Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Michelin ATX2 and SNOW

1K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  wildbill23c 
#1 ·
I've recently purchased the 2016 Tundra TRD with the ATX2s. They seem fine for my purposes with one question: how are they traveling in snow. I'm asking specifically for those who've used them, pros cons likes dislikes. I'm sure a set of BFG or TOYO muds would be more appealing (I've had both) but I'd rather not dump 1600 if these will do. Some say these are fine. Others say no, but I'm not clear what kind of conditions they aren't comfortable in. I sometimes drive up I50 or I80 over the Sierras and hang out in Tahoe and Reno areas. I've seen 4x4s slide off the road many times (whoa!) as I drive past with mud tires. THANKS!

#2 ·
I didn't drive through a lot of snow this winter, but drive on ice quite frequently and the tires did pretty well. If I was you, head over to tirerack.com and check the reviews, although Discount Tire seems to have the best price. Yes, I would rather have KO2's, but for now these tires have to suffice.

#4 ·
Best tire in the snow I've had yet so far. Never used 4 wheel with them on.

#6 ·
I didn't get to drive mine on much snow this past season either, but they seem to grip well because of the ability to shed snow from between the treads. The same applies to the MS2's on the wife's 4Runner.

Reactions: Dixon Cider
#9 ·
They came on my truck. So I had them for the biggest snow storm i've ever seen in my life here in VA last year. I have to say the AT2s are by far the best tire I've used in the snow. I was truly impressed.

However, they are terrible in any sort of sort wet grass/mud/clay - for me they performed so poorly on these kinds of surfaces I view them more as a snow tire. IDK if they really are snowflake rate tire.

Reactions: Dixon Cider
#10 ·
When you are driving in snow/ice you want a softer compound tire, also, if you are running a 6ply+ tire expect them to not handle well until they warm up, the BFG TA KO's I had were great except in snow/ice until after you had driven 30+ miles for them to warm up LOL...they did great once they were warm enough to grip but otherwise they weren't the greatest...the stock Michelin all season tires that came with the truck actually did better in snow/ice but they were only 4ply tires too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.