User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Need Wax Advice

Good morning! I recently purchased a 2017 Tundra CM in magnetic grey. Of course it doesn't fit in the garage so unfortunately she'll be sitting outside in the desert sun all day. I haven't waxed a car in about 15 years. Whats good? Whats bad? How do you apply and remove? Thanks for the advice

-Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Garage
Youíll want a DA polisher for a truck this size. Makes the process a lot easier on the arms. I wipe off the wax/polish by hand with soft microfiber cloths though.

I live in Houston, which is obviously different from the desert, but Collinite Insulator Wax #845 lasts a long time for me. I wax once or twice a year and always have water beading.

In addition to that I will polish the truck once a year before I use the Collinite with Meguiarís Ultimate Polish. That stuff works well in getting fine swirls out of the clear coat.

As long as you put forth some effort in maintaining the paint itíll look great for a long time.

2011 Tundra DC 4.6L V8 2WD 137k miles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 01:08 PM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
I have been converted to polymer sealants like Zaino for protection of special vehicles I plan to keep a long time. The first application is a little more complicated compared to polishing and waxing, but the protection and shine can be maintained with little additional effort. Nothing, IMO, will really prevent damage to modern paint from bird droppings, so hopefully, you won't have to park under trees.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017, 09:56 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Garage
Anyone ever use this product?

https://topcoat.store/

BIL told me about it. Been using Zaino for years ......

Lots of good products so it makes choosing pretty interesting.....

well just found this look for review by armin:
http://www.ssforums.com/forum/detail...-review-2.html

2003 F-250 7.3 XLT-traded for 2014 4Runner TE Prem.
2010 F-150 gone for a 14' CM, 4x4, 5.7L, Barcelona Red, Tan interior TSS Pkg.>2018 F-250 XLT FX4 6.2L

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Going down in a pile of brass, Jack!

Last edited by RingSteel; 11-12-2017 at 10:03 AM.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 08:18 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Garage
I've been using Collinite 476 Super Doublecoat for the past few years and it works fantastic. It is their longest lasting wax. This next round, I'm switching to the Collinite Marque D'Elegance #915 since we have a black Tundra and the 915 is supposed to be a bit better for dark colors.

Les_Paul gave good advice on the DA polisher. Get a decent one.

The differences are listed in their FAQ section:

What’s the difference between the auto waxes; No. 845 Insulator Wax, No. 476s Super Double Coat and the No. 915 Marque D’ Elegance?

All 3 last step waxes serve the same function: to provide a high gloss carnauba shine and lasting protection. All 3 contain copious amounts of wax-both rare Brazilian carnauba and premium synthetic polymers. However, their degree of durability, ease of use, and warmth of shine vary. Think of it this way;

1. No.476s – most durable protection/weather defense. Most elbow grease required during application.

2. No. 915- 2nd most durable and slightly easier than the 476s to apply/remove. No. 915 lends our warmest shine to dark tones like navy and black due to its highest concentration of rare carnauba.

3. No. 845- easiest of the 3 to apply/remove with slightly less durability than the No. 915.

I'M AWAKE!

Last edited by UNTMatt; 05-13-2018 at 08:23 AM.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 09:03 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 8,082 Times in 4,096 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1887 Post(s)
Wax is 1985. You want a good synthetic product.

Follow around @Jumbo Jet the guy is a detailing genius.

Here's one with steps taken on a neglected finish. You could follow this but skip the correction steps. You'll find a bunch of his threads very helpful.
https://www.tundratalk.net/forums/sho...orrection.html

This is a great DA polisher that will last forever.
https://www.griotsgarage.com/product...dom+orbital.do

These guys have great product.
https://www.chemicalguys.com/

2012 Pearl White 4x4 Sequoia Platinum.

I drink a whiskey drink
I drink a vodka drink
and when I have to pee
I use the kitchen sink
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 11:11 AM

Garage
He is a genius.

Detailing can be as expensive as you want it to be. Although that stuff is very nice, at least in my case, I don't see the point. I'll be waxing a couple of times per year and a can of Collinite that lasts a very long time, costs substantially less than the synthetics that, around here, will have to be redone every one to two years. All that does, is protect from the elements. My wife drives a MDX and the hood looks like it's been shot with a automatic bb gun. No synthetic or wax will protect from the rocks and debris tossed around in the metromess by construction vehicles and commuter traffic.

