Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Ask the Guru - Detailing Questions

304K views 2K replies 212 participants last post by  SteveGT 
#1 · (Edited)
This is the place to ask your detailing questions and our very own resident detail guru will help answer.

For this section of TT, Jumbo Jet is your moderator as well as the Guru. He may also enlist other members to be part of team.

Hope this is helpful & Enjoy!

#1,813 ·
Although not a Tundra owner yet, I have been reading this thread and am looking into a MGM TRD Pro.

I have pretty good brush marks down the sides of my tuxedo black raptor from running out in the desert... would the FG 400 and then SF 4000 be pretty sufficient in dealing with them and the swirls? Also, do i need the 8oz container?

how many of the medium pads should I use? I am going to order the Griot DA starter kit that comes with the pads (1 each though)

I have some Zaino Z2 and Z5 in the garage, I remember one of them is for fine scratches.. can this be used in place of the 4000?

Finally, I have a 3D detailing store near me... any stuff there I could use rather than ordering online?

Last question, any benefit sealing before I do the zaino polymer polish for the final step?

I am getting my truck all pretty before i take her in for a trade in estimate.

thanks

#1,814 ·
FG 400 is a pretty aggressive compound. Use FG 400 with an orange foam pad with the Griots on 4-5. Leave it on, then switch to a white pad and go right over it with SF 4000....then buff that off with a fluffy microfiber. The smaller bottles will be plenty for you. You can get many cars done out of the smaller bottles.

As a good starting point on pads, I'd get two of each. 2 orange, 2 white and 2 red. That will cover you pretty well.

I think you're slightly confused about the Zaino. Z-2 and Z-5 and final sealants, and not equivelant to SF 4000. The way they label it as a polish confuses a lot of people. Z-2 is a better looking sealant on lighter colors and Z-5 looks better on darker colors. This opinion is subjective, so try both and see which one you like better.

Zaino needs a perfectly clean surface to bond to, so putting Z2/Z5 over another sealant will be a wasted step. After you finish compounding and polishing, do a 50/50 alcohol/water wipe down to prep the surface for Z2/Z5. Apply Zaino with a red finishing pad. Allow it to flash for about an hour then buff clean.

Hope that helps.

Mark

#1,816 ·
#1,818 ·
Any of the polishes you mentioned will be fine for a finishing polish. I use sf 4000. A blue pad for the finishing polish is fine.

Reactions: Dixon Cider
#1,819 ·
Welp..... pulled the trigger on some detailing goods. I am a newbie to this self-detailing but am pumped to get into this and keep the paint on my new TRD PRO and wife's RX 350 in tip top shape!

Ordered a truckload of stuff today, so now its just the pressure to make sure my wife's car looks fantastic when I finish with it so I can justify this expense! haha

I ordered:
(1x) Griot's Garage Random Orbital Polisher 6" with a 5" backing plate (only 1 is fine, or do I need to get a 2nd plate?)
(2x) Uber 5 pack foam pad 5.5 inch (assorted color pack)
(1x) Adam's Detail Spray
(1x) 1Z einszett Plastic Deep Cleaner
(1x) Nanoskin Glide Autoscrub System Lube
(1x) 6" Nanoskin autoscrub 6" fine grade foam pad for DA polisher (Do i need to get a larger backing plate for this, or will using the 5" plate be OK?)
(1x) Adams Super VRT
(1x) Sonax Gloss Shampoo Concentrate
(1x) Sonax Full Effect Wheel Cleaner
(1x) Uber detail boar's hair brush
(1x) Wheel Woolie
(2x) 5 gal bucket
(2x) grit guard bucket inserts
(1x) Menzerna SF 4500 Final finish
(1x) Menzerna SIP 1500
(1x) Menzerna Power Lock Sealant
(2x) Chemical Guys Wool wash mitt
(1x) Uber 10-pack no name MF Towel 16x16

So...... i think I got everything I'm needing for a good detail job, inside and out, yeah? Please critique/comment/suggestions if you see something missing from my order that could be somewhat necessary.

Thanks, dudes for all the info, lots of stuff learned from reading through all these posts from the last couple of years - amazing!

#1,820 ·
It's hard for me to think about detailing this time of year here in the Northeast but here it goes. 1,5" backing plate is enough. It will also be fine with the nanoskin. You might want to pick up some more pads and microfiber towels. I go through 2 sets of pads while polishing and 1 pad while sealing. The pads get caked up with spent polish about midway through the Tundra. You can never have to many microfibers! I use 2 to 3 per polishing and sealing step. Then you need some for the interior, wheels, tires, etc. A good drying microfiber is also nice to have.

