First Tundra...already shaking my head - Page 3 - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 08:29 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 3,137 Times in 2,064 Posts
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1509 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by morser77 View Post
Good to hear its nothing major. You know the amount of chit we woulda given you if it was?!?! Surprised you don't do your own oil changes. You still on the free ones?
I would expect a mountain of crap blown my way if it blew up. Lol

If it does I'll post the truth and take my lumps like a man
The Following User Says Thank You to Breathing Borla For This Useful Post:
riccnick (04-25-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 09:48 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by morser77 View Post
Mine was installed by the dealer but it's not a Toyota brand starter, maybe that's why it's different.
That's exactly why, that aftermarket remote starts won`t shut the truck off after opening the door, the ignition usually will shut off if you step on the brake before putting key in the ignition, the factory remote starts usually suck, I worked for Toyota for many years and every truck I bought got an aftermarket remote start
The Following User Says Thank You to dekra63 For This Useful Post:
morser77 (04-24-2015)
post #33 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 11:43 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
I have a 2015 Tundra, but I don't have a remote starter, I don't even have a remote. Will I wear out the tundra key by having to use it twice each time I drive, once to unlock the door and then again to start the car? Will parking valets know how to drive a keyed lock and ignition vehicle instead of the newest car remotes and pushbutton starters they obtain expert degrees for? What if my absence of parking assist causes a brain aneurysm in the parking attendant as he is trying to figure out how to park the truck manually? Will I be liable for his injury for failure to provide proper safety gear for all children not left behind? Even if they should have been?

post #34 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-25-2015, 12:31 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,431 Posts
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1245 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chphilo View Post
I don't have a remote starter, but if the engine doesn't shut off, can you drive off without your key? Does the engine stay on until you get to your destination?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekra63 View Post
That's exactly why, that aftermarket remote starts won`t shut the truck off after opening the door, the ignition usually will shut off if you step on the brake before putting key in the ignition, the factory remote starts usually suck, I worked for Toyota for many years and every truck I bought got an aftermarket remote start

^ this is how my Compustar remote start/alarm works..

The factory remote start not only shuts off when you open the door, the range on it sucks.
I was very fortunate to have a Toyota salesman honest enough to talk me out of the factory remote start and recommend ANY aftermarket remote start.
It doesn't make sense to have to start your engine twice..

And with certain aftermarket systems you can use your smartphone to lock, unlock, start, and stop your engine from anywhere.
I can punch out at work, start the truck, and have it heated or cooled by the time I get to the truck.
I can start the truck, even if the valet has the keys, and get it heated or cooled before my bride and I get in.
Easy to tell the valet, "it will be the one that is already running"...
We valet park a lot...
I don't know how the stock remote start works, but if I remote start my truck, it starts a 15 minute timer to keep running and shuts off if I don't get to it in that time..
My remote has a range of 500 feet, unlimited range if i use my iPhone...

Learn it, know it, live it.
2014 Tundra Double Cab TSS SR5 5.7
Official Magnetic Grey Club # 305
Texas Tundra Group #183
post #35 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-25-2015, 12:40 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumgai View Post
I have a 2015 Tundra, but I don't have a remote starter, I don't even have a remote. Will I wear out the tundra key by having to use it twice each time I drive, once to unlock the door and then again to start the car? Will parking valets know how to drive a keyed lock and ignition vehicle instead of the newest car remotes and pushbutton starters they obtain expert degrees for? What if my absence of parking assist causes a brain aneurysm in the parking attendant as he is trying to figure out how to park the truck manually? Will I be liable for his injury for failure to provide proper safety gear for all children not left behind? Even if they should have been?
Believe it or not.... I used to have a television that I had to change the channel at the TV itself. I know what your thinking.... But it's no BS. I can't believe I made it through life with all that effort I put out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

That's right... It's an 14' with a foot print gas pedal and a Hurst speed shifter with a pool-ball grip.
Build Log Here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

14' Tundra 1794 Save The Chrome Club #46
02' Tundra Limited (Gone)
post #36 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 10:56 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Here's the hidden downfall of remote start. My buddy is a long time Audio AV installer. He has done thousands of remote starts. He says that even the best of them (no matter if they're aftermarket or OEM) will occasionally have an issue where the remote start system will get stuck in "start" mode and just burn out the starter as the rig just keeps engaging the starter after its already started. Sure as heck, the only remote start I ever had did the same damn thing on day. I came out after it had been started for 5 minutes or so and it was just grinding away.

Also, it's definitely not great for the engine to be warmed up. This isn't an old small block 350. If you have a carb/choke/etc, of course you need to warm it up. But modern engines don't need it and it actually accelerates engine wear. Maybe doesn't make a difference on a solid motor like our 5.7, but still. Wastes gas, etc.

2014 TT TRD Crewmax Magnetic Grey
TRD True Duals & TRD CAI
EXTANG solid tri-fold Tonneau
Weather Tech Digital Floor Mats
4.30, Tow & Cold Pkg Mich. AT2

Just Sold: Super White 2011 DC
5.7L 4x4 6.5' Bed
post #37 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 12:38 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
While my wife's 2013 4Runner (push button ignition) turns off after she remotely starts it and turns off after a predetermined time. We were under the impression it does that to stop vehicle theft.
post #38 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 08:23 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 7,503 Times in 3,873 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 1862 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZTundra77 View Post
Here's the hidden downfall of remote start. My buddy is a long time Audio AV installer. He has done thousands of remote starts. He says that even the best of them (no matter if they're aftermarket or OEM) will occasionally have an issue where the remote start system will get stuck in "start" mode and just burn out the starter as the rig just keeps engaging the starter after its already started. Sure as heck, the only remote start I ever had did the same damn thing on day. I came out after it had been started for 5 minutes or so and it was just grinding away.

