LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 03:28 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
What all do you suggest I....

Gentlemen and any Ladies,

I've had my 2017 CM TSS in Blue for 2 weeks and been doing a lot of reading and watching videos on washing and detailing. I know I want 3 buckets 1 for wheels and 2 for the rest of the truck.
Do I buy a chemical guys buckets and thier grit guards that I read only really fit thier buckets? As I like thier new cyclone style guards.

How many diffrent types of microfiber towel do I really need?

How often do you wax or seal your trucks?

Anyone else live in a bug infested place? I am in Louisiana and have these bugs called love bugs and it always looks like a massacre on my grill. Any way to protect that area for the week between washing? Thier guts are acid like. I learned the hard way when I moved here and didnt wash my first truck for a month due to getting tired of dealing with them and didnt know it would eat through the paint.

Thanks for any and all advice/info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 07:37 AM

Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,314 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
1.) I don't bucket wash I use the no touch wand at the car wash instead. However this year I'm adding a power washer to my stable and most likely a foam gun. Adams makes nice buckets too. I use the Absorber or the leaf blower to dry my trucks.

2.) I have a buncha cheap microfibers that I use for cleaning interiors and wiping down wheels. ANY microfiber that touches the paint is the Adams Double or Triple soft edgeless towels. They are hands down, without a doubt the best. Double Soft Towels

3.) Paint sealant, every 6 months. Most wax is only effective for about 30-45 days unless it never gets wet and is parked inside. I prefer Ultima Paint Guard Plus or Adams Machine Super Sealant. But there are a ton of great options.

4.) Put 2 layers of sealant on the grill with the bugs or layer a coat of wax over your sealant each month.

2017 Tundra Crewmax Limited Weatherby Lake, MO
TRDPro Reservoir shocks Rear
TRD Stainless Dual Exhaust
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Following User Says Thank You to kstateskier For This Useful Post:
socal57chevy (01-28-2017)
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 10:57 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 2,133 Times in 1,115 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
1. To add to that, I really like these Battlewagon buckets with the thick rope handles. You can pick any size bucket, color and color of rope as well. Having a rope handle is really the way to go, makes it super easy to pick up and move around when full. Any standard grit guard will fit as well. I have a few of these buckets with grit guards.

Battlewagon Buckets - Top Shelf Marine Products

2. For MF towels, I've completely restocked my stash with towels from The Rag Company. All towels are not the same. Buy only Korean made towels, they are a tighter weave and much softer than the cheap Chineese made towels. You can feel the difference. Their Eagle Edgeless towels are some of the nicest towels I've ever used. You will need glass towels, buffing towels, waffle weave drying towels and some interior towels. About 3-4 of each will get you started. The prices at The Rag Company are incredibly cheap. You'll be hard pressed to find such high quality Korean towels for such a low price.

South Korean Microfiber Products | The Rag Company Wholesale

3. I live in Florida, so we deal with love bugs as well. I have XPel full front wrap on my truck, so I don't worry too much about them anymore, but I still coat my truck with Menzerna Powerlock or Sonax Polymer Net Shield on a weekly basis during love bug season. Those little suckers are nasty
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jumbo Jet For This Useful Post:
socal57chevy (01-28-2017), UNTMatt (02-01-2017)

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 04:51 PM

Thanked 10,688 Times in 5,767 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Only input I have is once a microfiber hits the ground, it is no longer used for paint. Period.