I've not tried it yet; however, after reading the reviews, I picked up a HF DA polisher, replaced the backing plate, bought some good pads, flipped the switch, and regreased the gearbox (that seems to be the necessary mod's from what I've read). For a DA polisher that will only be used a couple of times per year, that's as much as I was willing to spend. Most of the reviews seem to be good so I'm going to hope for the best; otherwise, I'll just hand wax and screw polishing.

--Matt

I'M AWAKE!
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 12:33 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Waxing is allot of work .

I use Chemical Guys products . Good stuff and I use thier Finnish was that's specifically for White paint .
Twice a year application , with a few Lucas quick spray " wax" in between.

2018 TRD OffRoad 5.7 gasser
The Following User Says Thank You to 24hrsparkey For This Useful Post:
HVACn00b (05-13-2018)
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 11:42 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24hrsparkey View Post
Waxing is allot of work .

I use Chemical Guys products . Good stuff and I use thier Finnish was that's specifically for White paint .
Twice a year application , with a few Lucas quick spray " wax" in between.

Grab the chemical guys v7 spray retailer works phenomenal and smells just as good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HVACn00b For This Useful Post:
24hrsparkey (05-14-2018), UNTMatt (05-15-2018)
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 09:37 AM

Garage
I've been using the Optimum Instant Detailer & Gloss Enhancer. Spray on right after rinsing and before drying. Works fantastic and smells good. I use a high volume spray bottle and buy the detailer by the gallon off of Amazon. Mix it with distilled water.

--Matt

I'M AWAKE!
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 02:45 PM

Collinite 845 is the best option here. I apply mine by hand with a foam applicator, then remove with a clean microfiber. Its not too bad. If you're really feeling like you want to add some protection, put a layer of Jescar Powerlock underneath. Apply with the same steps, but then let it cure for 3 hours (I usually wait overnight) then put a layer of Collonite 845 on top. Should last 6-8 months.

Edit: Also, I apply some spray wax after each wash just as a sacrificial layer for a couple days. Meguiars D156 is cheap and easy to use. Optimum Car Wax is a spray wax that works well also.

Last edited by taaland; 05-15-2018 at 02:49 PM.
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taaland View Post
Collinite 845 is the best option here. I apply mine by hand with a foam applicator, then remove with a clean microfiber. Its not too bad. If you're really feeling like you want to add some protection, put a layer of Jescar Powerlock underneath. Apply with the same steps, but then let it cure for 3 hours (I usually wait overnight) then put a layer of Collonite 845 on top. Should last 6-8 months.

Edit: Also, I apply some spray wax after each wash just as a sacrificial layer for a couple days. Meguiars D156 is cheap and easy to use. Optimum Car Wax is a spray wax that works well also.
The Lucas or Meguires spray "wax" detailers are cheap enough and work real well as lube for claybar ing .
My son uses this method on his older truck .
My truck is new , and that's why I only have to use chemical guys , Finnish wax for white paint . No oxidation and no swirl scratches so far , and it's kinda nice .

post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 07:54 PM

Quote:
The Lucas or Meguires spray "wax" detailers are cheap enough and work real well as lube for claybar ing .
My son uses this method on his older truck .
My truck is new , and that's why I only have to use chemical guys , Finnish wax for white paint . No oxidation and no swirl scratches so far , and it's kinda nice .
Yeah I just use the spray wax as a drying aid to add some lubrication while drying mostly. Powerlock and Collinite are the real protection on my pickup. I try to avoid Chemical Guys, too many horror stories and enough very good alternatives to not even think twice.
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taaland View Post
Yeah I just use the spray wax as a drying aid to add some lubrication while drying mostly. Powerlock and Collinite are the real protection on my pickup. I try to avoid Chemical Guys, too many horror stories and enough very good alternatives to not even think twice.
What kind of horror , product or service ?

Thank you

post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 12:57 PM

Quote:
What kind of horror , product or service ?

Thank you
Mostly service. But also not convinced on their products either. But, if it works for you, then that is all that matters.

I've had really good luck with Adams products. Great service with them also. But for protection, I use Powerlock and Collinite 845. Its a rock solid combo for summer and winter. Usually do an application 2x a year.
The Following User Says Thank You to taaland For This Useful Post:
24hrsparkey (05-25-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Detailing Tips and Tricks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in