Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

coolant leaking

4K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  ViktorG 
#1 ·
I have a 2002 tundra with the 4.7 V8 just recently replaced the water pump and timing belt (gates kit) due to my water pump leaking 195k on the truck, so got it all back together it ran fine for about a week and a half then noticed it leaking fluid again, couldn't tell from exactly but figured it was from the thermostat housing area because there was fluid pooling up around the top of the intake and I could see a fresh source of it on the top of the water pump area where it mates up to the front of the engine. So tore it down again and replaced a failed O Ring and then reassembled and used extra sealant around the thermostat housing and O Ring area, started it ran fine then the leak started again! So I am going to tear it down again and replace the water pump gasket ,O Ring and look for anything I missed the other 2 times.
Does anyone know where this leak might be coming from?

#2 ·
I don't know that V-8 but if you are seeing the leak in that area and you have verified it is not the thermostat, re-checking the water pump seems like the right thing. Would also replace the radiator cap if you have not done so recently - easy & cheap. Also check your overflow tubing/reservoir for cracks.

Buckaroo

#3 ·
The smaller o-ring behind the water pump can get rolled easily if not lubricated during install and leaks, seen that several times after water pump replacement on those engines.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.