What can I tow (2010 Tundra 4.6) - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
TundraTalk.net now has a Photo Gallery available to all users. Upload your photos today!
Toyota Tundra Header Background Toyota Tundra Header Right
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us

Go Back   TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Towing & Hauling
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery Gameroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

TundraTalk.net is the premier Toyota Tundra Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2011, 05:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

What can I tow (2010 Tundra 4.6)

I am in the market for a toy hauler and I am curious as to what I can safely and legally tow with my truck. When the truck was purchased I never thought I would need to tow anything heavy so I opted for the gas friendly 4.6. I am regretting this decision now but maybe I can tow a decent trailer with the truck i have now?

I have a 2010 4.6l v8 with tow package. Atleast I think it has the tow package? I have a tow/haul button and it came with a hitch and all that jazz.

Thanks guys.
siskiyoutundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2011, 08:12 AM   #2 (permalink)

While the truck is rated to pull 8000#, I pulled a 5000# trailer with the same truck. it worked pretty hard, but I guess it did OK. I would have proably gone 6000#, but that would have been tops for me and still have a margin. Watch tongue weight and payload. Those are going to be your weak links, and remember, air bags will not increase the carrying capacity, they just make it level.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:19 AM   #3 (permalink)

I tow a 2009 Weekend Warrior Carbonlite...loaded it weighs between 5500 -5900 lbs..I have had it in Nevada,Arizona,New Mexico and Texas..has been just fine with the 4.6..I have over 3k miles pulling this setup..If I were over the 6k range I would want to jump up to the 5.7 motor
TWO2gander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 10:04 AM   #4 (permalink)

This is not a direct comparison but it should help. I have an 06 and pull a bumper hitch horse trailer that clocks in at right around 6000 loaded with three horses. I don't pull every day and opted for Timbrens instead of air bags. Gas mileage can drop to around 9 if you push it ,but it works out fine in most situations. I would not want to take it to the mountains if I had more than one horse in the trailer. Your truck should be able to haul around some serious "toys" in my opinion. Good luck.
Amazing Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Towing & Hauling