User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 12:11 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
New Tundra Owner

Hi. I just bought a new, 2014 white Tundra about three weeks ago, and used the comments on this site to help me decide. I always drive Toyota- I like to have no repairs. Ever.

I never owned a truck before, and drive 150 miles a day to work, with 148 miles of the commute on a busy highway commute with big, big trucks on it. It has lots of deer and snow and ice and heavy rain, wrecks, speeders- I've even had tires blow off of trucks and hit my windshield. I thought that I might be more comfortable on the road in a big truck. So far, I am very pleased on the highway and in the ice and snow. I am a somewhat older woman and drive a lot for my job.

I don't want to get a bunch of jokes, but some serious driving tips are appreciated. I've driven box trucks before for moving our kids and things, and had a big SUV for awhile. So far, I have noticed that backing up is pretty easy with the rear camera, but terrible if I don't use it. I back into my parking space and take my time.

I find that I need to really focus on how long the truck is (double cab, regular bed). I merged across three lanes of traffic, and the angle was such that I almost clipped somebody with the back end, when a car wouldn't have been a problem. I am sure it won't fit into a parking garage.

Passing is easy, vision is clear on the highways. I note that the hood makes a big blind spot when turning from a level road to a steep downhill road! At intersections, the mirrors are a possible blind spot to watch for. On the snow, I put it in 4W and out, at 55 mph or lower, depending if there was slippage and snow, and that worked pretty well. I am used to a "hill descent control" and now I am just shifting over and dropping to first if it is an icy downhill.

I would like to add a top to it or a lid with the springs on it. I haven't figured out what to do with our big dogs, either- I don't want them dirtying up the back seat area, so might try to find some soft sided dog crates to fit back there with the seats up.

I am quite pleased with the truck for a commuting vehicle on a very busy highway with deer and snow and big trucks. My gas mileage has ranged from about 14 mpg, to a strange high of 18 mpg last week, with 17 as the typical.

Thanks for the advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 07:52 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome from NH!

Jim in NH

'14 Silver Sky/Graphite LTD CM TRD, Moonroof, Driver Side Grab Handle, TRD Exhaust, CAI and Rear Sway, LineX Premium, Rugged 2 Hard Cover, Undercover Swing Cases, PIAA 1500 Backup Lamps, Color Matched Grill Surround, Black Billet Grille, Pop & Lock, Hertz/Audison sound system with Fox Box, Color Matched Door Handles & Mirror Covers, TRD Pro Suspension, CB +1 Shackles & Bushings, LT 275/70R18 LTX A/T2, TRD Pro Skid Plate.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 07:58 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Tip one.

Welcome to TT now enjoy the site and the truck

Seriously, it takes some people longer than others to get used to driving a larger vehicle. Just take your time and feel how your truck responds to different situations.

In the snow and ice I wouldn't be shifting into 4wd on the fly until you are used to it. If bad snow on the road you still have to slow down.

What I used to tell my younger soldiers. When snowing or ice, and you have 4wd you get complacent and an over sense of security. All 4wd or AWD really means that you will hit whatever at a higher speed, so you have to still slow down.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
E-Z Lift Levelling Kit
TAG Wincher Bumper
Warn Zeon 8 winch
4- Hella 500Ff fogs
Vision X xmitter LED Lightbar
Ionic Running Boards
Borla 14817 CBE
Downey Skid Plate

Last edited by JR's2006; 01-16-2015 at 08:03 AM.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 12:59 PM
mdl
Premium MemberPremium Member

Thanked 1,789 Times in 1,158 Posts
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Welcome to the forum! In time you will get use to the larger size. A canopy for the dogs is a plus, especially with rain. I don't have a canopy and would put two large crates in the back against the rear window. Although my GSD's ride inside with me.

Supercharged 2007 DC 4X4, ASP SC pulley, JBA LT's, 3 inch dual race exhaust by Dirtydeeds, Shift Kit, Auburn LSD, AEM 325 FP, SABM, Icon, Camburg UCA, Coahbuilder1
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the suggestions, all! Helpful :-) Like you say, it just takes some time to get used to it.

Yeah, I wouldn't put my dogs in the back, just the back seat. I don't like them to come up front though. GSD?

I might think about a camper type top for the back, in time. I see that there are some really nice looking ones on here.

The driving is getting easier, and I am taking it slowly. I love the truck- the 4Runner only has the 6 cylinder and my old one had the 8 cylinder ('07). And, to me, the current 4Runners look like dragonfly bug eyeballs in the front. The Tundra ('14 Limited, white) is pretty, for a truck, and if I need to pass somebody, the thing goes.

I am shocked that I can back it up. That camera is very nice. I wouldn't have bought it without it.

I had it in snow without the 4W on, and honestly, I felt that I was fine even not using it. It is a nicely driving vehicle on the highway, too, not rough at all. I feel better out on the highway in it, and I can see well at night. I looked at the FJ and it was tippy in curves and also had some horrific blind spots, in my opinion. The interior wasn't very nice, either. I did like the 4Runner Trail Premium, but the engine on the Tundra was nicer and I felt that I got so much more value for my money with it than the 4Runner.

Thanks again for the welcome!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 05:08 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Garage
I thought my commute was bad, round trip for a 24 hour shift is about 100 miles.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Yeah, that is not a good commute either! I do love my job, so it is the only downside. And, hey, driving a nice vehicle helps! I'm liking the free XM, but not sure I'll spring for it when my free XM is finished.

Thanks, all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Member Area > New Member Introductions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in