Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

NEW BFG T/A KO2's....

84K views 128 replies 47 participants last post by  Atomic City Tundra 
#1 ·
#4 ·
It is more open at least

#5 ·
So it looks like a good choice between the new Nitto TerraGrapplers G2 and these KO2's.....decisions decisions....

#6 ·
I like the look of the new sidewall a lot better. This is a great looking tire. Performance of BFG AT KO is very solid, so if it gives the same level of performance as before, that will keep the customers happy. I would definitely seriously consider this one.

#7 ·
I agree that if the new version is at least as good as the previous, it should be a great tire.

I ran T/A KOs on my last truck and was very happy with them. I will likely get these when it's time.

#8 ·
In my experience, the AT's don't hold up to serious off-road as well as the Mud-terrains do. I've had about 3-4 flats with BFG AT's, and zero flats with the mud-terrains. I will most likely be getting these for my second gen Tundra because it will only see mild off-road, and is my daily driver. I saw a video on the KO2's and the extra tread on the sidewalls help resist sidewall punctures. My first gen Tundra prerunner usually runs KM2 Mud-terrains or BFG project bajas (depending what I can get my hands on at the time).

#9 ·
Ive seen a few test shots floating around the web of bfgs 'newest' tread patterns and to me they all look like they have a computer program that just mashes together different sidewall/tread patterns from their previous tire lineup. That sidewall isnt really new and neither is the tread. They improved the sidewall construction, inside the rubber, at least. But idk, seems like a weak effort. Corporate just decided to take two of their better selling designs and put them together instead of making a whole new thing.

#12 ·
Whoa, you got to run a tire that isn't even out yet....

On two different trucks even.

#15 ·
Remember first there was the TA, then the TA KO, now the KO2...
The first ta's wore horribly. The KO wear was greatly improved, so I feel these would be more improved.

Reactions: osidepunker
#16 ·
Loved my KOs on an XJ back in the day. Almost looking forward to having to replace my tires to get to decide between KO2, Duratrac, and Exo Grappler.

derp

#17 ·
The only problem I have with my KOs is that they chunk when you really pound on them. Traction is badazz though on all kinds of surfaces and they air down very well. If they improved the compound so they are a little tougher, then they have a winner.

My next set will be KM2s though...
All tires chunk doing what we do on the terrain we travel on!
I've seen a lot of different brands of tires both MT and AT tires chunk. I love the KM2 too. But my problem with them is when they start to chunk you get huge voids of empty space on the tire since the tire tread is already really open. I'll try to get some pics of the KM2 all chunked up.

#21 ·
BFG claims less chunking with the new KOs so we'll see

Show me those KM2s @Scooby , if those are gonna chunk on me, then idk what tires im gonna go with
I think I might get a set if Toyo MTs next. Dragos ran those on DV and BB and has no chunking if I remember right. And BJ runs them on his trophy truck and they last him about half a race. So they should last me a couple years. Lol

#24 ·
Rode around in my buddys '14 tundra yesterday. He had procomp 35" mud tires (I think they're mud) on 20's. Wow they were loud. We hummed all over town. when slowing to a stoplight you could actually feel each lug make contact as we approached 0 mph

Ive never owned muds, but yesterday reminded me why I went with ATs in the first place.

Maybe KM2 is overkill for me, the ATKO2 are starting to look more and more attractive to me...

#25 ·
Found a great article that breaks down the new technology in better detail, Braving Baja Testing the New BFGoodrich All-Terrain T A KO2: Off-Road.com

"Tread-wear life is another key area for the KO2, as BFG looked to improve upon the KO’s lifespan. Aided by a specially formulated tread rubber designed to reduce chipping and tearing of the tire, BFGoodrich was able to improve tread wear by two times on gravel (they went as far as saying two times is a conservative estimate – they believe it’s more than that). For those who still plan to spend a lot of time on the asphalt, BFG says there’s a 15 percent improvement in road tread wear on the KO2. To aid in the prevention of stone drilling, or burrowing of rocks that get caught in the tread, stone ejectors were incorporated between the treads as well. Although it bears some resemblance to its predecessor, the KO2’s tread design is updated considerably, with one of the biggest changes being an increase in tread block stability by using a more pronounced interlocking tread design to resist irregular wear."

Thats the final piece of the puzzle for me. The only reason I was considering switching tires is because mine are getting chunked. Other than that, they have never let me down. Looks like BFG improved in this area

#26 ·
As for rotational mass, my summer setup is 107lbs per corner, heavy as shit. You can definitely tell a difference in handling.
I think my stock setup was about 72lbs.

#27 ·
I have KOs on a Landcruiser and had KM2s on my Tacoma. I all but destroyed the KM2s after one trip out in the desert north of Las Vegas. Sad thing is I didnt do anything crazy either just off the beaten path to a hidden campsite. Swapped to Duratracs shortly after. I woud never do the KM2 again, I will stick to either BFG KOs, Goodyear or Toyo in the future.

#28 · (Edited)
Save money and try the Cooper AT/3. Not as glamorous a racing history - if any, but hands down a better tire imo than the tired KO (which is running on name only these days imo)

AK/3 - AK/3 - AK/3!

It's early in the morning and I'm bored lol...

#30 ·
These just don't do anything for me. The KO's did a dismal job in shallow mud and I don't see these doing much better. The toyo at 2s look like they have a better bite. Or better yet jump on them R/T's. A couple of pounds doesn't make a real huge difference unless you have a trophy truck

#32 ·
almost 7 lbs difference...

The toyo RTs are in second place for me. A good comparison with actual testing might sway me one way or the other. If no comparison by winter, Im going with the ATKO2 cuz I know how good the ATKOs are and improvements like these are exactly what I was looking for

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.