Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Tundra Campers Club

214K views 1K replies 205 participants last post by  gossemer75 
#1 · (Edited)
Calling all Campers !!

As I browse around Tundra Talk I see a lot of guys/gals with pics of there Tundra w/camper's... So if you enjoy camping of any kind wether it's tent, trailer, or RV come join us... It's a great place to Trade tips and talk trips both future and past!

All you need is a love for camping....Join the club

- We ask that you put your member number and stamp in your signature to help promote our club.

"Tundra Campers Club"

#1-Gossemer75 / Middleboro, Ma
#2- BigNuge / Seabrook NH
#3- 3TunToy
#4- danorox
#5- Daze823 / Plantation, FL
#6- fig1mc
#7- firerescue4 / Pocono Lake Pa
#8- Gr8shot
#9- schoolcb
#10- MotoPilot25
#11- biebs96
#12- afermedic
#13- Slate Crewmax
#14- J.Kempster / Louisville, KY
#15- Koditten
#16- Taco'sNTundra's
#17- tnjallen
#18- fireftr27 / Muskego, WI
#19- Juju2258
#20- fiveorover / High Point, NC
#21- markbrit
#22- Kpratte
#23- N2deep
#24- Nick13
#25- atl1glf
#26- C4CarpetCare
#27- Verger
#28- jjsav / Hudson Valley, NY
#29-Goliathdog / Delaware
#30- upgrayedd
#31- Wyo700
#32- Bigg Daddy
#33- 33Army
#34- awellis3
#35- Ditchhooker
#36- chd dad
#37- Bry_Guy
#38- MrSelfdizstruct
#39- Canadianboy
#40- Tow-Yoda
#41- tacog
#42- Ruperttug
#43- travbz24
#44- Black toyo
#45- wsw08
#46- whoop90
#47- Bardeenm1
#48- VAXB
#49- axonjaxon77
#50- bel73
#51- Aufevermike
#52- Daka320
#53- Ahanson82520
#54- jayhawkerr
#55- teamtlr
#56-cranstonez
#57-skychief
#58-dannybud14
#59-Tatted
#60-James9829
#61-mhutch30
#62-arsonhntr
#63-swimgreg
#64-choobaker
#65-Vulcan1600
#66-2toys
#67-amo292
#68-kmagee
#69-txbonds
#70-ng0m
#71-salomon
#72-safety77
#73-15 Limited
#74-mjroth33
#75-papasmurf
#76-BigK
#77-dpeach
#78-G Tundra
#79- mitch4ging
#80- TinHut66
#81- Sorinad
#82- tibadoe
#83- mgmt5500
#84- Sabreone
#85- Abel Sneed
#86- jpeterson
#87-Misawagator
#88-Rican Tundra
#89-mcook
#90-Pandundra
#91-swimgreg
#92-spepi
#93-equin
#94-gdhugh
#95-GLOCKAMOLE
#96-benboosted
#97-Duke_26

See less See more
#1,272 ·
My son had a soccer tournament out of town so we found a pretty cool campground. Poche’s Fish-N-Camp. Enjoyed what little time we spent there over the weekend. We will probably go back to let my son do some fishing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Another nice one, thanks for sharing

#1,273 ·
Had a last minute weekend trip to Palmetto Island State Park. My first time there. We had a good time. Most of the spots were very private with woods in between them.

Had my first mishap with the camper this afternoon on the way home. My latch handle bracket for the Andersen hitch caught my bed rail. Messed up the plastic and dented the metal underneath but luckily no exposed metal or paint damage. I’m going to move it to another location to prevent it from happening again.

I have 7 1/4” from the bedrail to the camper. How much room do you other 5er guys have?

#1,275 ·
MrMachinist and any other CrewMax pulling 5th wheelers! I just got my CM a couple weeks ago, I have a travel trailer and would like to go to a 5th wheel down the road but, it said something in the manual that you can’t do a 5th wheel connection. I figured it was something to do with clearance and turning radius. What’s the big deal and what have y’all done to make it work?
Thanks for any input/advice (hopefully I didn’t miss any posts related to 5th wheel)

#1,276 ·
I have a gooseneck hitch in the bed and the Andersen 5th wheel adapter. It moved the camper about 10” back. I can get almost 90 degrees if I need to. Not sure how other campers would do. Mine is made a little different (it tapers toward the front and doesn’t extend over the kingpin). I didn’t want a 5er honestly. I just couldn’t pass up the father in law deal I got on it.

I know others use a slider hitch.

I don’t remember seeing that in the manual. I’ll see what it says today. My build thread has some info as to what I’ve done to the truck and there are a couple 5th wheel threads on here.

#1,277 ·
Man. I’m so sorry to hear that.

I have about four inches of clearance since the truck is lifted, it was about five and a half or so before but i dropped the head on the hitch one bolt hole to help with the fifth wheel being nose high. so I have to be very careful when the camper goes into a tilt if backing into a site. I did lean the camper quite a bit at gulf shores Alabama because we showed up late at night and the DW wasn’t cooperating with me backing in.

(Now on a side note if the hitch is slide to the tailgate it helps when turning tight and the fifth wheel leaning)which I have only done about two or three times.

so I went off the pad quite a bit because of the angle of the site and the camper in front. It caused the underneath of the nose to rest on the rail and I didn’t realize it as I was looking for the darn tree on the opposite side. I turned hard and moved forward causing the bedrail to rub the underneath of the fifth wheel and catch the front cap seal and break it off. Of course the truck was fine but that same plastic protector for the bed rail was like sand paper to the gel coat on the camper. It left a nasty half moon scrape that I had to use some rubbing compound to buff out and reattach the front cap seal with new caulking and new screws.

