User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Selling my 03 Tundra

I recently graduated from college and I need to something different for a vehicle. My options are to sell my tundra and get a pretty much new Tacoma. Or get like a Camry and keep my tundra. Looking at anticipated costs it’s about the same price to do either one. My tundra is 175k miles and I’m worried about how much it’ll cost in me in repairs. What are y’all thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 04:12 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,448 Posts
Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1265 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Hughes View Post
I recently graduated from college and I need to something different for a vehicle.
My options are to sell my tundra and get a pretty much new Tacoma. Or get like a Camry and keep my tundra.
Looking at anticipated costs itís about the same price to do either one.
My tundra is 175k miles and Iím worried about how much itíll cost in me in repairs.
What are yíall thoughts?
I think you need to get your money back from your college...

Welcome to the forum..

Learn it, know it, live it.
2014 Tundra Double Cab TSS SR5 5.7
Official Magnetic Grey Club # 305
Texas Tundra Group #183
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thank you for the unhelpful information. I simplify the question for you. What kind of repairs are y’all making to your tundras after 200k?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 08:58 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 35,868 Times in 17,989 Posts
Mentioned: 340 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9256 Post(s)
The only thing that comes to mind is timing belt replacement if it's a V8. Of course that depends on the last time it was done.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

First Gen Club Member # 23
Peanut Butter and JAM
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 09:45 PM

Thanked 10,708 Times in 5,784 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1656 Post(s)
Looking long term you never know to be honest. It's not just miles, but years.

Normal maintenance items come to mind, brakes, fluid changes, tires, etc...

But coolant system flush, t-case, diffs, those need maint too... Then there's fuel.

With the price of college, all that comes into play. You could sell it and get a fair amount down on a new car that will be more fuel efficient and college material.

Your bio doesn't list where you're at, that becomes a factor too. If you have a 4wd, and it snows a lot, you might be better to keep it. Especially if you are not staying on campus.

If you are staying on campus, and doing typical college stuff, to be honest you might be better off with a corolla.

No matter what, you either have a payment for a new or newish vehicle, new being under warranty and not having to worry about repairs. Or you have an older paid for vehicle, but still a payment as you need to put money in the bank for repairs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I put the Laughter in Slaughter, and the Fun in funeral.
KTM 450xc QUAD, Baldwin head, Ti valves, 8/06 cam, motoworks, goldspeed tires...
Gone/not forgotten: 2010 CM RW that was sweet,
NOW: 2017 Platinum. Tinted, trd duals, Exo Grapplers. Led h-lights and interior, Hard hat tonneau, line-x, Rancho uca/level'd
I like weapons. I dont capitalize, use spell check, or punctuate properly...
and you can call me Power.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 05:19 AM
Super Moderator
Premium Member

Thanked 40,846 Times in 14,674 Posts
Mentioned: 369 Post(s)
Quoted: 6629 Post(s)
I had 275K miles on an 02' Sequoia until the frame rusted out. Other than basic wear and tear stuff, I replaced the timing belt, water pump & new exhaust system at 225k. I would have kept driving it another 50k miles if it wasn't rusted at the crossmember where the steering rack mounts.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 10:23 AM
ofg

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
It will cost more to buy a newer tacoma for 5 years than to own and fix an old tundra for 5 years. Its a good idea to have a back up vehicle though, in case one of them needs service.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 08:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I suggest staying away from the newer Taco's. I had a '17 and just hated it. It was rock solid as far as quality goes, but the engine and trans set up is not good. The new engine is way low on torque which makes the transmission constantly hunt for a gear and the mileage was terrible (supposed to get around 22-23 on the highway, lucky to get 16). Also, the seats were terribly uncomfortable. And the resale value on the new Taco is terrible. If you go to a Taco, go to the 15 or older trucks. They hold their value and are very nice trucks.

The Tundra's are just great trucks. You can drive the one you have for a long time with not much maintenance expected. And the resale value is excellent. A truck like you have should be good to 300K easy, and the next guy will probably put another 100k or more on it after that.

But if you want a new(er) truck, go with the 07- present Tundra's and you will get a good comfortable truck. I just don't think you can beat the quality and resale value of the Tundra.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > First Gen Tundra 2000-2006

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in