Need Wax Advice - Page 2 - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 05:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Jescar Power Lock Plus Polymer Sealant followed by Collinite Liquid Insulator Wax #845 twice a year, when you detail your truck.

Maintenance wash however often you'd like with ONR waterless wash using the Garry Dean method, and use Meguiar's D15601 Synthetic X-Press Spray Wax as an easy maintenance wax and drying aid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 08:29 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by taaland View Post
Mostly service. But also not convinced on their products either. But, if it works for you, then that is all that matters.

I've had really good luck with Adams products. Great service with them also. But for protection, I use Powerlock and Collinite 845. Its a rock solid combo for summer and winter. Usually do an application 2x a year.

OK
Well i washed my rig last night , and wasn't impressed with the Chemical guys White Finnish waxing i did 4 weeks ago .
Dont get me wrong the white is still clean and deep white , but the water didnt bead much and it didnt feel slippery when washing . Perhaps i should have topped it off with some other of their products , BUT im not really into that ... one waxing is enough work for this ole boy.
Not saying Chemical Guys products are bad , just i expected more for my effort. Paint still clean but not slippy enough for me.

Soooo i very well may give this Collinite 845 product you speak of a try . Thank you , 24hrsparkey

2018 TRD OffRoad 5.7 gasser
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 08:43 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RingSteel View Post
Anyone ever use this product?

https://topcoat.store/

BIL told me about it. Been using Zaino for years ......

Lots of good products so it makes choosing pretty interesting.....

well just found this look for review by armin:
TopCoat F11 Review - Page 2 - Chevy SS Forum
I have the Topcoat F11 product. Use it mainly on my motorcycle. Used it once on the tundra.

I have only used about 3 oz's of the stuff and will buy again when I run out.

If you already have some wax build up, it might take several applications for the top coat to penetrate well.

Creates a good shine and allows water to run right off. There might be other products like it, since it is fairly expensive.
I also have several Chemical Guys products as well.

2016 SR5 CrewMax 4x4

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other Vehicles:
2011 - SR5 Crewmax Silver Sky Metallic
2015 - Black RAV4 XLE AWD
2003 - Suzuki Volusia

post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24hrsparkey View Post
OK
Well i washed my rig last night , and wasn't impressed with the Chemical guys White Finnish waxing i did 4 weeks ago .
Dont get me wrong the white is still clean and deep white , but the water didnt bead much and it didnt feel slippery when washing . Perhaps i should have topped it off with some other of their products , BUT im not really into that ... one waxing is enough work for this ole boy.
Not saying Chemical Guys products are bad , just i expected more for my effort. Paint still clean but not slippy enough for me.

Soooo i very well may give this Collinite 845 product you speak of a try . Thank you , 24hrsparkey
You won't be disappointed with Collinite 845. I'm a huge fan of the Jescar Powerlock as well. Great sealant.

If it didn't feel slippery, it might be your soap. What are you using for that?
The Following User Says Thank You to taaland For This Useful Post:
24hrsparkey (05-29-2018)
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 07:47 AM

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Garage
The Collinite 476s and 915 are both more durable than the 845. I can vouch for the 476s as I've used it for several years now. I've just started using the 915 so I can just go off of what I've read on durability for now. I've not played with 845 but it seems like a better choice if you're putting a sealant under it rather than a stand alone product (if you're looking for the longest lifespan).

The 845 is supposed to be the easiest to apply; although, I've not found 476s or the 915 difficult.

--Matt

I'M AWAKE!
post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 05:24 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by taaland View Post
You won't be disappointed with Collinite 845. I'm a huge fan of the Jescar Powerlock as well. Great sealant.

If it didn't feel slippery, it might be your soap. What are you using for that?

Blue correl or any big gallon size jug of suds specifically for cars ,,, but No wax added.

However I ALWAYS pressure wash ( at a safe distance , water only ) to get the grit off in hopes of less scratching when hand washing with a big ole sponge. I may go to hell for using a sponge , I know sorry .
Would this regular pressure washing have an effect on my wax job durability ? It might I dunno.

Thanks for any tips or pointers
24hrsparkey

2018 TRD OffRoad 5.7 gasser
post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 08:54 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 2,133 Times in 1,115 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Shasta View Post
Wax is 1985. You want a good synthetic product.

Follow around @Jumbo Jet the guy is a detailing genius.

Here's one with steps taken on a neglected finish. You could follow this but skip the correction steps. You'll find a bunch of his threads very helpful.
https://www.tundratalk.net/forums/sho...orrection.html

These guys have great product.
https://www.chemicalguys.com/
Haha, aw man, you guys are way too kind. Greatly appreciate the nice words.
post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 09:23 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24hrsparkey View Post
Blue correl or any big gallon size jug of suds specifically for cars ,,, but No wax added.

However I ALWAYS pressure wash ( at a safe distance , water only ) to get the grit off in hopes of less scratching when hand washing with a big ole sponge. I may go to hell for using a sponge , I know sorry .
Would this regular pressure washing have an effect on my wax job durability ? It might I dunno.

Thanks for any tips or pointers
24hrsparkey
If you're looking to just buy from AutoZone/Walmart, one of the best over the counter washes I've found is Meguiars Gold Class shampoo. Thick suds, slick finish and works well in the foam cannon.

