Ask the Guru - Detailing Questions - Page 121 - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1801 of 1983 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 12:12 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,431 Posts
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1245 Post(s)
As much as i thought I was careful not to get my polish/sealant/wax on the plastic bumper parts, I did just a little.
Odd thing is I couldn't see it until several days after I detailed the truck.
What can I use to remove the wax from these plastic parts?

Learn it, know it, live it.
2014 Tundra Double Cab TSS SR5 5.7
Official Magnetic Grey Club # 305
Texas Tundra Group #183
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1lowlife For This Useful Post:
Dixon Cider (01-12-2016), Mr. Creosote (09-07-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1802 of 1983 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 12:34 PM

Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,314 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lowlife View Post
As much as i thought I was careful not to get my polish/sealant/wax on the plastic bumper parts, I did just a little.
Odd thing is I couldn't see it until several days after I detailed the truck.
What can I use to remove the wax from these plastic parts?
Peanut Butter and a toothbrush. scrub and rinse with water. Then apply some sort of protectant like Adams SVRT

2017 Tundra Crewmax Limited Weatherby Lake, MO
TRDPro Reservoir shocks Rear
TRD Stainless Dual Exhaust
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kstateskier For This Useful Post:
Dixon Cider (01-12-2016), firerescue4 (09-07-2015), Jumbo Jet (09-07-2015), Mr. Creosote (09-07-2015)
post #1803 of 1983 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 03:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
I want to use liquid glass on my truck, I have not waxed or detailed the truck since picking it up from the dealership 2 months ago. Will driving my car through the carwash be sufficient before I apply liquid glass?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to misterthi For This Useful Post:
Dixon Cider (01-12-2016), Mr. Creosote (10-14-2015)

post #1804 of 1983 (permalink) Old 10-14-2015, 12:58 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Detailing Newbie

Thanks for all the info guys, this thread is awesome!
I just spent the last week or so reading ALL 121 pages. So much info, but I learned a lot. Starting to put my detailing list of things to buy and man does this add up quick! I just recently got my first truck which is a 2010 DC 4.6 and I want to keep it looking good for as long as I can. I believe the info from this thread will allow me to do so.
I do have a few questions though, some are just for clarification purposes. I don't recall seeing them addressed, or maybe I just didn't understand:

1) jumbo talks about applying the powerlock sealant then letting it haze then buff off. does that mean use the "drying with water" technique at this point? (hose, leaf blower, blot dry)
2) Some people mention priming pads. do i have to do this before i use any fresh pad? does this mean spraying on a bit of detail spray, or rubbing in some polish on the pad before putting on my dime sized spots?
3) If your trim is painted, do you treat it like the rest of your paint? or do you use trim cleaner?
4) how do you guys access underneath the front door handles to correct/polish? 3" backing plate with 3" pads on a 6" griots? or just do it by hand?
5) how would you apply something like collinites 845 to your wheels?

I got zero detailing experience, but with all this info I'm excited to tackle this.

Oh, one last question: i'm really not in any rush to purchase these supplies as I just got the truck and am kinda low on cash, but does anyone know if detailersdomain, autogeek, or any of the other sites have black friday deals that I should watch out for?

thanks!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hanes For This Useful Post:
Dixon Cider (01-12-2016), Mr. Creosote (10-14-2015), Wacked (10-14-2015)
post #1805 of 1983 (permalink) Old 10-14-2015, 05:28 AM

Thanked 1,954 Times in 1,395 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanes View Post
Thanks for all the info guys, this thread is awesome!
I just spent the last week or so reading ALL 121 pages. So much info, but I learned a lot. Starting to put my detailing list of things to buy and man does this add up quick! I just recently got my first truck which is a 2010 DC 4.6 and I want to keep it looking good for as long as I can. I believe the info from this thread will allow me to do so.
I do have a few questions though, some are just for clarification purposes. I don't recall seeing them addressed, or maybe I just didn't understand:

1) jumbo talks about applying the powerlock sealant then letting it haze then buff off. does that mean use the "drying with water" technique at this point? (hose, leaf blower, blot dry)
2) Some people mention priming pads. do i have to do this before i use any fresh pad? does this mean spraying on a bit of detail spray, or rubbing in some polish on the pad before putting on my dime sized spots?
3) If your trim is painted, do you treat it like the rest of your paint? or do you use trim cleaner?
4) how do you guys access underneath the front door handles to correct/polish? 3" backing plate with 3" pads on a 6" griots? or just do it by hand?
5) how would you apply something like collinites 845 to your wheels?

I got zero detailing experience, but with all this info I'm excited to tackle this.

