LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
303 Multi-Surface Cleaner

Back on December 3rd I put some items in the rear seat area of my Tundra Crew Max. I put my palm down of the (fabric) seat and left what looked like a grease spot on the fabric. (Don't ask me how, I could detect no grease or oil on my hand, but whatever). I retrieved some Toyota spot remover from my wife's Highlander, tested it for color fastness, masked off the area and applied it per the instructions. After it dried the spot was gone but I had a faint square area that was a shade or two darker than the surrounding area. The Toyota cleaner was several years old and had spent that time in a plastic case under her passenger seat.

I ordered some 303 Multi-Surface Cleaner from Auto Geek, masked off the area again and repeated the process. After letting it dry for two days there is no difference in the fabric color. I'm going to test an out of the way area with 303 Fabric Guard and if it works treat the rest of the seats.

note for the future- get leather?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hessler For This Useful Post:
Mr. Creosote (12-09-2017), Wacked (12-10-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 01:45 PM
Cereal Killer
Premium Member

Thanked 62,599 Times in 21,379 Posts
Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1612 Post(s)
Car Interior Cleaner | Clean Car Carpet | Upholstery Cleaner

I don't care about the environment. Neither do you.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 02:44 PM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
For your seats @hessler , you would probably have more success with a dedicated foaming shampoo style auto upholstery cleaner. Multi-Surface Cleaner sounds like something for wiping hard surfaces, like the "Method" all-purpose cleaner my wife buys at Target.

For other readers, "303" is a brand of products. I'm most familiar with "303 Aerospace Protectant" for "vinyl, rubber, plastic, fiberglass, and leather". It's intended to prevent UV deterioration, and my experience was that it was an excellent product, keeping rubber weatherstrips and plastic trim looking new for years. The only negative was that after a few years, "Aerospace Protectant" degrades into a resilient white film on your weatherstrips; this film can be removed with thorough cleaning and re-application. This particular product, "303 Aerospace Protectant", is not intended for, nor should it be used on, cloth upholstery.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OldGuy43 For This Useful Post:
MetalMonkey (12-09-2017), Mr. Creosote (12-09-2017)

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 10:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Folex has worked well for me in the past. Maybe give it a shot
The Following User Says Thank You to cptblackadder For This Useful Post:
Mr. Creosote (12-10-2017)
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 10:46 PM
"Resident Liberal"
Premium Member

Thanked 31,912 Times in 13,835 Posts
Mentioned: 814 Post(s)
Quoted: 5971 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptblackadder View Post
Folex has worked well for me in the past. Maybe give it a shot
I use either folex or i nix up 6.1 water/woolite

I know sometimes what I see is not what everyone else sees.

The voices in my head don't like you

If you are a fan of fat girls, Dave Matthews CD's are better than a ham on a fishing pole.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
H. L. Mencken

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 RCSB 4.7 TRD Offroad 4x4
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 07:58 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
I'm not familiar with Folex. I'll check it out, thanks for the info.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 08:48 AM
"Resident Liberal"
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hessler View Post
I'm not familiar with Folex. I'll check it out, thanks for the info.
I used oxy clean on a grease spot one of my techs got on my seatand it worked well.

If you are a fan of fat girls, Dave Matthews CD's are better than a ham on a fishing pole.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
H. L. Mencken

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 08:52 AM
"Resident Liberal"
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGuy43 View Post
For your seats @hessler , you would probably have more success with a dedicated foaming shampoo style auto upholstery cleaner. Multi-Surface Cleaner sounds like something for wiping hard surfaces, like the "Method" all-purpose cleaner my wife buys at Target.

For other readers, "303" is a brand of products. I'm most familiar with "303 Aerospace Protectant" for "vinyl, rubber, plastic, fiberglass, and leather". It's intended to prevent UV deterioration, and my experience was that it was an excellent product, keeping rubber weatherstrips and plastic trim looking new for years. The only negative was that after a few years, "Aerospace Protectant" degrades into a resilient white film on your weatherstrips; this film can be removed with thorough cleaning and re-application. This particular product, "303 Aerospace Protectant", is not intended for, nor should it be used on, cloth upholstery.
I have used Aerospace303 on my interior and exterior trim for probably 10 years on all of my vehicles and never had the issue you described, Of course when I detail my truck, the first step on the outside is to just power wash the exterior. Maybe that washes it all off before it gets a chance to build up.

H. L. Mencken

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 09:13 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Iíve also used 303 on interior and exterior trim with no white residue buildup. Been using it for years on the same vehicles. I like 303 because it things donít look like they have been bathed in oil...just a nice matte sheen that looks great. Havenít found anything that compares.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 09:55 AM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian20 View Post
Iíve also used 303 on interior and exterior trim with no white residue buildup. Been using it for years on the same vehicles. I like 303 because it things donít look like they have been bathed in oil...just a nice matte sheen that looks great. Havenít found anything that compares.
Based on your and @OkSlim 's experience, I conclude that frequent reapplication removes or "washes off" the previous film before it has a chance to degrade into the white film I observed. In other words, Aerospace Protectant is likely soluble in itself, and on re-application, re-liquifies any residual ingredients and adds fresh petroleum base, keeping it constantly fresh.

I made only one application to a new vehicle, and after years of inattention and no further detailing, a white film gradually formed. Removal required vigorous rubbing, as I recall with 50/50 alcohol in water solution. This method wasn't efficient; the white film was still resilient and "rolled" up into tiny balls before being wiped off. I didn't try simply reapplying the AP. I might have been a little panicked and just trying to restore the new look to my vinyl and rubber. When I saw the process was working, I just plowed ahead until the task was done. The new look WAS still there, apparently untouched by ten years of UV and ozone.

I absolutely endorse the product, but continuing maintenance will be required, as should be expected.

2017 SR5 DC TSS 4.6L 2WD Magnetic Gray Metallic/Charcoal Gray
* Undercover Flex tonneau cover
* Coverking neoprene seat covers
* Auto headlight conversion
* Power tail gate lock
* Toyota weather mats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Detailing Tips and Tricks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in