TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum (https://www.tundratalk.net/forums/)
-   Detailing Tips and Tricks (https://www.tundratalk.net/forums/detailing-tips-tricks/)
-   -   Looking to repair a few scratches in truck (https://www.tundratalk.net/forums/detailing-tips-tricks/697762-looking-repair-few-scratches-truck.html)

bdennis02 08-12-2017 06:13 PM

Looking to repair a few scratches in truck

Couple of these scratches are a little deep and the other ones are just little ones, what would you all recommended the best way to do this ? I heard of using some sort of clay brick? Any tips will be appreciated.

dforlenza 08-12-2017 06:25 PM

clay bars (at least what I'm familiar with) are more for removing dirt / contaminants like sap off the paint, not paint repair. I would get a da polisher and go at the scratches with a cutting wheel and some compound. If the scratches are big and deep you may need to wet sand a little first. If you have never used a polishing wheel before and you are afraid to mess up your paint, it may be easier to just pay for paint correction / detailing.

OldGuy43 08-12-2017 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdennis02 (Post 8797314)
Couple of these scratches are a little deep and the other ones are just little ones, what would you all recommended the best way to do this ? I heard of using some sort of clay brick? Any tips will be appreciated.

If the scratches are deep enough to be through the clear coat, which typically is only about one mil (0.001") or less, there is really not a lot you can do.

If it's not through the clear coat, then you can maybe polish it away using rubbing compound alone, and maybe just manually using a microfiber towel.

If that isn't working, then you may then have to try a DA polisher with the compound. I would recommend 3M 05973 rubbing compound with a Lake Country yellow cutting pad on a Porter Cable 7424 polisher. If that isn't working, then you'll have to finish sand the scratch out, and then polish the area using the double action polisher and rubbing compound. I use 1500 grit paper to sand out the scratch, then 2000 grit to sand out the 1500 sand scratches, always keeping the area wet during sanding with a spray bottle of water. Rubbing compound is then used to remove the 2000 sand scratches.

This should be a pretty safe process for a beginner. Important thing to remember when finish or color sanding is that the lubricant water should always have a white color to it...that's the clear being sanded off. You should not see ANY color; if you see color, stop immediately, you're through the clear coat. Stop sanding just when there is no surface indication of the scratch, or maybe just slightly before, then polish it the rest of the way.

There's a ton of good and bad youtube videos:
Youll need a VERY LONG attention span.
Quick and easy explanation

Luminoz 10-24-2017 01:24 AM

Thanks for the info!