Oh, one last question: i'm really not in any rush to purchase these supplies as I just got the truck and am kinda low on cash, but does anyone know if detailersdomain, autogeek, or any of the other sites have black friday deals that I should watch out for?

thanks!
Here are answers to your questions.
1. No. It means to let the sealant dry to a haze on its own. This is the same for almost all sealants.
2. Yes. It means adding compound, polish, or sealant to a fresh pad depending on what step you are on.
3. Yes. You treat it like the rest of your paint.
4. I do my handle cups by hand but you could probably use a 3 inch if you had it.
5. Depending on the wheel material, you can apply wax or sealant just like you would to the paint. I have powder coated wheels and seal them with a spray sealant after a good cleaning. The spray just makes it easier to get into the details of the wheels.

There are generally good sales over black friday / cyber Monday as well as discount codes. I find Detailed Image has some great prices and very fare shipping prices. If you sign up for emails and like them in Facebook you will get notifications of all of their sales.

If you are looking to save some coin, take a look at the Harbor Freight DA. It can be had for around 50 bucks on sale and is really a good Polisher. I have had mine for a few years and it is still going strong after lots of cars.
http://m.harborfreight.com/6-in-57-a...not%20provided.

It's alot of work but very rewarding. Have fun with it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2010 Crew Max TRD
OME 612 front
Coachbuilder +2 Coachbuilder shackles rear with OME shocks
Ranch hand front bumper
Hawk LTS Pads at 4 corners with Centric Powerslot rotors
35X12.50x20 Dick Cepek Mud Country Tires
20X9 +30 Dick Cepek Torque Rims
Diamondback Bed Cover
e-bay Pocket Flares
24" LED Light Bar
K&N drop in

Official Tri-State Member #6
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to firerescue4 For This Useful Post:
post #1806 of 1983 (permalink) Old 10-14-2015, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firerescue4 View Post
Here are answers to your questions.
1. No. It means to let the sealant dry to a haze on its own. This is the same for almost all sealants.
2. Yes. It means adding compound, polish, or sealant to a fresh pad depending on what step you are on.
3. Yes. You treat it like the rest of your paint.
4. I do my handle cups by hand but you could probably use a 3 inch if you had it.
5. Depending on the wheel material, you can apply wax or sealant just like you would to the paint. I have powder coated wheels and seal them with a spray sealant after a good cleaning. The spray just makes it easier to get into the details of the wheels.

There are generally good sales over black friday / cyber Monday as well as discount codes. I find Detailed Image has some great prices and very fare shipping prices. If you sign up for emails and like them in Facebook you will get notifications of all of their sales.

If you are looking to save some coin, take a look at the Harbor Freight DA. It can be had for around 50 bucks on sale and is really a good Polisher. I have had mine for a few years and it is still going strong after lots of cars.
6 in. 5.7 Amp Heavy Duty Dual Action Variable Speed Polisher.

It's alot of work but very rewarding. Have fun with it.
Sweet, thanks fire. I guess the "drying with water" refers to when you're washing your vehicle then?
post #1807 of 1983 (permalink) Old 10-14-2015, 11:14 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 2,133 Times in 1,115 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Quote:
Sweet, thanks fire. I guess the "drying with water" refers to when you're washing your vehicle then?
Yes, drying with water is for after the wash. It's a rinsing technique that when the car is properly waxed, will leave you close to 80% dry.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jumbo Jet For This Useful Post:
Dixon Cider (01-12-2016), Mr. Creosote (10-14-2015), Wacked (10-16-2015)
post #1808 of 1983 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo Jet View Post
Yes, drying with water is for after the wash. It's a rinsing technique that when the car is properly waxed, will leave you close to 80% dry.
Cool thanks jumbo. By the way, any new products that are worth trying? I know the menzerna line is pretty much fool proof, but I'm just curious to know if there's anything new since this thread started a few years back. I know there's lots of options like zaino and stuff, someone else was also giving good reviews on the 3D HD poxy line. Anything else?
Dixon Cider (01-12-2016), Mr. Creosote (10-16-2015), Wacked (10-16-2015)
post #1809 of 1983 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 10:19 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Cool thanks jumbo. By the way, any new products that are worth trying? I know the menzerna line is pretty much fool proof, but I'm just curious to know if there's anything new since this thread started a few years back. I know there's lots of options like zaino and stuff, someone else was also giving good reviews on the 3D HD poxy line. Anything else?

Yeah, although not new, I've really been having fun with Sonax 4/6. I use it right after FG 400 instead of SF 4000. Jewels out very nicely and leaves a beautiful, deep finish.

https://www.detailersdomain.com/coll...ish-4-6-250-ml

I have my dad hooked on Sonax Polymer Net Shield as well. He loves it for the durability and ease of application.

https://www.detailersdomain.com/coll...r-net-shield-1

Just a couple of things to try out.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jumbo Jet For This Useful Post:
Mr. Creosote (10-16-2015), Wacked (10-16-2015)
post #1810 of 1983 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 03:32 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Couple questions

I'm wanting a long lasting sealant to apply to my Tundra before winter, but do not have a buffer. What is my best option?

