LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-22-2018, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Paint removal

I backed into a white post and now have white paint on my truck. Any suggestions on how to remove it? I am concerned about the clearcoat and don't want to ruin the paint job. I bought some polishing compound, but the can says to use polishing compound for clearcoat.

2012 DC SR5 5.7L 4x4

*** I think, therefore I am a conservative. ***
(With apologies to Descartes.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-22-2018, 03:29 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU69 View Post
...I bought some polishing compound, but the can says to use polishing compound for clearcoat.
So...? Are you saying your truck doesn't have clearcoat?

If it says you can use it on clear coat (can't imagine that it would say otherwise), apply a little of this compound to a clean cloth and rub the transferred paint in a circular motion. The transferred paint should begin to diminish, until it is finally gone.

You are unlikely to hurt your clear coat doing this manually. Polish it off with a clean dry cloth, and apply wax.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2017 SR5 DC TSS 4.6L 2WD Magnetic Gray Metallic/Charcoal Gray
* Undercover Flex tonneau cover
* Coverking neoprene seat covers
* Auto headlight conversion
* Power tail gate lock
* Toyota weather mats

Last edited by OldGuy43; 04-22-2018 at 03:33 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to OldGuy43 For This Useful Post:
PSU69 (04-22-2018)
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-15-2018, 02:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Garage
I would try washing it first, by hand. Use one of those special sponges that looks like it has mesh or netting on it, they are commonly used to remove bug debris/bug splatters from the from end(hand wash, not car wash). That and a little bit of liquid soap, mild liquid soap. If that didn't work then you can always try WD-40 and a clean microfiber cloth, you might be surprised at how well WD-40 works, it will not remove any clear-coat and is a safe product to use almost anywhere. After that if there are no results you can try wax, I have used a combination of WD-40 and wax to remove things like those pesky "caution" stickers that they slap all over a motorcycle. Then step up to the polishing compound. If the polishing compound shows some success then I would proceed with that. If it doesn't do anything then the next step may be a rubbing compound. You need to know what you are doing before you just grab and start rubbing around with this stuff. Rubbing compound will remove clear-coat, paint, primer, take it on down to bare metal if you stay after it, and not implying that you would, but just letting you know how much more powerful it is than polishing compound.

2012 Toyota Tundra, 5.7L, 2WD, Automatic, Silver, Double Cab, Work Truck Package

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-15-2018, 05:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
an eraser wheel should take it off. https://www.amazon.com/3M-03612-Adhe.../dp/B005RNGN8I

You may need to follow with polish after to remove any small scratches.
post #5 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-15-2018, 09:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Last year, i had my 4runner parked at the boat launch and someone side swiped me with their trailer. It was a silver vehicle and was a white trailer. When I first saw it looked terrible. Luckily, it didn't dent it, but it did leave a streak on the front fender about 2 inch by 8 inches of white paint. I come from a back ground of painting and buffing, so I had a few things on hand. First of all I say this cautiously, because it can get you into trouble. I washed the vehicle to get rid of excess dirt that can act as an abrasive. This is the part I caution you on, I took a soft clean cloth with a small amount of lacquer thinner and in a spot that couldn't be seen made sure the lacquer thinner didn't affect the finish.

Once I saw it didn't affect the finish, I tried a small amount on a clean cloth. It immediately took the white paint off and I didn't leave it on more than 30 seconds. I immediately washed the spot with dawn dish soap to remove any lacquer thinner. This took the white paint off, but I was still left with a slight scratching. The next step was to use 1500, 2000-3000 wet sand. I then started with buffing material and worked back to polishing pad/ polish. I was able to get this plenty acceptable.

I am just telling you how I did this, it is very easy to mess this up and make it worse if you don't know what you are doing. I would worry about 2 things that could go wrong with this repair. Don't use a solvent that affects the finish and get it off immediately. Second, depending on the color white and silver are pretty forgiving, black not so much, polishing is going to leave scratches. You need to get these out by using progressively finer material and pads. I will guarantee if you are working with a black vehicle, you will definitely see the scratches.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Detailing Tips and Tricks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in