TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum (https://www.tundratalk.net/forums/)
-   Detailing Tips and Tricks (https://www.tundratalk.net/forums/detailing-tips-tricks/)
-   -   Ceramic pro (https://www.tundratalk.net/forums/detailing-tips-tricks/719154-ceramic-pro.html)

Sting Ray 11-25-2017 01:00 PM

Ceramic pro

Anyone use it?

RitcheyRch 11-25-2017 04:26 PM

All my vehicles are coated with Opt-Coat Pro Plus.

Sting Ray 11-26-2017 03:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RitcheyRch (Post 9014346)
All my vehicles are coated with Opt-Coat Pro Plus.

Is that something you can do yourself or do you have to have a professional do it? I'm guessing you like it?

RitcheyRch 11-26-2017 10:13 AM

I like the coating and will have any future vehicles coated. I'm sure if you know how to polish a vehicle you could do it yourself with one of the do it yourself kits available. The Opti-Coat pro Plus that we have on our vehicles has to be installed by a certified installer. It cost me $900 each parts and labor.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sting Ray (Post 9015034)
Is that something you can do yourself or do you have to have a professional do it? I'm guessing you like it?

Cisko213 11-27-2017 01:32 AM

I got it, not really impressed with it. I still see scratches here and there and they claim no scratches at all. I do get compliments about how clean it always looks.

OldGuy43 11-27-2017 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cisko213 (Post 9016362)
I got it, not really impressed with it. I still see scratches here and there and they claim no scratches at all. I do get compliments about how clean it always looks.

I'm also looking for better technology on paint protection beyond sealants, and found the video below.

Ceramic coating can be done yourself, but correct preparation is complicated, extensive, and labor intensive. A comment on the video asked if this was a full day job...at my age, it would take me all week, if I finished it at all. I can understand why someone would pay to have this done for them.

One other comment...If you have pre-existing defects like swirl marks or scratches from washing, they have to be polished out using a DA polisher and compound (moderate or worse) or polish (light) before applying the ceramic. Ceramic is simply protection; it won't remove or hide pre-existing defects.

Cisko213 11-27-2017 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldGuy43 (Post 9016546)
I'm also looking for better technology on paint protection beyond sealants, and found the video below.

Ceramic coating can be done yourself, but correct preparation is complicated, extensive, and labor intensive. A comment on the video asked if this was a full day job...at my age, it would take me all week, if I finished it at all. I can understand why someone would pay to have this done for them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byKcYsEyWGk

One other comment...If you have pre-existing defects like swirl marks or scratches from washing, they have to be polished out using a DA polisher and compound (moderate or worse) or polish (light) before applying the ceramic. Ceramic is simply protection; it won't remove or hide pre-existing defects.

Yes the color correction is what takes up the most time. My truck went straight from the dealer to the shop. They do good work and they have a facility to do it. I just get bummed when I see scratchers around the door handles. Plus too keep the warranty you have to take it yearly for inspection.

1prerun 01-09-2018 09:36 AM

I have detailed part time for over 10 years and dabbled with quite a few different coatings. I actually have the ceramic pro UK version in the garage and was debating putting in on my new 18' Crewmax but won't be able to until summer because water cannot touch the paint for 24 hours and I don't have a garage to park in overnight (every night we get a good mist/dew)

The paint does need to leveled and prepped correctly. In addition it is somewhat tricky to apply depending on the paint type, weather temp and lighting. I recommend only installing in a garage with good halogen lighting. I used the old CQuartz on my superwhite 08' DB and it left a few streaks that drove me crazy. Once I finally got around to polishing, I realized the stuff is pretty legit as it was not easy to remove and took some pretty serious compound/polishing to remove.

Regardless though, it's not bulletproof and although it does add some scratch resistance (to some paints more than others, yes every paint is different) you should care for the paint as you did before. This is just meant to give you a bit more of a buffer for error down the road, for bird bombs, help repel dirt, etc...

If you aren't confident doing a 1-2 step machine polish then I recommend using a professional.

rjs1022 04-11-2018 12:52 PM

I had full paint correction done and cQuartz applied. I also use Echo2 after i wash it and its been 2 years and it still looks amazing!