You're pressure washer will not affect the durability of your wax. Especially if you're keeping a safe distance. I pressure wash with a Kranzle 1622 every wash, and I can consistently get 3-4 months beading from my sealants. Washing with a harsh soap will quickly wear down your wax, so be sure to use a ph balanced, quality shampoo.

You won't go to hell for using a sponge, but have fun in purgatory.😊🔥 Swing by AutoZone and pick up a microfiber wash mitt. Personally, I use the Über lambs wool wash mitt.

Hope that helps. Mark
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jumbo Jet For This Useful Post:
24hrsparkey (05-29-2018), UNTMatt (05-29-2018)
post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 12:09 PM

Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,314 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
For the most part most wax (no matter what the bottle or advertising says) won't last much beyond 2-3 months. It simply doesn't have the chemical properties to do so.

Synthetic sealants are going to give you 6-10 months of protection/coverage. I've gotten 12 months before by doing multiple layers of sealants such as Adams Super Sealant or Optima Paint Plus Pro.

Ceramic Sealants are out now that can give you 12 months + protection.

If your truck is outside 365 spend the money have go with a long lasting ceramic sealant.

2017 Tundra Crewmax Limited Weatherby Lake, MO
TRDPro Reservoir shocks Rear
TRD Stainless Dual Exhaust

The Following User Says Thank You to kstateskier For This Useful Post:
Jumbo Jet (05-29-2018)
post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
What is a DA polisher? What does DA stand for?
post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 02:10 PM

Thanked 6,384 Times in 3,803 Posts
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Garage

A picture is worth a thousand words
But your smile is worth a million
post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 02:28 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Cool, thanks for the video link!

I am already invested in the Ryobi 18V cordless power tool line. They make a couple of orbital sanders / buffers:

6-inch:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-18...430G/205509661

10-inch:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-18...P435/205975768

Will either of these be suitable for waxing my Tundra surfaces and windshield?
post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 03:32 PM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandNomad View Post
Cool, thanks for the video link!

I am already invested in the Ryobi 18V cordless power tool line. They make a couple of orbital sanders / buffers:

6-inch:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-18...430G/205509661

10-inch:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-18...P435/205975768

My opinion is that both of those are cheap toys for the "clueless" DIY market. They'll probably be used once with OK results, and thrown on a shelf until some future garage sale. Once the pad that comes with gets worn out, what do you do then? You may even need more than one pad to finish.

Why not spend three times that much and get yourself a "fool-proof" professional grade polisher that will allow you to use a wide range of universal, easily-changed (hook and loop), professional-grade foam pads that can be matched to the task at hand; i.e. heavy cutting (yellow), light-medium cutting (orange), polishing (white), finessing (black), wax/sealant application (red), wherever you are on the correction spectrum. If you start with paint in almost new condition, you'll probably never need a pad more aggressive than orange or white. Learn how to use the tool, and you will get superior results.

https://www.amazon.com/PORTER-CABLE-.../dp/B002654I46

Discard the "free" polishing pad that comes with. Use the polisher with a 6.5" velcro backing pad (purchased separately); you may also want to install an optional counterweight to allow you to use 6.5" pads; makes the work go faster.

These are my favorite foam pads, color coded as above:
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...untry+pads+6.5

2017 SR5 DC TSS 4.6L 2WD Magnetic Gray Metallic/Charcoal Gray
* Undercover Flex tonneau cover
* Coverking neoprene seat covers
* Auto headlight conversion
* Power tail gate lock
* Toyota weather mats
post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 08:24 AM

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandNomad View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGuy43 View Post
My opinion is that both of those are cheap toys for the "clueless" DIY market.
What OldGuy said. I've had them in the past and they sat on a shelf until I tossed them in the trash can.

If you're wanting to stay on a tight budget, get the Harbor Freight DA polisher. Get a coupon and you can pick it up for about $60 or less. Re-grease the gears with better grease, flip the switch plate so it sits on the top, pick up a decent backing plate, and get some of the Lake Country pads OldGuy recommended. There are plenty of YouTube video's on how to regrease and flip the switch (neither is difficult) to help you out.

I have now used it to polish our Tundra and it actually works really good. Probably not as smooth as the professional tools but it has more than enough power to get the job done. It also doesn't hit the pocketbook as hard as the PC or Griot's (and much less than the Rupes or Torq).

--Matt

I'M AWAKE!
post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 08:01 PM
Premium Member

To add to what these guys are recommending, I'd suggest taking a look at the Griots Garage 6" DA Polisher. Its one of the best DA's on the market. But instead of buying a 6.5" backing plate, buy the 5.5" backing plate and use the slightly smaller 5.5" pads. The Porter Cable doesn't have enough torque to properly spin the larger pads, and works so much more efficently with the 5.5" backing plate and pads. The Griots will spin the larger pads, but the 6.5" pads are a little too large in the tighter areas. You will notice little difference in time savings using the 6.5" pads over the 5.5" pads. You'll be able to whip that thing around all over the truck with the smaller pads. I haven't put my 6.5" polishing pads on in years. I only use my red 6.5" pads for applying sealants.

Griots has a HD version that has a 25' cord. Its pretty sweet not having to pull out the extension cord every time.

Hope that helps,

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Detailing Tips and Tricks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in