Ask the Guru - Detailing Questions - Page 132 - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1966 of 1983 (permalink) Old 10-15-2017, 11:32 AM
Premium Member
Premium Member

Thanked 1,392 Times in 740 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Garage
I was told my new truck was treated(paint) with "Lusterizing Sealant" and then instructed to not wax it for 5 years.
What kind of sorcery is this? Has anyone else heard of this?

I'm not opposed to not having to bust my butt waxing it, just never heard this before.

Also, if I shouldn't wax it, is there a special detergent I should use so as not to void the warranty?

Not California compliant

Last edited by Jason75979; 10-15-2017 at 11:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1967 of 1983 (permalink) Old 10-15-2017, 07:13 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lowlife View Post
Detailed the exterior of the wife's MKC today.

Adams Super VRT for the exterior vinyl
Nanoskin with the DA polisher, I love that thing
NANOSKIN GLIDE Instant Detail Spray Lubricant
Chemical Guys Jet Seal on everything including glass
Meguiar's 26 Wax
Black magic Tire Wet

5 hours of fun....

I learned a lot from reading this thread.
I never would have done this (to such detail) before joining this forum.
Thanks guys..

Now I'm 2 fistin' beers in the garage listening to.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6F7xMRWB10

My 2 favorite beers and Shiner is only a 10 minute drive.....gottah make that beer tour some day...

oh topic....good looking all cleaned up and all...!

next time add a Macanudo next to the beers....

2003 F-250 7.3 XLT-traded for 2014 4Runner TE Prem.
2010 F-150 gone for a 14' CM, 4x4, 5.7L, Barcelona Red, Tan interior TSS Pkg.>2018 F-250 XLT FX4 6.2L

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Going down in a pile of brass, Jack!
post #1968 of 1983 (permalink) Old 10-15-2017, 07:48 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason75979 View Post
I was told my new truck was treated(paint) with "Lusterizing Sealant" and then instructed to not wax it for 5 years.

I'm not opposed to not having to bust my butt waxing it, just never heard this before.

Also, if I shouldn't wax it, is there a special detergent I should use so as not to void the warranty?
Based on a little research I did and what I've read here, this is a crock.

My brother recently bought a new white 4runner and bought something similar as a sealant. So I read up on it a bit and couldn't find validation that this was anywhere close to accurate. I would do my own application in a year or so, assuming they did it right in the first place.

post #1969 of 1983 (permalink) Old 10-15-2017, 10:52 PM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Quote:

@Jason75979 , you may be aware that this "Lusterizing Sealant" is a Gulf States Toyota product that came with your truck. I think it was part of that "P2 Protection Package" listed on your window sticker.

I'm looking at the tube that came with my truck as I type this. The tube says it's made by APS Automotive Protection Systems located in Schertz, Texas 78154. In fact, I have wanted to ask if anyone on TT had tried it and how well it worked. I didn't receive any instructions with the truck. I am sold on sealants, but five years?...I'm not so sure I would wait that long to renew the sealant coating.
post #1970 of 1983 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 01:25 PM
Premium Member
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGuy43 View Post
@Jason75979 , you may be aware that this "Lusterizing Sealant" is a Gulf States Toyota product that came with your truck. I think it was part of that "P2 Protection Package" listed on your window sticker.

I'm looking at the tube that came with my truck as I type this. The tube says it's made by APS Automotive Protection Systems located in Schertz, Texas 78154. In fact, I have wanted to ask if anyone on TT had tried it and how well it worked. I didn't receive any instructions with the truck. I am sold on sealants, but five years?...I'm not so sure I would wait that long to renew the sealant coating.
Exactly my line of thought. I'll try to research it when I get home or some more time.

Not California compliant
post #1971 of 1983 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 09:32 AM
Premium Member
Premium Member

Garage
I called and spoke with my salesman yesterday evening. I received a much different answer and explanation from him.
Him: "Jason, you shouldn't need to wax it for 5 years, but if it starts to look like it needs a waxing in a year or so, bring it in first so we can inspect it for warranty purposes".

The finance manager is the man in charge of all signings, as well as the one that originally said: "you shouldn't​ wax it for 5 years".

Not California compliant
The Following User Says Thank You to Jason75979 For This Useful Post:
OldGuy43 (10-17-2017)
post #1972 of 1983 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 01:08 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,045 Times in 697 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Quote:
I called and spoke with my salesman yesterday evening. I received a much different answer and explanation from him.
Him: "Jason, you shouldn't need to wax it for 5 years, but if it starts to look like it needs a waxing in a year or so, bring it in first so we can inspect it for warranty purposes".

The finance manager is the man in charge of all signings, as well as the one that originally said: "you shouldn't​ wax it for 5 years".
Iíll take a stab at it...