At that point it might become an interior towel, or a glass towel, or exterior glass towel.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I put the Laughter in Slaughter, and the Fun in funeral.
KTM 450xc QUAD, Baldwin head, Ti valves, 8/06 cam, motoworks, goldspeed tires...
Gone/not forgotten: 2010 CM RW that was sweet,
NOW: 2017 Platinum. Tinted, trd duals, Exo Grapplers. Led h-lights and interior, Hard hat tonneau, line-x, Rancho uca/level'd
I like weapons. I dont capitalize, use spell check, or punctuate properly...
and you can call me Power.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Powertechn2 For This Useful Post:
Jumbo Jet (01-21-2017), kstateskier (01-22-2017), socal57chevy (01-28-2017)
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 02:42 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo Jet View Post
1. To add to that, I really like these Battlewagon buckets with the thick rope handles. You can pick any size bucket, color and color of rope as well. Having a rope handle is really the way to go, makes it super easy to pick up and move around when full. Any standard grit guard will fit as well. I have a few of these buckets with grit guards.

2. For MF towels, I've completely restocked my stash with towels from The Rag Company. All towels are not the same. Buy only Korean made towels, they are a tighter weave and much softer than the cheap Chineese made towels. You can feel the difference. Their Eagle Edgeless towels are some of the nicest towels I've ever used. You will need glass towels, buffing towels, waffle weave drying towels and some interior towels. About 3-4 of each will get you started. The prices at The Rag Company are incredibly cheap. You'll be hard pressed to find such high quality Korean towels for such a low price.

3. I live in Florida, so we deal with love bugs as well. I have XPel full front wrap on my truck, so I don't worry too much about them anymore, but I still coat my truck with Menzerna Powerlock or Sonax Polymer Net Shield on a weekly basis during love bug season. Those little suckers are nasty
On the Eagle edgeless do you use them for interior or for buffing? Looking at the site the Everest ultra plush look like a nice buffing option also the dry me a river sound great for drying! Thanks for the tip on them would never of tried them.

I looked up the xpel and have 1 place that does it here going to call them monday and see how much it will cost to get it done anything to stop those damn bugs
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Painter For This Useful Post:
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 08:49 AM

Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,314 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Quote:

Because its your recommendation @Jumbo Jet I'm going to try your Eagle Edgeless when I order new towels! I love the Adams but they can get pricey.

2017 Tundra Crewmax Limited Weatherby Lake, MO
TRDPro Reservoir shocks Rear
TRD Stainless Dual Exhaust

Last edited by kstateskier; 01-22-2017 at 08:53 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to kstateskier For This Useful Post:
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 10:11 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstateskier View Post
Because its your recommendation @Jumbo Jet I'm going to try your Eagle Edgeless when I order new towels! I love the Adams but they can get pricey.
They are by far the nicest buffing towels I've tried. I tested a few at first, then once I saw how great they are, I bought 40 of them. I bought mine in blue. They are ridiculously soft. I have nearly every kind of Korean towel the Rag Company offers, and love every one of them. As long as they are in business, I will only buy my towels from them. I would not be surprised if all of the other brands are buying and reselling them from Rag Company.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jumbo Jet For This Useful Post:
Powertechn2 (01-25-2017), socal57chevy (01-28-2017)
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 10:32 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Quote:

They are by far the nicest buffing towels I've tried. I tested a few at first, then once I saw how great they are, I bought 40 of them. I bought mine in blue. They are ridiculously soft. I have nearly every kind of Korean towel the Rag Company offers, and love every one of them. As long as they are in business, I will only buy my towels from them. I would not be surprised if all of the other brands are buying and reselling them from Rag Company.
ADDED TO CART. No seriously, I found em on Amazon and pulled the trigger.

Bookmarking this thread.

2014 5.7L SR Loooooong bed!
DirtyDeeds Stainless 8" BAMuffler
Viper 5706v
Driver Side Grab Handle
Raptor 4" Nerf Bars
20% Tint
BBS RD423 20" wheels. Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015xl 275/55R20
The Following User Says Thank You to Idiot406 For This Useful Post:
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 10:37 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Painter View Post
On the Eagle edgeless do you use them for interior or for buffing? Looking at the site the Everest ultra plush look like a nice buffing option also the dry me a river sound great for drying! Thanks for the tip on them would never of tried them.

