Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

TRD PRO or SR5 TRD ?

14K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Devi8 
#1 ·
Ok so I know the TRD PRO is the JAM but I'm hoping some of you enthusiasts who really know the suspension and everything could help me out here... I'm looking to replace my 2001 Tundra with a new one here soon. I would be putting a topper over the bed and building up a sleeping platform in the bed, along with routinely caring multiple bicycles off the hitch or on the roof of the topper while towing a light rafting trailer.

SO... the dealer said I'd be better off going with the SR5 TRD (or similar) rather than the PRO because of the weight I'll be carrying around routinely... Thoughts? Would the PRO sit ass heavy with a topper and a few hundred pounds of other camping stuff in the bed without suspension work / lift in the rear?

Mostly highway driving but with the occasional sweet Colorado mining road/pass and such...

#3 ·
Hahhaa yea that cement color looks awesome!

There's a lot of good info on this forum, I just haven't been able to find if putting a camper shell/topper on the new PRO messes with its stance... from a couple pictures it looks like the suspension handles the weight alright in the rear. Also from what I can tell putting a topper on the SR5 might be better because the rear sits a little higher (stock) than the PRO...

Can anyone attest to the stock off road capabilities of the SR5 TRD vs the PRO?

Either way I'm going with a doublecab...

#4 ·
Read this thread down a few threads..."275/70/18 Tire Photos on stock TRD Pro"

There are shackles and stuff out there to combat the slight sag that develops on the Pro from rear loading.
I have a Pro with an ARE cap. We noticed the slight sag when we loaded it down with travel gear for a trip this past summer.
I just received a set of Coachbuilder +2 shackles from Ekstrom Design to give it back a little rake.

#5 ·
As said above since the PRO is nearly level from the factory the added weight will cause a rear end sag for a slightly nose high look. You can add the shackles to help with this just something to be aware of. Just a matter of what you want and are going for. A lot of high school and college kids are not purposely making their rear ends 3-5" lower than the front which I think is terrible but it is s think or st least is in GA/AL/FL

Reactions: DETN8R
#6 · (Edited)
The rear shocks on any of the tundras do nothing to determine ride height... Ride height is determined by the spring pack arch, weight of the truck and the shackles.

Whether you have the TRD shocks or the TRD Pro shocks your ride height will be the same, even payload is negligible. The only difference is the Pro is level from the factory (+2" in the front) therefore if you load the rear down it appears to sag, rather than squat and be more level with the front of a non TRDPro truck.

You can add TRD Pro suspension to any truck for $2300. Its a way better shock/coil package for ride quality than the stock TRD. Amenities are pretty much the same between the PRO and the SR5 with the exception of leather.

If it were me I'd buy the SR5, upgrade the suspension however you want, and add leather if it tickles your fancy. a +2 or +3 Coachbuilder shackle in the rear will handle your leveling/squatting and additional weight needs.

Another option is ride rite air bags but if you use those to control unweighted ride height you'll have a rougher ride most of the time due to the psi you'll have to keep in the bags.

#8 ·
I have a SR5 with TRD Pro Suspension. I defiantly have more 'sag' between the stock shocks and the TRD Pro when hauling say 10 bags of corn. The Pro suspension also raised the front 2" essentially removing factory rake which makes the sag appear even worse.

#9 ·
Awesome, thanks for the info! Sounds like either go for the PRO and plan to add a couple shackles or go SR5 and do everything a little later down the road... how difficult is it to do the rear shackles anyhow? Do you need a lift or a shop to install, or is it something a few buddies and some beers can accomplish? Also any idea how much these shackles cost? Thanks!

#12 · (Edited)
If you have the money and want a Pro, then go for a Pro and order some CB shackles to help with the squat. 2 options with that... either go with +2 shackles which is 1.25" of lift. Or go with the +3 shackles (1.75" lift) and 2 shims on each side up front (each shim is .50") if you go with +3 and shims then you will need 295/70 tires to make the truck look good again. The +2 (2") and +3 (3") longer then the stock shackles on the tundra.

Other option is go with the SR5 and upgrade to the Pro suspension (which is a little softer) and do the same route with the shackles and shims. And I say that because the Pro suspension will raise your front end up 2". This route will save you some money either way.

I bought the +2 shackles for my Pro and they were $315 for shackles, bushings and the carrier bearing drop kit is included with +2 or +3. I think the +3 shackles and 4 shims and bushings are around $500. And if you get the steering kit then add another $300.

You can call David the owner of Coachbuilder if you'd like. His number is 801-635-4872. Cheaper if you go through David instead of dirty deeds.

2016 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro CM MGM.

#11 ·
Shackles are pretty easy, took me about an hour to install mine. Do rent a ball joint press to remove the factory leaf spring bushings. Couple of jack stands, a floor jack, and hand tools. I paid $317 including shipping for the +1 shackles and bushings from dirtydeedsindustries.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.