and pretty sturdy in 75-80mph on the highway.

Black 16'DC Tundra SR5/SR5 upgraded package acquired 4/15/16: NFAB W2W Nerf Bars, Truxedo LoPro bedcover, TRD rear sway bar, BedRug bed liner, 20% tint, BAM 8 Muffler system, TRD 18 OEM wheels. Fuel Mavericks 20s on Wildpeak AT3W. From Loudoun VA

Previous:93 FZJ-80, 97 4Runner SR5, 03 4Runner SR5 Sport

"Donít let yourself get attached to anything you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you feel the heat around the corner.Ē
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 10:28 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
I went with the Fold-a-Cover, it was the only folding tonneau cover I could find, other than the Diamondback, that couldn't be opened in two seconds with a coat hanger. It was the only one under $1k for sure.

Pros: Folds open from the front or back and has four sections so it locks open with 3/4 of the bed open, and folds flat when locking open so you can still see out the back. More secure than 99% of the lighter duty folding tonneaus out there. Still removes fairly easily with a small wrench if you need the whole bed temporarily. Locks front and back independently, and a tool box is available that fits under the front. Priced competitively with the BakFlips and similar.

Cons: Not 100% waterproof, I get very small trickles in big enough rain storms. Not much, and only at the corners, but it's there. It dimpled in a hail storm, not sure I can complain much about that but it's there. They don't sell through dealers, direct only, so you'd have to pay extra for install if you need it(I put mine in, not a big deal).

FYI I don't get paid or have any affiliation with the company. I think I'm one of the few on here who have one.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 11:41 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeAddict View Post
I went with the Fold-a-Cover, it was the only folding tonneau cover I could find, other than the Diamondback, that couldn't be opened in two seconds with a coat hanger. It was the only one under $1k for sure.

Pros: Folds open from the front or back and has four sections so it locks open with 3/4 of the bed open, and folds flat when locking open so you can still see out the back. More secure than 99% of the lighter duty folding tonneaus out there. Still removes fairly easily with a small wrench if you need the whole bed temporarily. Locks front and back independently, and a tool box is available that fits under the front. Priced competitively with the BakFlips and similar.

Cons: Not 100% waterproof, I get very small trickles in big enough rain storms. Not much, and only at the corners, but it's there. It dimpled in a hail storm, not sure I can complain much about that but it's there. They don't sell through dealers, direct only, so you'd have to pay extra for install if you need it(I put mine in, not a big deal).

FYI I don't get paid or have any affiliation with the company. I think I'm one of the few on here who have one.
I picked a new Fold a Cover off Craigslist for half price a few months ago and got it installed a few weeks ago. So you're not the only one anymore! Bummed to hear about the hail resistance though. That was one of my main concerns since it hails here all the damn time. All in all, I really like it. Do you have the tailgate weather strip? Wondering if that's worth it or not.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 11:55 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieb View Post
I picked a new Fold a Cover off Craigslist for half price a few months ago and got it installed a few weeks ago. So you're not the only one anymore! Bummed to hear about the hail resistance though. That was one of my main concerns since it hails here all the damn time. All in all, I really like it. Do you have the tailgate weather strip? Wondering if that's worth it or not.

Cool! Make sure to re-check the alignment in a little while to make sure it's settled in the way you want. I have the weather strip but I've never installed it. I'll get around to it eventually, I think it would help a bit for wind-driven rain while parked. Most of the stuff I put back there is water-resistant for now so I haven't been too worried.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Member Area > New Member Introductions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in