But so far that was the only issue with the height over the bed rails.

Now for some stupidity I had to replace the tailgate. Simply taking shortcuts.... I had my driveway pressure washed and wanted the guys to get under the camper so I moved it about 100 feet forward and of course the stupid claw on the hitch wasnt spring latching all the way. So I said well I’m only moving it a little.. The driveway is at an incline a bit not much. Long story short the fiver detached from the hitch and fell on the bed and the king pin enjoyed stretching the heck outta the tailgate. Thank god I only had the front jacks up about 5 or 6 inches. But surprisingly the bed rails had no damage but the tailgate lol that looked like a boomerang and unbelievably it never opened as it held all the weight of the fifth wheel rolling back plus it still went up and down lol.

Expensive lesson learned the insurance company said it was a collision, I said how it should be comprehensive, I wasn’t even in the truck driving. It all happened as I was walking back down the driveway to the house when I heard bam!!. I have a zero dollar deductible? So after arguing I took it to the body shop and paid 1800 dollars for a new one and paint with install, i was furious.. I will always latch the part that has a hole to put a padlock through. The newer tundras have embossed words on the bed and the tailgate that causes the cost to be ridiculous.

While my truck was being repaired a brand new f350 DRW truck had the whole aluminum bed smashed like a pancake because his fifth wheel came off at 20 mph. His damage was over 15000. New bed tailgate and bumper. Plus the fifth wheel damaged the whole front nose on impact.

I was so mad I didn’t even take pictures to remind myself!! Lol now my wife always asks did you lock it???

#1,278 ·
Decided to spend the weekend with my older son at the deer lease this weekend. It rained all day Yesterday I was hoping it wouldn’t be too bad getting the camper in the only clearing large enough to fit it. (I have a small 80 acre tract leased, not a large hunting club with a campground)

First time boondocking as well. Not too bad. I’m just paranoid to kill the battery and run out of water.

Got stuck on my initial try. Ha to winch it out. Tried moving it over on higher ground but still couldn’t get it any further off the road. Tires caked up.

Very thankful for my multi mount winch. Hopefully I can get out tomorrow morning without having to winch. Or tearing anything up.

#1,287 ·
*snip*

Very thankful for my multi mount winch. Hopefully I can get out tomorrow morning without having to winch. Or tearing anything up.

Nice rig!

Can you tell us a bit more about your "multi mount winch"--possibly with links and/or pics?

Also, I see you have a front receiver hitch. I'm interested in that both for possibly mounting a (temporary) recovery winch (IF the hitch is strong enough?) and also for putting a light motorcycle carrier up front (dirtbike which would be no more than 200-215lbs.--plus MC carrier weight, of course).

Thanks!

#1,280 ·
No air pump unfortunately. I need to add a quick connect to my air bag compressor and carry an air line. I could adjust my tire pressure with it. Thought about making a bait cannon for surf fishing and using that to charge it with air.

I’ll get out before the rain starts tomorrow.

This will be the last time the camper comes. Here unless it hasn’t rained in weeks. Lesson learned.

#1,283 · (Edited)
I added a steadyfast stabilizer system to the camper. It is a huge improvement on the shaking when setup. It’s very easy to use and a well designed system. The owner of the company is also very helpful and sent out the longer braces on Christmas Eve so I would get them in time for my trip this weekend. If your camper shakes when parked I’d look into them.

Here are some pictures.

One goes lengthwise with the camper and 2 go across.

I got the one with 4 foot plates since I’m anal about everything being even and I like the larger footprint

#1,289 ·
Hello Tundra Family,

If anyone hauling these beautiful campers is in need of a brake upgrade, swing by BuyBrakes.com to check out some of the Truck n Tow options available (https://www.buybrakes.com/stoptech/brake-kits-rotors-and-pads/?filter[attribute][3][19]=19) .

Use coupon code tundratalk10 for additional savings on the site or give us a call and we would be happy to help you over the phone find the right setup for your truck! 888-257-7149

#1,291 ·
Well drove up to Lake Claiborne State Park today. About a 4 hour drive north. Almost into Arkansas. It’s the most hills I’ve done with the camper so far. At speed it takes them fine. I had a couple stop signs at the base of the hill that it had to work to get it going. I was maxed out with the cart, kayaks and bikes loaded up. I also figured out my hitch basket clears the camper for my ice chest. I know it would be better on the back of the camper but I had to have the bikes back there I don’t like them on the front hitch.

So far it’s s nice park but I’m not sure if I’d drive this far just to come here again. We are going to check out a couple other state parks and go to duck commander while we are up this way.

The trailer got a set of Goodyear Emdurance tires, new brakes, and repacked wheel bearings before this trip too.

#1,296 ·
Chucksmith, is your trailer a toy hauler? Must be. How much does the golf cart weigh? Or was it already up at your lease? I have to admit, when I think gooseneck I always think 3/4 ton. Have you ever taken across scales when it is loaded up. Just wondering where you are with weights and limits, etc..
thanks
Jeff

#1,299 ·
Thanks mrmachinist. Sorry for the confusion. I’ve hauled a motorcycle in the bed while pulling our 23’ trailer, and had no issues at all. I’m always looking for a better way to do things. I really wish Toyota would come out with a heavier duty truck with diesel, but I just don’t see it happening. They’ll come out with an electric or hybrid before that.

#1,300 ·
Hello everyone.. With camping season fast approaching ( depending on where your from you may be enjoying it already ) what are ya'll doing to prep for the season during this lock-down?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.