We recently had our streets chip sealed and some of the "mist" from when the sprayed the tar/oil ended up all over my pickup. How do I safely get it off before I use a clay bar on it and then apply a sealant?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ponyexpress For This Useful Post:
Dixon Cider (01-12-2016), Mr. Creosote (10-19-2015), Wacked (10-16-2015)
post #1811 of 1983 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 12:46 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Garage
Went off-roading. Got branch swipes all over the Tundra.
Going to compound and polish the body.
What should I use to remove the very light scratches on the trims(window trims)?

2015 Super White Tundra TRDPro Crewmax
Club TRD Pro #24
2000 Super White Tacoma SR5 Xtra Cab 4x4 5spd
#clubtrdpro
The Following User Says Thank You to Dcsleeper408 For This Useful Post:
Mr. Creosote (10-19-2015)
post #1812 of 1983 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 05:23 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Bueller?
The Following User Says Thank You to Ponyexpress For This Useful Post:
Mr. Creosote (10-26-2015)
post #1813 of 1983 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Although not a Tundra owner yet, I have been reading this thread and am looking into a MGM TRD Pro.

I have pretty good brush marks down the sides of my tuxedo black raptor from running out in the desert... would the FG 400 and then SF 4000 be pretty sufficient in dealing with them and the swirls? Also, do i need the 8oz container?

how many of the medium pads should I use? I am going to order the Griot DA starter kit that comes with the pads (1 each though)

I have some Zaino Z2 and Z5 in the garage, I remember one of them is for fine scratches.. can this be used in place of the 4000?

Finally, I have a 3D detailing store near me... any stuff there I could use rather than ordering online?

Last question, any benefit sealing before I do the zaino polymer polish for the final step?

I am getting my truck all pretty before i take her in for a trade in estimate.

thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to xxxshiftxxx For This Useful Post:
Mr. Creosote (01-12-2016)
post #1814 of 1983 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 09:41 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxshiftxxx View Post
Although not a Tundra owner yet, I have been reading this thread and am looking into a MGM TRD Pro.

I have pretty good brush marks down the sides of my tuxedo black raptor from running out in the desert... would the FG 400 and then SF 4000 be pretty sufficient in dealing with them and the swirls? Also, do i need the 8oz container?

how many of the medium pads should I use? I am going to order the Griot DA starter kit that comes with the pads (1 each though)

I have some Zaino Z2 and Z5 in the garage, I remember one of them is for fine scratches.. can this be used in place of the 4000?

Finally, I have a 3D detailing store near me... any stuff there I could use rather than ordering online?

Last question, any benefit sealing before I do the zaino polymer polish for the final step?

I am getting my truck all pretty before i take her in for a trade in estimate.

thanks

FG 400 is a pretty aggressive compound. Use FG 400 with an orange foam pad with the Griots on 4-5. Leave it on, then switch to a white pad and go right over it with SF 4000....then buff that off with a fluffy microfiber. The smaller bottles will be plenty for you. You can get many cars done out of the smaller bottles.

As a good starting point on pads, I'd get two of each. 2 orange, 2 white and 2 red. That will cover you pretty well.

I think you're slightly confused about the Zaino. Z-2 and Z-5 and final sealants, and not equivelant to SF 4000. The way they label it as a polish confuses a lot of people. Z-2 is a better looking sealant on lighter colors and Z-5 looks better on darker colors. This opinion is subjective, so try both and see which one you like better.

Zaino needs a perfectly clean surface to bond to, so putting Z2/Z5 over another sealant will be a wasted step. After you finish compounding and polishing, do a 50/50 alcohol/water wipe down to prep the surface for Z2/Z5. Apply Zaino with a red finishing pad. Allow it to flash for about an hour then buff clean.

Hope that helps.

Mark
The Following User Says Thank You to Jumbo Jet For This Useful Post:
Mr. Creosote (01-12-2016)
post #1815 of 1983 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 11:01 PM

Thanked 1,739 Times in 1,146 Posts
Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 1081 Post(s)
Garage
Is FG400 now called "Heavy Cut 400"? Having a hard time finding FG400.

Thanks.

Sent from my Atari 2600

Last edited by Jaj23; 01-11-2016 at 11:23 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaj23 For This Useful Post:
Dixon Cider (01-12-2016), Mr. Creosote (01-12-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Detailing Tips and Tricks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in