Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

"Quietest" A/T tires

18K views 44 replies 25 participants last post by  Breathing Borla 
#1 ·
Time for some new tires for the truck. I leaning towards an A/T but I'm concerned about noise on the highway. I'll never go off-road and live on the coast in South Carolina so snow and ice are really not factors. I'm considering the Nitto Terra Grapplers and Cooper AT-3's. Any feed back on these or any other recommendations? Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
Nitto Terra Grapplers are pretty quiet....my Nissan Xterra has a set on them and I love them. Hardly any noise on the freeway. Thinking of changing the tundra over to it once my MTR wears off.

#10 ·
volleyball is right. An AT will create more rolling resistance and noise compared to an all-season or highway tread. Michelin LTX is a quiet tire that performs great on wet roads, plus offers great MPG. That's all I run on our other rig.

#18 ·
All Ats should be pretty close, its when they wear down to 50% or below they get louder in my experience.

#19 ·
sounds like you don't even need an AT tire.

I would go with a Michelian LTX MS2 if I were you, if you don't tow or haul or go -off-road you could probably go with a P-metric tire as well and have a little better ride

#20 ·
Normally I would agree 100% with this recommendation but not after my recent experience with them. We had MS2's on past vehicles and they were fantastic and they had a very long wear cycle. I think my wife's set on her Highlander had 60K miles on them when we traded it and there was still good tread left.

I bought a set for my Tundra after having such good luck - first set lasted 34,000 miles and I was at the wear bars! They were rotated every 5000 miles as well (it was free). Also had an alignment done and it was spot on.

That set was replaced for free 4 months ago with a new set of MS2. After 4 months of use there is actual, measurable wear on the tires. I dont see this set lasting any longer than that first set.

What was eye opening is that I just met a guy that works at Michelin corp and he has MS2's on his SUV. He said they never wear well on heavier vehicles and he wishes they would stop marketing and selling them for heavier vehicles. He told me especially if you tow with them they will wear very quickly. He only has them because they are free for testing purposes. He loves the actual tire for grip, ride, handling but said they should never have put a high wear rating and warranty on them.

I agree they ride well and have excellent grip but they sure dont last.

Reactions: RitcheyRch
#25 ·
I have 315/70 BFG A/T's and they are incredibly quiet. Had them on my previous SUV, too. They also last a LONG time.

#26 ·
I have BFG at KO on my truck right now too and they are really quiet and smooth:)

285/75/17 load d

#27 ·
Hey guys, need new tires:

Priorities in order:
1. as quiet as can be
2. 35x12.5x17
3. all highway

It looks like my options are:

A. Toyo Open Country A/T II | $259
B. Falken Wildpeak A/T | $247
C. BFG All Terran T/A K02 | $279

Here's to another great year for all of us, cheers! :beerchug:

:machinegunner:

#29 ·
Thanks! After doing a little more reading online, I'm now leaning towards the KO2 and hoping Discount Tire can match or beat Tire Rack's price. :D

#30 ·
They always do!

#31 · (Edited)
Michelin LTX AT2

#36 ·
That will change.

Reactions: jeremyd
#43 ·
So after a week of driving with the BFG KO2 in the fronts, there's a noticeable difference in road noise. Prior to the KO2, I had my music turned up to 30 on my head unit. With the KO2, I find myself staying at 23.

#45 ·
my Cooper AT3 XLT a are still really good FWIW

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.