Need Wax Advice - Page 3 - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 01:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
@OldGuy43 :

Thanks for the sage advice. After reading up on this topic some more, I am inclined to go with the Porter Cable.

I am completely new to this; I wonder if you can recommend pads and polish that would work well for:

The Tundra windshield. For some reason, my windshield picks up some very persistent grime.
The Tundra body.
An RV with a painted aluminum corrugated siding.

Thanks so much in advance!

2017 Toyota Tundra Crewmax SR5 TSS
Model code: USK56L-PSTSGA
5.7L V8 FFE
4WD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 06:33 PM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandNomad View Post
@OldGuy43 :

Thanks for the sage advice. After reading up on this topic some more, I am inclined to go with the Porter Cable.

I am completely new to this; I wonder if you can recommend pads and polish that would work well for:

The Tundra windshield. For some reason, my windshield picks up some very persistent grime.
The Tundra body.
An RV with a painted aluminum corrugated siding.

Thanks so much in advance!
Any random orbital polisher is most valuable as a correction tool; i.e. bringing the shine of the painted surface to perfection.

Depending on condition, e.g. oxidation, correction may require use of rubbing compound with Lake Country CCS foam pads (see link in my earlier post), either yellow (heavy cutting) or orange (medium-light cutting). If the paint is not oxidized (e.g. relatively new vehicle), it may still be desirable to polish out swirl marks or fine scratches caused by improper washing technique using a Lake Country CCS white pad with a fine polish or polishing glaze.

Once the shine meets your goal, protection is the next step. In the case of a new truck, no correction at all may be required, and you can go directly to protection products. You can use a polisher with a Lake Country CCS red foam pad to apply wax or sealant, but the Zaino sealant products that I use for protection only recommend hand application.

The only product recommendations that will start more "pi$$ing contests" than motor oil would be...paint care products, i.e. polishes, waxes and sealants. Everybody has their favorites, and you will get more recommendations.

As I said, I use Zaino products, hand applied, for protection. If I have to correct severe oxidation, or polish out finish sanding (new paint with orange peel), I use 3M rubbing compound followed by 3M foam polishing pad glaze simply because I have found they work well.

I have also used old school Meguiars products for a long time (Mirror Glaze line), and those will be a safe choice for a beginner. If the paint is in good condition, I would probably use their M83 Dual Action Cleaner Polish or their M205 Ultra Finishing Polish (slightly less aggressive). If the paint is in GREAT shape, I would probably use their M3 Machine Glaze or M7 Show Car Glaze.

@Jumbo Jet will be a good resource for recommendations. He is correct that the Griot random orbital polisher is a more powerful polisher than the PC7424XP. The Griot GG6 has an 850 watt @ 7 amp motor where the PC7424XP has a 500 watt @ 4.5 amp motor. The GG6 does cost about 20+% more. My PC is probably 15 years old, and if I were looking today, I would take a look at the Griot.

My PC has served me well, and will be adequate for most DIY polishing. I used mine to polish out the paint on the same vehicle twice...first as finished-sanded fresh paint with orange peel, and 14 years later as finish-sanded, severely oxidized paint. (Good protection is absolutely required with the new paint formulas; no Zaino on this one.) A professional would have used a rotary buffer for these jobs, but I don't trust myself with a rotary buffer. I really could have used the extra power of the GG6 both times to polish out 1500 grit scratches, but the PC7424 got the job done. Having mastered that challenge, it will manage whatever future chores I have for it until one of us passes on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2017 SR5 DC TSS 4.6L 2WD Magnetic Gray Metallic/Charcoal Gray
* Undercover Flex tonneau cover
* Coverking neoprene seat covers
* Auto headlight conversion
* Power tail gate lock
* Toyota weather mats

Last edited by OldGuy43; 07-28-2018 at 06:39 PM.
post #33 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 11:27 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 2,133 Times in 1,115 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Adding to what OldGuy recommended, you can use a light polish on your windshield and side glass with good results. Einszettes/Nextzetts makes a great glass polish, simply called Glass Polish. You can use a white pad with machine on 3-4, one to two passes and wipe clean.

For paint, it's very tough to beat any Menzerna products. FG400 will cut through most any defects you'll ever need to remove. SF4000 is an incredible jeweling polish, extremely easy to work and even easier to remove. The two make for an amazing combo.

For aluminum, I love Aero Metal Polish or Boms Away Metal Polish. Aero became my new favorite a few years back.

Machines are going to be just as subjective as waxes and motor oils. I have most of the standard machines.....PC, Griots 6", Griots 3", Flex 3401, Rupes Bigfoot 15. The machine I take out of the drawer most often is my Griots 6". It's lightweight, powerful and smooth. I run it with a 5" backing plate and use 5.5" pads. My PC just takes up space in the drawer, I haven't used it in years. I think my wife used it to sand the paint off an old dresser about 4 years ago, lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Detailing Tips and Tricks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in