That stuff is crap. It wonít last 5 years. You wonít do all the BS things the ďwarrantyĒ states, so that will be void. Youíre overpaying for it because itís garbage. Itís nothing more than a profit generator. I wouldnít let them apply it to your truck. I wouldnít let them charge you for it.

Significantly better coating options out there than this junk.

2016 Tundra - DC | Limited | TRD | 5.7 | 4x4 | Lux Pack | Ceramic Tint | Husky X-Act Contour | AMP PowerSteps | TRD Sway Bar | TRD Exhaust | Full VLEDS | 2018 OEM LED Headlights & Fog Lights

post #1973 of 1983 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 01:57 PM
Premium Member
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatAvalon View Post
Iíll take a stab at it...

That stuff is crap. It wonít last 5 years. You wonít do all the BS things the ďwarrantyĒ states, so that will be void. Youíre overpaying for it because itís garbage. Itís nothing more than a profit generator. I wouldnít let them apply it to your truck. I wouldnít let them charge you for it.

Significantly better coating options out there than this junk.
I'm not having it done.
I worked a deal for a truck. They couldn't get the truck via dealer trade. They found this truck, with the added lusterizing sealant and a couple of other things, and honored the original deal. No additional $.

Not California compliant
post #1974 of 1983 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 02:41 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
I'm not having it done.
I worked a deal for a truck. They couldn't get the truck via dealer trade. They found this truck, with the added lusterizing sealant and a couple of other things, and honored the original deal. No additional $.
Gotcha. I wouldnít think anything about it and carry on as if it isnít there. Itís junk so assuming it was applied correctly and all that, itíll be done in 3-6 months. But, they donít apply it well iím sure, so probably wear off sooner than that. I would seriously just act like it doesnít exist.

Actually, thatís a lie. Iíd get the truck home and strip wash whatever that crap is off, chemical decontaminate, mechanical decontaminate, polish to make sure itís all gone, and then seal or probably coat.

2016 Tundra - DC | Limited | TRD | 5.7 | 4x4 | Lux Pack | Ceramic Tint | Husky X-Act Contour | AMP PowerSteps | TRD Sway Bar | TRD Exhaust | Full VLEDS | 2018 OEM LED Headlights & Fog Lights

post #1975 of 1983 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 03:11 PM
Premium Member

I should add that I hate profit makers like this that GST and SET do. So sorry if coming across strong ����

post #1976 of 1983 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 03:33 PM
Premium Member
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Gotcha. I wouldnít think anything about it and carry on as if it isnít there. Itís junk so assuming it was applied correctly and all that, itíll be done in 3-6 months. But, they donít apply it well iím sure, so probably wear off sooner than that. I would seriously just act like it doesnít exist.

Actually, thatís a lie. Iíd get the truck home and strip wash whatever that crap is off, chemical decontaminate, mechanical decontaminate, polish to make sure itís all gone, and then seal or probably coat.
Someone has a vendetta

Not California compliant
post #1977 of 1983 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 03:40 PM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Quote:
...Actually, thatís a lie. Iíd get the truck home and strip wash whatever that crap is off, chemical decontaminate, mechanical decontaminate, polish to make sure itís all gone, and then seal or probably coat.
And I thought you were just tryin' to say nothin' good could come out of Schertz, Texas

@RingSteel , @1lowlife , ALMOST, I am persuaded to give up ACDC, ZZTop, Rolling Stones, et al, and plug into some good ol' Dwight Yoakum beer-drinkin', hell-raisin', cut & shoot music.

P.S. Real Shiner comes in bottles.
The Following User Says Thank You to OldGuy43 For This Useful Post:
RingSteel (10-17-2017)
post #1978 of 1983 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 04:31 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 2,079 Times in 1,456 Posts
Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1277 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGuy43 View Post
And I thought you were just tryin' to say nothin' good could come out of Schertz, Texas

@RingSteel , @1lowlife , ALMOST, I am persuaded to give up ACDC, ZZTop, Rolling Stones, et al, and plug into some good ol' Dwight Yoakum beer-drinkin', hell-raisin', cut & shoot music.

P.S. Real Shiner comes in bottles.
Real Shiner comes out of a tap.

I don't know why I like can Shiner more than bottles but I do..
I like other canned beer as well.
Wife drinks the Shiner Light Blonde.

But here is a can beer I didn't like.

Learn it, know it, live it.
2014 Tundra Double Cab TSS SR5 5.7
Official Magnetic Grey Club # 305
Texas Tundra Group #183
post #1979 of 1983 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 04:51 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason75979 View Post
someone has a vendetta
Lol

Last edited by GreatAvalon; 10-17-2017 at 05:20 PM.
post #1980 of 1983 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 11:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Detailing question here:

Long story short, but sunroof open, idiot running their fingers along the seal and got grease on their fingers and wiped it off on the headliner when realizing it, then splashing beer all over the headliner when I called them out on it.

Any idea how to get it out?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Detailing Tips and Tricks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in