Also, it's definitely not great for the engine to be warmed up. This isn't an old small block 350. If you have a carb/choke/etc, of course you need to warm it up. But modern engines don't need it and it actually accelerates engine wear. Maybe doesn't make a difference on a solid motor like our 5.7, but still. Wastes gas, etc.
I'm no mechanic nor am I an audio guy, but I'd think when it's single digit temps where I live it's a good thing to warm up the motor for at least 5 mins...but what do I know??

PHP Code:

2008 Tundra DoubleCab 5.7 TRD 295/70/18 Cooper ST Maxx BORA 1" wheel spacers TRD Rear sway bar TRD front skid plate TRD CAI Carrier bearing drop Front diff spacer BA Muffler 6" system Firestick II antenna Debadged BHLM
post #39 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 08:45 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathing Borla View Post
Problem is I have a lifetime bumper to bumper on this pos
That's only as good as the one working on it...
post #40 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 02:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZTundra77 View Post

This usually seems to come up in every conversation, but at this point I don't think many people are warming it up for the engines sake. I do it because I don't want my fingers to freeze to the steering wheel when I leave for work in the morning. I'd rather sacrifice some gas and minor engine wear to not be shivering for the first 5-10 minutes of my commute, driving in a winter coat and gloves.

2014 DC Off Road
Silver Sky Tundra Club #181

post #41 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 03:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Garage
EZTundra77 - Bad luck man. It's unfortunate that it had to happen to you.

I had a Viper remote start (with 2-way remotes) installed in my last two Fords, and now in my Tundra. I'd suspect the culprit for the random start sequences are the ease to which some of the starters can be engaged (pocket-pressed). I've had all of my remotes programmed to require two presses to start, and have not many problems.

Tundra Campers Club #70
Silver Sky Tundra Club Member #197
-----------------------------------
2015 Tundra SR5 CM 5.7L FFV
Done: Stealth LED Light Bar, Line-X, Access Lorado Tonneau, Aluminum Running Boards, Viper 4806v, Icom 5100A Installed, Husky Contour Floor Mats, Locker Down Console Safe, Towing Mirrors

post #42 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 03:32 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
After seeing your post on the 1794, I wouldn't get too upset, it seems many manufactures are less than stellar here and it seems more of a gimmick.

I had a top of the line Grand Cherokee I spent more than I care to admit. This was one of many items on the list I initially thought was a failure, but soon found it to be "normal". You could start it from the fob, or an app on your phone which was nice. If someone were to try and break in while running, or if someone was in the vehicle when you did this, opening the door would shut it down unless you had the fob on your person. In the case of someone being in the vehicle allready when you started it, they could not drive the vehicle, or manipulate any settings. So, the security side was good. When starting up remotely however, the fan would barely push air regardless of heat or AC. Putting your hand on it, you could not feel air moving; I believe the auto setting was 2 of 10. Additionally, it would not turn on the heated or cooled seats, defrosters, etc. unless you did it manually. As soon as the Fob entered the vehicle, the air would start to blow, but you still needed to turn the other items on. So, in the end, all it did was warm up the engine for you, which means the only value would be you have instant hot or cool air. It was pretty much useless and I thought it was a problem, only to find out that it was "as designed"...

So, from hearing you and others, it sounds to me like this is one of those "keep up with the Jones", "features" that mfg's put on it just to compete. I also imagine there are logistics, like Toyota where you actually need a key rather than a fob to drive the vehicle.
post #43 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 06:33 PM

I was born in a harsh Detroit winter back in '77. Big storm that year. My mom didn't have a car. Cold don't bother me.

TRD True Duals & TRD CAI

5.7L 4x4 6.5' Bed
post #44 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ng0m View Post
EZTundra77 - Bad luck man. It's unfortunate that it had to happen to you.

I had a Viper remote start (with 2-way remotes) installed in my last two Fords, and now in my Tundra. I'd suspect the culprit for the random start sequences are the ease to which some of the starters can be engaged (pocket-pressed). I've had all of my remotes programmed to require two presses to start, and have not many problems.
Thanks. Luckily it didn't ruin my starter. But I'm sure it couldn't have gone on much longer like that. As far as why it happened...I'm pretty sure it was a malfunction on the auto start because I carry my keys on a lanyard around my neck and they were outside my jacket at the time. And it was engaging in very rapid, evenly spaced succession like a pulse. Who knows.

TRD True Duals & TRD CAI

5.7L 4x4 6.5' Bed
post #45 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthemaiden View Post
This usually seems to come up in every conversation, but at this point I don't think many people are warming it up for the engines sake. I do it because I don't want my fingers to freeze to the steering wheel when I leave for work in the morning. I'd rather sacrifice some gas and minor engine wear to not be shivering for the first 5-10 minutes of my commute, driving in a winter coat and gloves.
Yeah, I get that. If our 5.7's are built like most Toyota motors (which I believe they are), they're gonna outlast other major systems on the vehicle so the added engine wear by letting them idle for 10 minutes while they're cold probably isn't gonna make a difference.

It's just that I spend some extra coin on premium Group 4 PAO synthetic motor oil in an effort to squeeze a little extra efficiency and more importantly longevity out of the motor so it's hard to think about taking steps backwards in that dept. I suppose the 2 practices could even eachother out in a way.

Regardless, I still wouldn't recommend auto start to anybody based on my buddy's advice and based on my experience. If I chose to warm mine up, I would just do it the old fashioned way and walk out there to do it. Just my 2 . That plus $7- will buy you a cup of coffee at Starschmucks. Or a soy venti frapacrapino thai chi foamy tea drink..

TRD True Duals & TRD CAI

5.7L 4x4 6.5' Bed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Member Area > New Member Introductions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in