Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Tire Problems

995 views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  txtundra15 
#1 ·
I did a 3/1 level kit on my 2014 and tried to mount 305/65/18 and they would not fit on the PRO COMP Rims I have? Rubbed real bad, even went down to a 275/70/18 which rubbed a little.

I think the rims have an 18" offset so it has me baffled as to why they would rub so bad. I had this same setup on my 2012 with now issues.

Any suggestions? Could my lift be to far forward or do I need a different offset on the rims?

Maybe spacers but I really do not like that idea.

#2 ·
What is the offset of your wheel? You said 18", but I'm not sure if you're referring to the diameter or offset. Offset plays about the biggest role in getting tires to fit on these trucks. But with a 3 inch spacer in front there is no reason they shouldn't fit. There a re more than a few guys running +18mm offset with 295s on here.

Where is it rubbing? This will also help diagnose your issue. If it's hitting the body mount, I'd suspect your offset is more like 0. If it's just rubbing the skid plate a bit, that's rather normal, and easily fixed. In any event spacers will more than likely make it worse, so you're safe there.

#3 ·
The rubbing is on the front of the fender well, I even took off the front mud flaps.

I thought the rims had a +18 offset but plan to measure that tonight and make sure.

The wheels did stick out the side of the truck a little, here is a pic with the 275's. They even rub a little in reverse.

The tire shop is letting me run these for 500 miles to let me decide if I want to keep these. I would rather go with the 305's if I can figure this out in time.

Attachments

#4 ·
I can't see the wheels very well so I couldn't match the wheel (one that looks similar to yours (on Pro Comp site) has 0 offset).

But looking at your wheels side by side to mine (18x9 with 18 mm offset), it seems that yours has lower offset than mine. :dunno: See how yours look deeper than mine?

Attachments

#6 ·
No. Spacers (wheel spacers, I assume) will make the rubbing problems worse. The sweet spot is around 35 mm offset. If yours is 0 offset, the maximum tire diameter you could install without doing some serious cutting is around 33 inches.

#7 ·
If those are the 275 on there it does look like it sticks out further than what a +18 offset would. Putting spacers on would just put them out further, if you can I would look for a wheel with a +25 to a +35 or close to those numbers, if the tire shop will allow you to swap. Most guys can fit a 275/70/18 on stock tundras with no issues at all. Decreasing offset or pushing the tire out more will increase chances of rubbing so you need an appropriate lift to help avoid those issues of some mods to help fix them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.