I looked up the xpel and have 1 place that does it here going to call them monday and see how much it will cost to get it done anything to stop those damn bugs
I use the Eagle Edgeless for buffing only. Unlike the cheap Chineese towels, the Eagle Edgeless towels do not shed. They really are amazing towels.

I use the Dry Me a River Jr. towels for drying. They are the perfect size for cars and trucks. The full size DMR towels are massive, about the size of a beach towel. I bought 6 last year to take on our trip to Iceland because we rented a camper van and I wanted something that would pack easy and be able to dry us off after swimming. They worked perfect for that, but they're just so damn big for detailing.

The Platinum Pluffle is one of my favorites. It's a hybrid of a buffing towel and waffle weave drying towel. I have about 20 of these. Super cool towel, somebody deserves a Nobel prize for inventing this towel.

I use the Nite Ryder for interior work. I also have around 30 of the Everest 1100 16x16 towels. Very similar to the Eagles.

As for the XPel.....it's worth every last cent. My good friend is an installer for XPel. I brought the truck home from the dealer in the morning, and he came over at noon to install it. Truck had 4 miles on it with no dealer prep wash so paint was perfect. Took him about 5-6 hours to wrap everything. My kit included 3/4 coverage of hood, 3/4 quarter panels, head lights, below head lights, fog lights, 1/4 coverage of roof, A-pillars and door handle cups. XPel is self healing if scratched, and virtually invisible on the paint. Love bugs rinse right off of it. Best thing I've done for the protection of the paint.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jumbo Jet For This Useful Post:
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 10:45 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomscigars View Post
ADDED TO CART. No seriously, I found em on Amazon and pulled the trigger.

Bookmarking this thread.
Good score! Fellow longbedder too
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 10:46 PM
Premium Member
Premium Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Garage
Another vote for the eagle edge less towels.

I've spent more money than I care to admit on other towels and these are the best preforming at an extremely reasonable price.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Newm For This Useful Post:
Jumbo Jet (01-22-2017), socal57chevy (01-28-2017)
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 10:50 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Quote:
Good score! Fellow longbedder too
LOOOOOOOOOOONG BED!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20161223_162213.jpg (197.7 KB, 226 views)

2014 5.7L SR Loooooong bed!
DirtyDeeds Stainless 8" BAMuffler
Viper 5706v
Driver Side Grab Handle
Raptor 4" Nerf Bars
20% Tint
BBS RD423 20" wheels. Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015xl 275/55R20
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Idiot406 For This Useful Post:
Jumbo Jet (01-22-2017), socal57chevy (01-28-2017)
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 11:45 PM
Premium Member

Nice!!! Long bed is the only way to go

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-25-2017, 10:22 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Is Jet Seal by chemical guys a good sealant? That what i was going to get for my truck or should I skip them
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Painter For This Useful Post:
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-25-2017, 10:37 PM

Thanked 10,688 Times in 5,767 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomscigars View Post
LOOOOOOOOOOONG BED!

Reminds me of some girls I know...

Decent up front, with a huge back-end

I am likely going to order some new towels.

I only have one bag of new micro's left.

I used one of them on the windows and damn, fibers everywhere. Had to re-do them.

Mind you, I didn't pre-wash like I normally do.

But fibers first normally means they will keep dropping fibers. Might be less, but still will drop em.

I put the Laughter in Slaughter, and the Fun in funeral.
KTM 450xc QUAD, Baldwin head, Ti valves, 8/06 cam, motoworks, goldspeed tires...
Gone/not forgotten: 2010 CM RW that was sweet,
NOW: 2017 Platinum. Tinted, trd duals, Exo Grapplers. Led h-lights and interior, Hard hat tonneau, line-x, Rancho uca/level'd
I like weapons. I dont capitalize, use spell check, or punctuate properly...
and you can call me Power.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Powertechn2 For This Useful Post:
MattFL850 (01-28-2017), socal57chevy (01-28-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Detailing Tips and Tricks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in