Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Custom center caps for method wheels

33K views 45 replies 23 participants last post by  Bobbyks1 
#1 ·
I want to gauge the interest in some custom center caps for method wheels.

We had a customer at the shop want some caps made for his raptor that fit flush and had the svt logo on them. Now he has some buyers wanting them and other designs as well.

I have a local powdercoat shop here. So that is a possibility as well.

I am not sure how the tundra cap is made but if it is close to the same, I may be able to offer a run or two of these for sale. We are slow at the shop so we are taking different kinds of work.

Let me know if there is any interest out there, and what logo you guys would want.

I'm looking at some software to help make the programming more efficient because right now I'm writing the code by hand.

Here are some pics

I also programmed this logo today

Let me know what y'all think.

See less See more
#10 ·
no coating is easier for me and cheaper for you.

Im a little nervous to have them powder coated any color other than black due to the different colors and finishes available.

Centurion Boat logo?
I have no idea what logo that is, the guy just sent me a picture and I went from there. Took a day and over 600 lines of G-code to program and tweak that bad boy. I haven't done anything like that in a long time, so its a good refresher for me. I'm going to pitch getting my software updated to the owners with a package that will allow me to import a autocad drawing and use that geometry to produce the code. It will make it much faster and easier, just not sure if they want to drop the $4g's on it. And I could use it to speed up programming of our new tools too, so its not just for the engraving. I'll find out Monday.

I'm making these on a mill turn center which is faster in the long run, but a pain in the butt to program stuff like this due to lack of machine travel at centerline....

on a side note, who can get me the dimensions of a center cap for a Tundra? or at least a picture to see how they are made. I don't know anyone locally with methods. Once i see how they are made and the dimensions, I can make a test part and ship it to someone to see how it fits.

Give me some logo ideas too. TRD, TRD PRO, TOYOTA, THE TOYOTA SYMBOL, ETC....

#13 ·
I'm not sure exactly what the customer was charged. I'm going to look into it more on Monday. I did see them for sale on another forum years ago for $200 plus shipping. I'm pretty sure I can get the price lower than that. I will have a good bit of costs involved but I'll check into it. If I can't do it cheap enough, I won't make them.

As far as other wheels are concerned, the problem is I don't have anything to work from. I don't even have a tundra method wheel. The customer left a wheel and center cap to work off of, so I was able to get the fitment just right. If it's a plain cap that is inserted from the back and held in place with a flange and o ring, no problem. If it's the type that snaps in, that's a bigger problem.

#17 ·
I'm not sure exactly what the customer was charged. I'm going to look into it more on Monday. I did see them for sale on another forum years ago for $200 plus shipping. I'm pretty sure I can get the price lower than that. I will have a good bit of costs involved but I'll check into it. If I can't do it cheap enough, I won't make them.
So I looked into this a little while back and there is a guy over on the FordRaptorForum that is still making them. You are correct, he's getting $200 and $20 shipping. He states..
"These caps will fit any method wheels with a bore of 94 mm and rim thickness of 30.5 mm. They will fit snug and be as flush as possible. The caps could be anno'd black red blue or left raw machined to match the machined method wheels. The engraving could be done within reason to whatever you desire."

I'd LOVE to get a set for the Method NVs, black with the TRD logo. I don't even have the wheels yet :lol:

#18 ·
Those center caps are really nice! I'd be interested in these for my Method Standards. I don't have any measurements though.

#19 · (Edited)
Good news, today I was able to upgrade my programming software. I have a couple rush jobs to get out and then I can work on the caps some more. I could use some dimensions or at least some pics.

Also, if the caps pop in from the front and snap on the rock warriors, that's pretty much a no go. At least for now.

#24 ·
I have a set of Method NV wheels that are out getting re-finished right now and I would be interested in a set of cnc custom machined center caps that fit flush with the TRD Pro logo or the Toyota truck "T" logo.

#25 ·
I haven't made any for the tundra. Ive been making a lot for the raptors. Ill add some pics to this post tomorrow morning with some of the designs I have done. I have also made some for a different method wheel that the center cap bolts on from the front and I made my first set for an XD wheel for a customer today, it just changes out the plastic piece that sticks out in the center for a flush aluminum piece.

Ill draw up some logos and post them up to see what people like. Once I get an idea how the tundra ones are made, Ill work on a price for everyone.

#26 ·
Some engraving designs

Here is the old land cruiser logo I can scale it down

I made a nylon test piece for a different style method wheel

Here is what I made for an xd wheel

Here are a couple finished parts the customer sent me

If we proceed with these it will have to be a one time group buy per forum rules.

I'm going to work on some toyota logos when I get some extra time and post them up. But without a sample cap for me to go off of, this is dead in the water.

#27 ·
That's awesome! The punisher logo is sick! Would you be able to make them not flush? The center caps on the method grid wheels stick out quite a bit. Maybe 3 inches. Would you be able to either modify the originals or make new center caps that stick out maybe 1.5". Similar to the fuel or XD style caps.

#28 ·
I can make them longer but without a lot of extra mill work to fancy them up, it will look funny. The cost will go up as well (more material and time). The raptor guys like them flush because they break them when running tails I am told.

I need to see how the tundra ones are made before I say what I can or can't do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.