Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

"Clunk" sound?

6K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  lbbf 
#1 ·
Hey all,

I'm new here and apologize in advance if this topic has been posted many times before. I've had my 19' Tundra a little over 4 months now. The day after I brought it home, I noticed a peculiar "clunk" sound about a couple seconds or within 10 feet from putting the transmission in Drive. I brought this up to my dealers' Service department on each of my 2 service appointments. Each time I was told "It's a Toyota thing" and all Toyotas do it. Funny thing is, this is not my first truck, and I have driven other totyota vehicles in the past, but I don't recall hearing this sound ever before. Service department says its the "brake adjusters". So I have come here to ask, is this true, or is this BS? Replies are much appreciated.

Cheers

#7 ·
My description of the sound Im hearing might need to be better described. It's definitely not the door locks. It sounds more like 2 metallic objects engaging with each other, maybe the rear end or the drive shaft? I was also wondering if the sway bars (my TRD Sport has front and rear sway bars) may be loose? I can't seem to pinpoint the exact location it's coming from. But it definitely occurs after I put it in drive and rolling during the first 5-10 feet. It happens once and I don't hear it again until the next time I get in and drive it. I asked the Service Dept. to check all recalls and service bulletins. Only thing was the from sensor recall that was fixed while there. I may need to record an audio clip and attach it in my next post.

#8 ·
I bought a new 2019 CC Tundra. Everytime I hit about 10 mph right after going into drive, I get the same sound. My daughter always thinks I’m farting into the seat. Haha. My 2012 did the same thing. Not an issue I don’t think. I like the previous post stating some kind of self test. Makes sense to me

#11 ·
One clunk will happen around 14mph. It’s your ABS system check. No worries.

However if you’re like me it happens when you’re below those speeds and you happen to have the steering wheel turned. Especially pulling out of the driveway.

Im a retired aircraft so troubleshooting stuff like this is my specialty. That being said I could not find the problem. My ass was kicked until I ran across a thread here on the forum.

Skid plate flex is the problem. Rubber isolators (bushings) on your mounting bolts should fix the problem.

My 13 4x4 CM started doing this after I added aftermarket skids.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.