LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
AIP bypass kit installation

Greetings,
I have been wanting to do the plug and play kit on my Tundra (2008). My only concern is the block off plates. The instructions state that the steel tubes may be difficult to pry apart and compress enough for the plate. Can any of you share hints or experiences?
Thanks,
bc
BTW, I did search for information but found none about this.
bc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 02:09 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 36,026 Times in 17,766 Posts
Mentioned: 1574 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11364 Post(s)
i just went through this a few days ago.
my check engine light went on, took it to the dealer who said its the aip pumps and they want $2900.
i took it home and ordered the $199 bypass kit off ebay.
same thing it says i need to install the plates.
well, i installed the module on the MAF sensor, pulled the battery terminal and let the ECU reset.
Lo and behold the check engine light went away and the truck no longer is in limp mode.
i'm not going to install the plates,
I looked at it and its a major PITA to even get to it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
That will be OK as long as the valves seal up securely. If not, hot exhaust gases will blow back through the system and possibly cause a hazard near the plenum and fuel rail. Those air tubes between the pumps and valves are plastic and not designed for high heat. Past the valves, they are SST.

Thanks,

bc

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 03:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I did install the block off plates without removing any large components in the engine bay, I may have loosen some small stuff but it is a long time ago. Did it at home, so you do not need a lift.
I would buy new bolts for the pipes just as a precaution as mine where bad and needed to be changed. Be sure to spray them down with some penetrate lube before you get started.

If I remember correctly the drivers side where a real P.I.T.A to reach. I would recommend to try and get the plates inn without loosen the bolts all the way.
I used some time to work the plates in and push the pipes together again.

The plates did seal in my case, have not noticed any leaks. Soon been running 5 years with the plates and bypasskit

Last edited by janarel; 04-13-2019 at 04:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra DIY's > Maintenance & Repair

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in