Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

TRD PRO running boards

30K views 59 replies 42 participants last post by  Franagon 
#1 ·
any cool ones you've seen and what would you recommend. I just ordered a 16 and was wondering what anyones thoughts were. also ive worked at a Toyota dealership for 17 years so if you have any questions I can answer them.....

#2 ·
I love my rock sliders from white knuckle off road. They are super beefy a day double as a pretty decent step as well.

#11 ·
I would like to see a pic of the rock rails if you can

#3 ·
Most people I know that have FJs, Tacomas, or 4runners remove the running boards if they come with them. A much cleaner look. If you're goal is to add protection when off roading then go with rock rails.
Maybe with a 6" lift you'd want boards but might as well go for the motorized retractible ones if that's the case.

#5 ·
I got some black composite 6" oval steps at the local truck shop. Kinda pricey, but they look nice. Composite so no rust or paint to peel. I forget the brand name now.

On my previous truck I had the Toyota ones with the silver tubes and the wide black plastic step pads. Those were nice very nice, but the silver wouldn't look right on a blacked out truck.

#7 ·
I think the predator steps look the best that you can get through Toyota. They are the same as the N-Fabs but have a dull Matt finish instead of the glossy black.

Attachments

#9 ·
NICE! Yep I like them a lot better than a low solid running board. I had the NFABS on my Z71 B4 the Tundra and knew I wanted the same for this truck. They make it look higher and more aggressive.;)

#18 ·
I'm in TX and ordered the Predator steps on my build. I honestly hated that style RB when I'd see them on vehicles. The day my wife and I test drove Tundra's, the amazing day where she saw an MGM Pro and exclaimed "Now that I like" (she hated the white TRD), that MGM pro had predator steps.

I'm hoping that getting in/out of the vehicle she doesn't say that she hates having such a limited amount of space to step. I know that it feels like I have the entire board at my disposal getting into my friend's Ram with standard chrome/black padding RBs.

I'll know in a week when mine arrives, but can anyone comment who has owned both the predator and a standard RB? I love the look, but I have this feeling that it will feel restrictive when getting in/out of the truck.

Worse case scenario if she hates them enough that I have to listen to her bitch about it constantly I'll likely install the AMP steps in the future.

#22 ·
Main time I notice a prob with the narrow steps is when I'm reaching to clean windows or the top. Not much target down there, in awkward positions.

#50 ·
I just picked up the same OEM running boards. Nothing particularly unique but they do seem pretty rare. I'm assuming it's because of the price. I still don't understand that one.

Anyway, my old FJ came with Predator bars which were generally fine for me (tricky when washing the car, though).

This time, I've been overruled by the small feet in my family.

#37 ·
I like them. Perfect size.

#42 ·
looks good... how was the install on them?

#43 ·
I too installed the Magnum RTs. Fairly easy to install by yourself. But with stock Pro wheels, they stick out far past the wheel width even snugged as far inward as possible. Oh, wait...they make wider wheels and tires. And the snowball effect resumes.

#44 ·
good to know... can you take a pic to show how far they stick out compared to the tires/wheels?

i have 1.25" spacers on and wondering if it will help some

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.