User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Intermittent starting issue

I've been a lurker for some time, began having this starting issue with my Tundra recently. Truck is a 2004 Double Cab SR5 V8 4WD. It goes like this:

sometimes, without apparent cause, I'll get in the Tundra and go to start it. I'll turn the key to accessory power, get lights, chimes, etc. Turn key to "on", all good still. Turn the key to actually start the truck, and lose all power with one little click. After that I can remove the key, reinsert, hit any number of buttons in the cab, even the keyless entry remote doesn't revive it. Only disconnecting and reconnecting the positive terminal of the battery fixes it.

Sometimes the issue will repeat one or two additional times before I can successfully start the truck. Usually I'll only have one episode of this per day, often won't happen for days or weeks after. I've checked terminals on the battery, cables appear to be good as is the connection at the starter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 08:30 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfgk14 View Post
I've been a lurker for some time, began having this starting issue with my Tundra recently. Truck is a 2004 Double Cab SR5 V8 4WD. It goes like this:

sometimes, without apparent cause, I'll get in the Tundra and go to start it. I'll turn the key to accessory power, get lights, chimes, etc. Turn key to "on", all good still. Turn the key to actually start the truck, and lose all power with one little click. After that I can remove the key, reinsert, hit any number of buttons in the cab, even the keyless entry remote doesn't revive it. Only disconnecting and reconnecting the positive terminal of the battery fixes it.

Sometimes the issue will repeat one or two additional times before I can successfully start the truck. Usually I'll only have one episode of this per day, often won't happen for days or weeks after. I've checked terminals on the battery, cables appear to be good as is the connection at the starter.
Could be neutral safety switch....next time this happens, move the gear shift from and back into park position - try again.

Buckaroo

Buckaroo
- 2017 Limited Tundra DC 5.7L 4WD
- 2017 XLE Camry 2.5L
- 2010 Mazda Mx-5 Touring
- 2004 EX Accord 2.4L
- 2002 XLE Camry 2.4L
- 2000 4Runner 3.4L 4WD
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 04:34 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 36,930 Times in 18,619 Posts
Mentioned: 336 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9086 Post(s)
I know you said disconnecting and connecting the positive terminal fixes it, but I can't help but think it might be the negative. Next time it happens, try connecting a jumper cable from the negative side to the block. It could be the movement of the positive cable is making the negative side jiggle and make a better connection.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

First Gen Club Member # 23
Peanut Butter and JAM

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I will have to try both of those ideas when it next gives me trouble. Does anyone know whether these vehicles are sensitive to a replacement key? The keys the truck came with are both aftermarket. Are they supposed to be chipped?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > First Gen Tundra 2000-2006

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in