Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

17" TRD Forged alloy wheels gun metal gray

9K views 32 replies 14 participants last post by  osidepunker 
#1 · (Edited)
I am seriously considering replacing my stock CM Platinum wheels with a set of the 17" TRD alloys and 285/70/17 Nitto grapplers.
My dealer has made an attractive offer -buying my Platinum wheels and tires reducing the cost of the TRD alloy package.

Anyone own and running a set of these wheels please provide some feedback.

Any issues that would prevent you from buying again?

How does the finish hold up on these wheels?

Only looking for Pro and Cons (feedback) from owners presently running these wheels.

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
these are performance wheels. Looks and finish should be secondary considerations. The rim protector is aluminum and scratches easily. The center cap finish does not weather well.

But they are forged aluminum, super strong. In fact, they are the strongest and lightest wheel you can get for the tundra. 4 lbs lighter than a Method Standard and just as strong if not stronger.

#4 · (Edited)
Yes, you are correct they are performance wheels.

Do you own/run these wheels? If so would you buy again? It appears you do by the pic in your post.

I know they are forged and the lightest forged wheel for the Tundra. And I have done the weight comparison.

Thanks!

#8 ·
Jason, appreciate your reply, when you say clean do you mean polishing the aluminum ring? Does the outer ring have clear coat or will it oxidize as aluminum does sometimes. Any photos of the set your running?

Thanks!

#11 ·
Blue locktite will get you set. I had them on my truck from the factory. I liked them a lot but they were a bit of a pain in the ass to clean, especially in the winter time with all of the crap the DOT puts on the roadways. For me a lot of dirt built up underneath the rings and would leave water marks when I washed them. But they are pretty easy to take off and clean every few months or whatever... may not be an issue for you if you dont see a lot of rain. me on the other hand, i live under a faucet in the PNW.

#14 ·
I've got the forged TRD alloys. I have powderdcoated them black along with the rings. I'm running 295/70 r 17. This wheel gives me a tire with adequate sidewall for off-roading. Love the wheels. They are the bomb...

Blue Loctite is the ticket...replacing one of these is going to take about an act of congress to find and replace...

Regards,

BWJ

Reactions: osidepunker
#15 ·
I've got the forged TRD alloys. I have powderdcoated them black along with the rings. I'm running 295/70 r 17. This wheel gives me a tire with adequate sidewall for off-roading. Love the wheels. They are the bomb...

Blue Loctite is the ticket...replacing one of these is going to take about an act of congress to find and replace...

Regards,

BWJ
So you are saying a retarded monkey with no hands could do it? >:D

Reactions: Ben_iv
#16 ·
Just a little info:

Check craigslist or this websites market forum, these rims usually go for great prices used. And a lot of people change out rims soon after buying their trucks, so a lot of them are hardly used. I would look into it. You'd be looking at something like $600-1100 instead of $3000 - 3400 for the set.

Just advice, take it or leave it :)

#19 ·
I have had mine for a couple years now, I am selling them though. I liked the tire size choices better since they are 17's and the over all look and durability. I did not like a few things though: hard to clean, dirt builds up behind bead locks, water marks on bead lock so I powder coated mine with a hammered black finish, the paint on the wheels scratches pretty easily, and water sits between the bead lock and the wheel itself and there is no way for that to drain. Other than that, I liked them very much, but its just time for me to move on, so that's why I am selling them.

Link to CL ad: Toyota Tundra TRD Rock Warrior Wheels and Tires

Attachments

#22 ·
I've got 10 of these wheels and like Oside has said, they're the bomb. Have 6 that are set up with my 317/70/17's. The other four are my daily drivers with the factory 285/70/17's.

I cerakoted mine black on black for the street set and black with white ring and red bolts for the off-road set.

Reactions: osidepunker
#25 ·
One other thing not mentioned and that your dealer should already know but your current lug nuts will not work with the rw wheels.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#26 ·
I'm not a huge fan of the rw wheels. I think I'm going to run them this winter and switch it up. From a looks standpoint I can't stand how small 17's look. I did have the beadlock powder coated to hold me over, death to that chrome! Oh and when the water stays on the beadlock after a wash, if you forget about it it covers the side of your clean truck...

Attachments

#27 ·
Apologize for the sideways pic. The other things I forgot to mention are how the clear coat on the center caps doesn't last and the god awful clicking problem that these wheels are plagued with. If you drive with your windows up 100% of the time its not an issue. Other than that they are nice wheels, just not my style.

#28 · (Edited)
…did I understand correctly, the rings on the RW wheels are easy to remove and out back on? I want to get my rings powder coated black but wasnt sure if they come off easily or are even designed to be removed.

#29 ·
…did I understand correctly, the rings on the RW wheels is easy to remove and out back on? I want to get my rings powder coated black but wasnt sure if they come off easily or are even designed to be removed.
Yes the come off. Simply remove the bolts going around the ring

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#31 ·
I love my RW wheels! If it wasn't for a great offer on 35's with chrome MotoMetal 951s included I would have put the 35s on these wheels and not have these for sale (set of five) btw ;). Super strong, highly scratch resistant, and obviously attractive! Go super nice on a Magnetic Grey Metallic Crewmax if I may say so myself, lol You will not be disappointed, but FYI, please purchase the slim lug and offer it whenever you get a rotation, the regular lug nut will not remove so easily and may damage the lug hole. (horrible past experience with my Toyota dealer)

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.