Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Which tire should I run?

3K views 28 replies 12 participants last post by  Blackyotasport3 
#1 ·
Hello everyone. It's time for some new rubber. I can't decide between (33s) 275/60/20 Toyo Open Country ATs or (34s) 275/65/20 BF Goodrich AT KOs. Tires will be mounted on stock limited wheels.

So far I know the Toyos are close to stock weight around 43lbs per tire. The BFGs are around 62lbs per tire. I really like the tread pattern on the BFGs KOs.

Wild card: I can also get 275/65/20 Toyo ATs as well. They are 57lbs per tire.

Truck is currently stock. I plan on adding a 2 inch level to the front. Thanks for looking.

#6 ·
Sorry I didn't mention my truck is 2wd. If it makes a difference or not, I use my truck to take family trips almost every month plus I tow an enclosed trailer about 4,000+lbs 5x per year on at least 400+ miles round trip.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I saw the Toyos come with a warranty where as I didn't see a warranty listed for the BFGs.

Since I do quite a bit of traveling in my truck, is there a big difference in power loss and mpg between the 275/60 and 275/65?

Thanks.

#3 ·
If you are going with just the 2" kit up front, I'd stick with the 33's. If you want the 34's, I'd go with a 3/1 kit for 3" up front and 1" in the back. To me, the 34's look too crowded with just a 2" kit up front.

Reactions: ilyk2ski
#4 ·
I'd pick round ones

#9 ·
So should I go with 275/65 or 275/60? So far the consensus says go Toyos. I've heard great things about them. I just wish they had a more aggressive tread pattern. Don't want to go 285/55 or 305/55 just to get the extreme Toyos.

Thanks guys.

Anyone running Toyos 275/60 or 65s?

#16 ·

Toyo 275/65r-20 on mine. They ride nice and quiet. A friend that worked at a large tire shop recommended them and runs them himself. I have used both BFG and Toyos in the past on other rigs.

#10 ·
I've heard good things about the Toyos especially their MT but don't have any first hand experience with them. However, this is my 2nd Tundra in a row and both have had BFG AT and I love them.

I've done quite a bit of driving through the mud and they do pretty good actually just not quite as good as BFG MT. I've been through mud almost a foot deep with these ATs and haven't gotten stuck but then again I have a 4x4

#11 ·
I have roughly 35k on my Toyo AT2 285/55/20 extremes and they show little wear and have plenty of tread to go! They are the most aggressive tires I've owned, and they have been great. Very quiet at 80 mph, durable, and look good. I did take a 1 mpg hit when I replaced my OEM BBS wheels and nitto street tires but it was worth it.

I cant answer your question on 275/60 vs 275/65 but would be interested to hear your opinion once you get a set of either. I wouldnt mind having a slightly taller tire, so I'd lean towards 275/65. Too bad they dont come in the extreme version.

#12 ·
I actually am looking at the Toyo's in 275/60r20 as well. I currently have 35's and love them, but just moved and I'm now driving 50+ miles a day just to work and back. Figured i will downsize and try to gain back a couple mpg's. I have heard nothing but positive feedback from the toyo's so far

Reactions: Bayou_Tundra
#13 ·
I know I'm all over the place after this post but now I'm trying to decide between 275/60/20 or 285/55/20 both in Toyo Open Country ATs. The 285/55 have the extreme tread pattern. I don't believe the 275/60 come in extreme. The best prices I've found have been from treaddepot.com.

I never thought picking out tires would be so hard.

#20 · (Edited)
Hey I'm ready to pull the trigger on the Toyo 275/65/20 (34s) ATs. Can I get away with a 2 inch level or should I go 2.5 inch level? Also if I go 2.5 inch level will it look weird being a half inch higher in the front than the rear? Again my truck is 2wd and I have the limited stock 20s.

Thanks

#22 ·
Pics when you get a chance! :yesnod:

Reactions: Bayou_Tundra
#23 ·
Sorry. Truck is dirty. Here are pics with NO level or lift. Toyos 275/65/20 ATs.

Edit: I will post pics once I get it leveled. Just going with a 2 inch level.

Attachments

#25 ·
The last pic is the left wheel fully turned right. Barely enough clearance. No rub in forward or reverse. No skid plate. Tires ride smooth and quiet. GPS verified odometer is .6 mile off on 2 8 mile trips I took. Also I used an speedometer app and my speedometer is 1-2mph off. Other than that, I'm loving it.

Edit: leveled 2 inches.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.