Problems with my newly purchased 2006 tundra TRD 4x4 - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Angry Problems with my newly purchased 2006 tundra TRD 4x4

Yup, just bought this fully loaded Tundra SRD with the offroad package(TRD)from a dealer and having issues right off the bat. Just sold my nissan frontier with 200 000km and thought Id upgrade to a v8. I gotta say, either than the problems that I will get to, ........I love this truck. The smooth shifting, power, comfort, room and options are worth the money. And now for the bad news.........the truck has just over 90 000km and I've only put 500km on it to get it back home. On the way the ABS light came on and stayed on. The light will remain on and then go off and on.......and off....and on.The brake fluid level is where it should be and there is no spongyness or signs of brake issues what so ever. Also, just the other day my friend the "engine light" decided to join the party and it has remained on since the "ABS light" started the party. I'm going to get a diagnostics done on the trucks computer and update the crew for those with similiar problems. Has anyone had issues like this? And regarding limited slip diff. does it have anything to do with "Shift L" button, I know dumb question but I have to ask. And when do I use it (4x4LO?) I hate manuals by the way!

Any info would be great guys, I'll keep you posted on any news.

Last edited by Canadiantundra06; 04-20-2010 at 12:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 10:22 PM

I think I'd be giving the dealer I bought it from a call if I were you. Did he include a warranty? exchange privilege? there's gotta be some recourse against him.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2010 CM Platinum

ARE Z series cap
Nasta SS step bars
Huskyliner paint protection
Line X spray in bedliner

Black Tundra club member #8
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
2006 Tundra TRD Crew

Its the first place I called, they told me that I would have to swallow the cost of the diag. .....I told them I don't swallow and to cut the BS I bought this truck 500km ago. The service rep agreed to cover the cost of the diag. when I have it done. Been reading alot of forums and I'm going to check gas cap, fluids etc. The only thing I did with this truck was spray a bit of rust check in a can on some rust spots. Don't remember spraying anything I shouldn't of. I talked to Mech. and he said I may have sprayed some oil on the ABS sensor teeth located on the front spline, he wasn't sure if theres a guard on the sensor or not?

I did get the bumper to bumper warrenty 3yr 60 000km

Any thoughts on the "shift L" button? I was told its for climbing steep inclines in 4lo?

Last edited by Canadiantundra06; 04-20-2010 at 12:20 AM.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 02:20 AM
kit

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Yea I'm not sure man because I don't have a TRD model. And for the abs light I haven't the clue.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 10:48 AM

Because it is a five speed trans, they decided to put first gear as a button instead of on the regular shifter. Its really no different than having the button at the end of the shift lever to control fifth, since its all electronically controlled anyway. I use the L button only when going down extremely steep grades to keep from heating the brakes. 4LO is only for rock crawling and the like. Since I use 4x4 primarily for snow, Ive only put it in 4LO once, just to know that it works. The L button is on all models, 2WD included, so it has nothing to do with the 4WD option.
The Following User Says Thank You to nikita For This Useful Post:
Canadiantundra06 (04-20-2010)
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Canadiantundra06

Thanks "Nikita" for simplifing this button. I figured it was along those lines. Its a great help and appreciated, better explained than that damn owners manual! So Im guessing and again sorry for the stupid question, but that there is a button for limited slip? I rememeber someone on these forums mentioning that the tdr offroad package comes with limited slip is this true? or is it automatically engaged when 4x4 is on?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 06:31 PM

The limited slip is not the same as a locker or traction control. Its on the rear only and is always working. Its simple mechanical technology that has been around for over half a century. Only use the fluid specified in the owners manual. A buddy "upgraded" to synthetic fluid and it started to chatter.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Canadiantundra06

Just an update on that ABS and Engine light that come on my dash (My original problem) Had a diagnostics done and it would seem that the ABS was caused from a faulty speed sensor in the right back wheel and the engine was caused from a EVAC sensor of some sort,incorrect purge, pluuged valve. I do have the codes if anyone needs them. Sounds like the dealer will be picking up everything including the diag.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > First Gen Tundra 2000-2006

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in