Confused on which gear oil for rear diff (LSD), transfer case and front diff - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 01:42 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Confused on which gear oil for rear diff (LSD), transfer case and front diff

I've read several long threads on various forums about replacing the gear oils in the front diff, transfer case and rear diff. I've got a 2006 V8 4x4 with 139k miles and a LSD rear diff. I just bought the truck and have no idea (no service records) if/when any of gear oils have been changed, so I'm going to do it myself. Sorry for the noob questions, but y'all have been very helpful, so I hope you don't mind a couple more questions.

The official Toyota owner's manual says to use 80w-90 hypoid gear oil for the front diff and transfer case and "synthetic hypoid gear oil for LSD differentials 80w-90 GL-5"

I've read people using Amsoil, Royal Purple, Lucas, Mobil 1, etc. I'm confused by all the options. The Amsoil oil I'm considering says it's good for LSD differentials. I just want to be sure I get the correct stuff. I'd also prefer if I can just buy 7 quarts of one type of oil to use in all three locations.

One question I have is there any danger to using gear oil that contains LSD additives and apply it to the front diff and transfer case?

For example, here is the recommendations that Amsoil has for my Tundra:

Limited Slip Differential, Rear 4WD DblCab W/ LSD......GL-5*
Below 0 F......80W-90, 80W [1]
SAE 80W-90 Synthetic Gear Lube (AGLQT)
Severe GearŪ 75W-90 (SVGPK)
Severe GearŪ 75W-110 (SVTQT)
Limited Slip Differential, Rear 4WD DblCab W/ LSD......GL-5*
Above 0 F......90 [1]
Standard Differential, Front......GL-5
All TEMPS......75W-90
Transfer Case,U/K TRC......GL-5

So I was thinking the simplest and most factory spec would be the Amsoil SAE 80W-90 Synthetic Gear Lube (AGLQT). Would this be ideal? Do I need any additional LSD additive? The description for the Amsoil additive "Slip Lock" says it's not required for Amsoil synthetic gear lubes as those lubes already have the additive. The gear lube I linked to says only to add the SlipLock additive if LSD chattering occurs.

It gets to below 0F a bit in winter, coldest I've seen is -20F and up to 105F in summer. I plan to use the truck more in winter than summer most likely and will definitely need the 4WD on our snowy and steep dirt driveway. I'm hoping I can just change all the gear oils at once, with one type of lube and not have to change for 50,000-100,000 miles (according to Amsoil).

Last question, what would the advantage be for the 75w-90 Severe Gear Amsoil option?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 12:32 PM

Thanked 6,344 Times in 3,776 Posts
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Garage
Don't keep us in suspense ~ post up some pics !
@markofrost

A picture is worth a thousand words
But your smile is worth a million
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 12:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I just went through all this myself.

I ended up using Mobil One 75w/90.

I remember wrestling with the same questions you are and somehow I settled on the Mobil 1.

Two things:

Do you have a true LSD, or do you have the electronic LSD that comes with a lot of Tundras? I think it makes a difference. I also think most Tundras have the electronic LSD, in which case you don't need any special additives.

Second thing.

The drain plug of the front differential might be on there very, very tight. I couldn't get mine off and I ended up stripping the bolt.

When I watched a YouTube video on how to change the front differential fluid the mechanic had all sorts of problems removing the bolt. I didn't think too much of it, but since then I have seen other threads where people had all sorts of difficulty removing that bolt. I know I did. I think they were over tightened at the factory.

Changing the transfer case and rear differential was very easy.

Good luck.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMonkey View Post
Don't keep us in suspense ~ post up some pics !
@markofrost
Hah! I'm jumping the gun here. We are 98% set on buying a particular Tundra this weekend. We've got to do a daylong drive to go look at and get it. But between speaking with the owner, Autocheck, Toyota Dealer's it was serviced at, etc, we're pretty sure this is a good deal for a fine truck. I'll post up photos once we get it!
The Following User Says Thank You to markofrost For This Useful Post:
MetalMonkey (08-23-2018)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYT1 View Post
I just went through all this myself.

I ended up using Mobil One 75w/90.

I remember wrestling with the same questions you are and somehow I settled on the Mobil 1.

Two things:

Do you have a true LSD, or do you have the electronic LSD that comes with a lot of Tundras? I think it makes a difference. I also think most Tundras have the electronic LSD, in which case you don't need any special additives.

Second thing.

The drain plug of the front differential might be on there very, very tight. I couldn't get mine off and I ended up stripping the bolt.

When I watched a YouTube video on how to change the front differential fluid the mechanic had all sorts of problems removing the bolt. I didn't think too much of it, but since then I have seen other threads where people had all sorts of difficulty removing that bolt. I know I did. I think they were over tightened at the factory.

Changing the transfer case and rear differential was very easy.

Good luck.
This is all very helpful info, thank you! Still not yet sure on the gear oil to use, but I really appreciate the heads up on the tough bolts on the front diff. I might just save that one for a real mechanic to tackle since I really don't like dealing with stripped things like that.

BTW, did you have to re-tap the bolt hole threads or was it as simple as just replacing the bolt with a new one, once removed?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 08:49 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I haven't dealt with the stripped bolt yet, although I did buy a new bolt and I have it ready for when I get the stripped one off.

I plan on taking it to a mechanic to remove the bolt.

Before trying to remove the drain bolt, I removed the filler bolt...something I learned on the YouTube video. You don't want to drain the oil and then find you can't get the filler bolt off to add new oil.

Anyway, some oil leaked out of the filler bolt hole and it looked very clean...my truck has 129,000 miles and I don't 4 wheel that much...so I topped off the oil and I will deal with the stripped bolt in a few weeks when I get back from a trip.

Good luck.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 08:37 PM

Thanked 10,687 Times in 5,766 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Always remove the fill plug first. If you can't get the fill plug out, don't drain it...

I used and will use Amsoil when I changed the 2010, and when I change the 2017 in spring of next year.

Different years, but yes, most Amsoil synthetic gear lube already has the slip lock additive in it.

I am set up myself for Amsoil, and the pricing is worth it.

You can put the year/make/model in the lookup, and it will tell you what it offers, in the correct weights, and give you options as far as what they offer in different levels of protection.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I put the Laughter in Slaughter, and the Fun in funeral.
KTM 450xc QUAD, Baldwin head, Ti valves, 8/06 cam, motoworks, goldspeed tires...
Gone/not forgotten: 2010 CM RW that was sweet,
NOW: 2017 Platinum. Tinted, trd duals, Exo Grapplers. Led h-lights and interior, Hard hat tonneau, line-x, Rancho uca/level'd
I like weapons. I dont capitalize, use spell check, or punctuate properly...
and you can call me Power.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > First Gen Tundra 2000-2006

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in