2000 sr5 TRD 4wd 1-2 shift noise - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
ofg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2000 sr5 TRD 4wd 1-2 shift noise, or starter noise???

Lately my truck is making a disturbing noise. Sometimes on the shift from 1 to 2, when going very slow. It makes a rubbing or shuddering noise. As first gear accelerates and it starts to shif to 2nd, it will make a noise that sounds and feels like a plastic fenderwell dragging on a tire. It has only done it a couple times. I managed to recreate the noise by sitting idling for a few minutes then pulling out very slowly and letting the 1-2 shift happen very slowly.

There is no loss of driveability as far as I can tell. Truck has 197000 miles. Im 3rd owner, and not informed of the service on this truck. It leaks NOTHING. Starts and runs great. 4wd works fine.

Searching has given several possible issues. Torque converter shudder, LSD slipping, Slip yoke problem, Trans mount vibration, old trans fluid, old diff fluid.

So, to me it feels like a slipping as the trans goes from 1 to 2. Reason being it seems to happen as 1st gear revs out and 2nd gear is coming in. Dosent happen in other gears.

Anyway,,, is there a common solution?

Last edited by ofg; 08-14-2019 at 10:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 12:42 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 35,874 Times in 17,992 Posts
Mentioned: 340 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9257 Post(s)
Sounds to me like you need a supercharger. The whine will block out the noise and the quicker acceleration will take your mind off the problem. As an added bonus, all the extra power will make the transmission break faster if it's going to break.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

First Gen Club Member # 23
Peanut Butter and JAM
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
ofg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I may have it figured out. Happenned again, but this time when the starter system was giving trouble. Went to start, no start, so I tried again, and it turned and fired but starter kept going,, and it was same exact noise. So, I think the noise has been starter firing up randomly. Internet wisdome sais ignition switch and or ignition cylinder. So, Im dong trans flush and replacing ignition switch and cylinder today. Yes, I need a supercharger too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > First Gen Tundra 2000-2006

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in