TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum (https://www.tundratalk.net/forums/)
-   Detailing Tips and Tricks (https://www.tundratalk.net/forums/detailing-tips-tricks/)
-   -   Yellow road paint removal (https://www.tundratalk.net/forums/detailing-tips-tricks/703498-yellow-road-paint-removal.html)

alpine4 09-09-2017 07:57 PM

Yellow road paint removal

I noticed when washing the truck I have some yellow road paint splatter. Just a small amount of splatter. How does one remove the paint? I thought about taking a razor blade to it, very carefully of course.

Mr. Creosote 09-09-2017 08:08 PM

I would defer this question to detailing dudes who frequent this board, but my first inclination would be a clay bar.

Jumbo Jet 09-09-2017 09:36 PM

Unfortunately, clay usually just glides right over it, without picking it up. When I run into this, I use a plastic razor blade to pop them off. You can lightly scrape the paint with a plastic razor without damage.

Craig Bireley 10-25-2017 11:46 PM

I heard WD40 works

alpine4 10-29-2017 05:08 PM

I heard that to, think I'll try plastic razor blade. My truck is so dirty I forgot all about the small splash of paint.

Tundraladysgotit 01-19-2018 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alpine4 (Post 8966170)
I heard that to, think I'll try plastic razor blade. My truck is so dirty I forgot all about the small splash of paint.

I had the same yellow paint. Spray wd40 on it and leave it about 15 min. It will wipe right off!! Its awesome! It also removes tar.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920AZ using Tapatalk

Powertechn2 01-19-2018 10:01 PM

Denatured alcohol also works pretty damned good on almost anything.

Av8torT 01-20-2018 09:15 PM

WD40 works great.

jakson200369 05-18-2018 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Av8torT (Post 9125849)
WD40 works great.

One thing about WD40 in comparison to other chemicals is that WD40 will NOT hurt your finish at all. As another member stated you can spray it on and leave it for a few minutes, 15 or whatever. I've used the soak and leave it alone method with great results, sometimes it is even better to spray a clean rag and hold it on the area, so that way it will not run down and you get the area good and soaked. Makes an excellent engine de-greaser as well. WD40 can be purchased in 1 gallon metal cans, no garage is complete without a gallon on hand at all times. I also use WD40 to remove caulk from my hands when doing home repairs, in that situation it does 10 times the job denatured alcohol will without drying your hands out so dang bad! Be careful with denatured alcohol, that stuff is really powerful and can do a lot of damage.

CoNative 05-18-2018 04:24 PM

I tried all the easy methods (WD40, alcohol, bug-b-gone, simple green, gasoline! etc etc) to try to get white road paint off without success. Found I could pop the little splatters off with my thumbnail. When my thumbs went numb, I got smart and used a window scraper (for removing ice/frost) to remove the rest of them.

alpine4 05-18-2018 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jakson200369 (Post 9321218)
One thing about WD40 in comparison to other chemicals is that WD40 will NOT hurt your finish at all. As another member stated you can spray it on and leave it for a few minutes, 15 or whatever. I've used the soak and leave it alone method with great results, sometimes it is even better to spray a clean rag and hold it on the area, so that way it will not run down and you get the area good and soaked. Makes an excellent engine de-greaser as well. WD40 can be purchased in 1 gallon metal cans, no garage is complete without a gallon on hand at all times. I also use WD40 to remove caulk from my hands when doing home repairs, in that situation it does 10 times the job denatured alcohol will without drying your hands out so dang bad! Be careful with denatured alcohol, that stuff is really powerful and can do a lot of damage.

Great tips I will give it a try.

MarcFL 05-19-2018 12:37 AM

Once you tried, please update if WD40 worked for you?!