A little tip. Sonax Full Effect is good but you can pickup Eagle One a2z all wheel and tire cleaner at Walmart for around 4 bucks a bottle. I feel it works better than the Sonax at a fraction of the cost.

Other than that looks like you have a great order comming your way.

#1,822 ·
The deep plastic cleaner will clean it nicely. For protectant try 303 aerospace protectant. I have not used it on leather but I would imagine it would do a fine job. @Jumbojet any recomendations? You might want to pick up 303 anyway for other interior plastics. It's great stuff and leaves a subtle shine that I really like.

Reactions: Dixon Cider
#1,828 ·
Wow! Great first order....very impressive. The others have given you great tips and advice. However, they've left out the most important tip....the savings! Based on your list, I assume this is an order from Detailers Domain? If so, use coupon code NEWBIE for 15% off.

An amazing leather cleaner is Einszettes Deep Plastic Cleaner. Follow that with Einszettes Leather Care to seal and protect and leave a supple finish.

Again, great list.....enjoy and please post pics!

Mark

#1,834 ·
It pays to shop around. Take a look at Detailed Image. They have great specials, fast inexpensive shipping, and great regular prices.

#1,840 ·
Sorry Autogeek OnLine. I have the Harbor Freight, a Rupes LHR 75E HD Mini Random Orbital Polisher and Porter cable. Porter Cable is enough and is better than the Harbor Freight. The Harbor Freight works and cost less but for more functionality there are a few mods to make it more friendly. Out of the three posted the Rupes does not make my hands as numb as the other two.

#1,842 ·
Many of the high end microfiber towels are produced by the Koreans but cut to size in China.
By the way Autogeek Online has a 20% off. Just use Stock20 in the coupon code section.

#1,843 ·
I have a Makita 7" polisher and a Dynabrade dual action adapter like this one

http://www.autopia.org/forums/machi...48049-dynabrade-dual-action-buffing-head.html

I have read the first 90 pages of this detailing thread, and my question is should i sell these on ebay and buy a Griots DA, or will i be OK with it if i put a smaller backing plate on. I have about $400 tied up in this one, but selling it would let me buy most of what i need from the list of products mentioned. ( I bought this setup a couple of years ago)

Reactions: Mr. Creosote
#1,844 ·
I have never used an adapter like you described. Is the polisher adjustable speed? You typically use different settings (1-6) with different steps or desired outcomes. If it is not adjustable speed I would get a regular DA polisher. The only other thing would be size and weight. DAs are fairly light and are manoverable. It takes a long time to correct a cars paint. Holding the DA for long periods of time. You could always add a Harbor Freight DA to your tools. For around 50 bucks you get a good polisher. Mine has done lots of cars over a few years and is going strong.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

#1,845 ·
#1,849 ·
Both Quality machines and would serve you well.

#1,851 ·
Well I made the jump and made a few orders so now I should have my DA polisher and some products later this week and will try my hand at polishing this weekend if I can get the time. Here is a list of the stuff I have on the way

Torq 10fx
multiple polishing pads
Premium Red line microfiber towels
Chemical guys products:
Nonsense
Bare bones
Butter wet wax
Hybrid V7
50/50 Paste wax
V32,34,36,38 Compound and Polishes

A full wash set with multiple buckets and grit guards
Multiple different brushes for wheels and interior
Menzerna Power lock
and I also picked up a $100 mystery box from autogeek so we will see what comes in that later this week!!

I think I got a pretty good jump on stuff so I will see when it gets in if I need anything else.
Im sure I will have plenty of questions as I go along, Thanks to everyone who has contributed to the thread it was a ton of help! Stay tuned for pics later in the week!

#1,852 ·
Awsome. Sounds like you have a great order comming in. I like CG products. Hope you were able to take advantage of their 30% off sale this weekend.

#1,856 ·
Looks good.

#1,854 ·
Hey guys I was also wondering after I use powerlock to seal the truck what do I need to do as far as maintenance washes? Do I just wash and dry the truck with mild wash like chemical guys mr. Pink or do I also clay the truck? Not sure if flaying would remove the powerlock?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#1,855 ·
You do not want to clay as maintinance. It will remove the powerlock. Wash between details using the 2 bucket method with a pH balanced automotive soap. Mr Pink is a fine soap to use.my personal favorite is CG max suds 2. Dry with water then a leaf blower then blot any remaining water with a drying microfiber towel. I use CG after wash was well which helps with drying and lubricates the paint to help avoid swirls. It also adds shine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.