Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

TPMS Question/Clarification for a Newbie Please.

3K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  e30cabrio 
#1 ·
OK, so i have searched Google for the answer to my question and have gotten mixed answers.

I am looking for the correct answer.

I have Stock 18" Steel wheels on my Tundra Currently. Pictured Below

I bought a set of 20" Limited wheels that i would like to put on my Truck. Pictured Below

I have read that there are 2x Types of TPMS sensors, 20* and 40*.

Will the TPMS sensors in my Steel wheels fit the limited wheels??

If not, Which TPMS sensors do i need for the limited wheels?

Thanks for any help!

See less See more
#7 ·
I got a set off of amazon. They were real cheap but the seller realized their error and the price went up. But still cheap. You will need to order a techstream program to get them into your computer. Or have a dealer or tire shop do it for you. Write down all the new serial numbers before they get installed so they don't need a tool to read the codes from inside the tire.
When you order new sensors, make sure they either come with service kits or you order them also. My cheap price ones did not have them. Glad I ordered them. Doesn't hurt to have extra as they should be used whenever you put on new tires unless it's only been a year or 2.
When you have your truck programmed, write down the serial numbers of your steel wheel sensors before they get erased. There new owner or if you put snow tires on them will appreciate it.

#8 ·
#13 · (Edited)
I have 2016 Tundra SR5 with stock tires (see picture)

Now I found TRD pro wheels with Michelin tires along with sensors ready just to swap them with my wheels.

My question is if I buy these TRD Pro wheels would I have problems with system on the truck?
I would sell my old wheels with original sensors and do I need keep sensors even I getting trd pro wheels, tires with sensors?

This is the wheels I'm about to buy

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

#14 ·
If you are getting the wheels from another Tundra owner who has not reprogrammed his computer you can swap the computers and you will be fine with the new wheels and sensors. It is easy to do.
If you get a buyer for yours, you could maybe do a 3 way. Which will be fun for 3 of 2 and not so much for the third.
What is the pro guy doing for tpms?

#16 ·
So you will have to take the wheels to a tire shop and have the tires read and programmed in. You don't have the codes so you won't be able to techstream it yourself.
If you wait until after you sell yours, you could at least save your buyer the hassle, maybe make the sell easier.

#17 ·
Any tire shop should be able to do it correct?
Would existing my tires create problems if they take them off and put in bed of the truck while they program this new trd pro wheels?

Also would they be able to keep spare tire with sensor on computer

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

#18 ·
Not every shop has proper equipment and skill. Call and ask. The tire reader has to be next to the tire to work so not likely to misread. If you have the programmer person read the existing computer, and prints them out and gives to you you could give it to your sensor buyer.
Other option is to have the tire shop swap the sensors but you will need 4 service kits.

#20 ·
Just had my local Toyota dealer program new TPMS sensors for $55 yesterday.

I didn't realize Tire Rack had shipped my wheels and KO2s pumped up to their max of 65psi. The dealership told me that the sensors were only rated to 50 psi. Did a brief search here and found people here running 40-50 so I dropped mine down to 50 psi. We'll see how that feels. The ride was significantly different from stock. :lol:

#21 ·
I have a 2010 SR5 with stock 18" wheels like these (sorry I stole your picture, it was the easiest way to get the wheel I have into the post)

I bought another on CL to have 5 same wheels & tires and am hoping to get its TPMS monitor into my system. I have a cable & tech stream can I add the 5th wheel?

Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.