Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

BFG KO2 or Goodyear Duratracs

47K views 75 replies 27 participants last post by  chipcole 
#1 ·
I am stuck between the 2. Any thoughts?

BFG KO2 in 285/65 on stock Platinum wheel

Goodyear Duratrac in 285/60 on stock Platinum wheel

If the Duratrac was a 285/65 I would not be second guessing myself.
I have the option of going 275/65 in either tire as well.

#2 ·
Neither. Cooper ST. MAXX's ;-) Tire Alloy wheel Automotive tire Wheel Rim

Just kidding. I like the look of the BFG's more and I also had a bad experience with Good Year. I do know a member that runs the good years and he loves them though.

Reactions: John Galt
#3 ·
Just went through this same debate just recently when deciding which tires to upgrade to on my truck. The Duratrac is a solid choice and had very good reviews from all the searching that I did. The new KO2 is pretty new still so there are not a ton of reviews out there on it just yet but everything I read on it sounded very good/promising for the new update from BFG. I ended up going with the BFG in the end, the BFGs have always treated me well and I wanted to try out the updated KO2. The update may not look much different on the outside but when side by side with the old KO you can see the differences and internally there have been updates to address the complaints of the KO. I have never run the Duratracs but what kept me from getting them is that I read as they wear they become noisier, can wear quickly, and have a softer sidewall. Now this is what I gathered from my research and Im sure others that have run the Duratracs will chime in, I am just stating my reason for my choice, but by no means am I saying the duratracs are no good. Either way both are good tires and I can't imagine that either decision would disappoint. I should say that I have not used the BFGs either since I am switching wheels out and they ones I want are on backorder for a few more weeks, going on my platinum but wanted 18s instead of 20s. Hope that helps some

#4 ·
Thanks guys I appreciate the input.

I ran BFG KM2's on my jeep and loved them but the only size they make
for my tundra is 305/55/20 at $516 a tire. I am not doing that.

I like the looks of the new KO2 but think the extra tread of the duratrac will
be more beneficial in the woods hunting. I used my jeep offroad. We would
go to parks for rock crawling, trail riding, hill climbing etc so I needed the maximum
traction. I know I don't need that now but it is hard telling myself that since
I have been playing with the jeep for 8 years now.

#6 ·
I think the new KO2's look awesome I'm def considering them when it comes time to upgrade the tires!

#7 ·
I just bought a set of 275/70/18 KO2s... today. They just came out in this size.

I have ran BFG ATs for over 20 years and really liked them other than their performance in NM clay/mud.

However, I was tempted to try many of the new offerings and took a long look at getting the Duratracs. Two things made me go with the KO2:

1. Duratracs are only 2-ply
2. Duratrac tread sipes are shallow--so when the tire gets worn, there are no sipes.

#8 ·
Pics of the new tires????

#9 ·
The regular bfg ats suck in the mud and wet grass/fields where i hunt. They were decent in the snow. Now the duratracs are great in the mud and awesome in the snow. We had a foot last week and I drove around almost entirely in 2 whee drive which I could never do with the Bfgs I had bfgs for 10 plus years and they wore great. I do lIke the AT2s it's about time they added something to the sidewall but after a long debate I chose the duratracs and haven't thought twice after a year of hunting season and the winter. They are ask surprisingly quiet

#11 ·
They are both good tires. Between these two, if I could find the size I want, I would go with BFG. The reviews I read on the new AT KO2 have been exceptionally good. They apparently really improved on the weak points of the original KO which was a solid tire to begin with (mud performance, sidewall, throwing pebbles, etc.). But then again, the winter traction of DuraTrac seems to be awesome.

Reactions: doc307
#12 ·
I picked up the KO2 over the Duratrac because of all the reports that when the Duratrac gets to about half tread, they are not doing well. They seem to loose a lot of traction on wet roads at half tread. I am running the stock size on mine and could not be happier. As you can see from my snow pics, they are a beast on road and off road when its nasty out.

I had some problems with high water standing on the road due to snow melting and the drains were blocked from snow plows pushing show over them. I hit one hole on the interstate and I know for a fact if I still would have had my stock tires, I would have wrecked from hydroplaning.

Attachments

#13 ·
Since I am in south Georgia I don't have to really worry about the snow. I do have to worry
about wet roads though.

I came into this leaning towards the duratrac and now between this and some facebook
friends I am leaning more towards the BFGs.

#14 · (Edited)
Traction and road performance are going to be fine with either tire.
Personally, I like the new sidewall of the KO2's. And they are boasting a 15% longer
treadlife than the previous KO molds, I think the choice would be obvious.

Plus, I think size is the kicker, and I know you would be happier with the extra 1" in height.

You talked me out of the Duratrac's 7yrs ago... now its my turn.

>:D

#21 · (Edited)
I just got a set of 285/65/20 KO2's on my 2015 Tundra
thanks, I actually saw your thread last night. Your truck looks really
good and I think I am probably getting BFGs. I have to find a lift now.

Is the picture above without the shackles in the rear?

#22 · (Edited)
I just put the KO2's on my Platinum CM with a 3" spacer up front and nothing in the rear....I know most guys aren't a fan of the raked back look but hey, it's a cultural thing here in SoCal I guess. These are the same size as Regulator's but on a silver sky colored truck. Kinda gives you the idea on your new Platinum. I had duratracs on my 4 runner but i prefer the BFG. Duratracs were much softer/squishier in my opinion due to tire compound and sidewall ply. And after the tires wore the siping was non existent. I like the look of the BFG, always have, it has a more square edge than the Duratrac and has the appearance of being wider than they are. There are plenty of nice tires out nowadays but between the two there no argument.....BFG all day.

Last Photo is with the stock tires.

Truck looks good Regulator29!

Attachments

#24 ·
I just put the KO2's on my Platinum CM with a 3" spacer up front. Looks fantastic in my opinion. I had duratracs on my 4 runner but i prefer the BFG. It has a more square edge rather than rounded back towards the wheel well and has the appearance of being wider than they are....
What size BFGs are these?

#23 · (Edited)
No shackles on posted pictures, CB +2 go on Friday when I get back from business trip along with Poly bushing, TRD swaybar and AMP Research steps.

Ride height measured from center of hub to bottom of wheel well lip
----- Stock ------------ ICON VS 3.5 (front and rear)
Front 22" -------------- 24"
Rear 24.5" ------------- 24.5"

Expect that the CB +2 will bring the rear up to 25.75"
Have A.R.E. Z Series cap on order which will drop rear ~0.25"

Reactions: wakefisher
#27 ·
They give you about an additional inch in height like someone mentioned before. Fills the wheel well nicely with a 3" spacer up front. About the biggest you can go with these rims. Not sure what the backspacing is on those new platinum 20's but I'd guess it's the same...

#30 ·
There's a machine shop in Southern Cal and their spacer kits are made from a solid block of billet aluminum. Bought them off of eBay. Company was called Supreme Suspensions. They do it all. Best of all a 3" spacer for the front our trucks with all hardware is only $70 and free shipping!!!!!!! Beat that! I looked at Rough Country, Tough Country, Country Country etc and all the other spacer lifts out there and could not find a better value. For front 3" and back 1" kit they only wanted $140 I think! Supreme Suspensions, ebay, check em out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.