Transmission overtemp - Page 2 - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#16 (permalink) Old 12-24-2012, 06:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I hate hearing this. I just got a '13 crewmax and I sure hope this doesn't happen when I pull my toy hauler. It weighs about 6500 lbs loaded. I plan on towing in 5th with tow haul and shifting it myself on hills rather than letting the truck try to do it on it own.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 (permalink) Old 12-24-2012, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo700 View Post
I hate hearing this. I just got a '13 crewmax and I sure hope this doesn't happen when I pull my toy hauler. It weighs about 6500 lbs loaded. I plan on towing in 5th with tow haul and shifting it myself on hills rather than letting the truck try to do it on it own.

It didn't put us out of commission. We just had to slow down for 15 minutes. Like I said before I have towed so much more in worse conditions and never had a problem. I think it was the cold temp that screwed me over.

Sorry for more bad news but putting it in 5th and thinking it will stay there is not gonna happen. The truck will still downshift if it wants to.

Congrats on the purchase. I still like my crewmax more than my buddies denali. To each there own man. After driving my tundra he still decided to spend 35k on a sierra denali with over 50k miles. And a month after he bought it his auto climate control went to shit. So meh.
#18 (permalink) Old 12-24-2012, 10:47 PM

Thanked 1,776 Times in 1,007 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Never seen it mentioned here but remember that the Tundra 5.7L/6 speed combinations the 5th/6th gears are both overdrive, any extreme towing in any overdrive gear will quickly heat up a transmission, shifting to 4th or direct in these transmissions will quickly lower transmission temperatures. Probably what's happening which happens with any truck climbing a steep grade, and happens in reverse as well, there just isn't enough air flow going through the transmission cooler, plus the extremely cold temperatures are possibly causing the thermostat on the transmission to not open quickly enough so combine all the above and you have a transmission that gets hoooooooot very fast.
#19 (permalink) Old 12-24-2012, 10:54 PM

When I towed with my Titan I would tow in 4th and shift into third when approaching a hill to keep up momentum and not have to worry about the truck trying to shift itself it was much easier on the truck that way and i plan on doing the same with my tundra.

The Following User Says Thank You to wyo700 For This Useful Post:
wildbill23c (12-24-2012)
#20 (permalink) Old 12-24-2012, 11:11 PM

Thanked 1,776 Times in 1,007 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
When I towed with my Titan I would tow in 4th and shift into third when approaching a hill to keep up momentum and not have to worry about the truck trying to shift itself it was much easier on the truck that way and i plan on doing the same with my tundra.

You would be doing your transmission a favor to keep towing that way. Especially if the transmission starts hunting for gears then you need to downshift out of 6th and 5th both. People seem to think that hitting the tow/haul button and leaving the transmission in drive is going to solve all their problems. When you are towing heavy loads you need to be out of overdrive altogether which means 4th gear.
#21 (permalink) Old 12-25-2012, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill23c View Post
You would be doing your transmission a favor to keep towing that way. Especially if the transmission starts hunting for gears then you need to downshift out of 6th and 5th both. People seem to think that hitting the tow/haul button and leaving the transmission in drive is going to solve all their problems. When you are towing heavy loads you need to be out of overdrive altogether which means 4th gear.
I know that it will help with towing. And keeping the Rpms up is a lot easier for the truck all together. I noticed with my Titan and I am hoping my tundra will pull better. But I am not one of those guys that thinks he has to go the speed limit. I usually pull 5-10 mph under much easier on truck and better on mpgs when towing.

The Following User Says Thank You to wyo700 For This Useful Post:
wildbill23c (12-25-2012)
#22 (permalink) Old 12-25-2012, 07:05 AM

Quote:
I know that it will help with towing. And keeping the Rpms up is a lot easier for the truck all together. I noticed with my Titan and I am hoping my tundra will pull better. But I am not one of those guys that thinks he has to go the speed limit. I usually pull 5-10 mph under much easier on truck and better on mpgs when towing.

I understand this as well. But when Toyota has all of these ridiculous commercials showing what the tundra can pull and then my truck over heats pulling just 2 sleds. Its frustrating. Especially with a gm fan sitting next to me.
#23 (permalink) Old 12-25-2012, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlz View Post
I understand this as well. But when Toyota has all of these ridiculous commercials showing what the tundra can pull and then my truck over heats pulling just 2 sleds. Its frustrating. Especially with a gm fan sitting next to me.
Ya having a GM fan next to you doesn't help at all. Maybe I missed this in previous posts but how were you towing were you just letting the truck do everything on its own or were you manually shifting it your self.

#24 (permalink) Old 12-25-2012, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Ya having a GM fan next to you doesn't help at all. Maybe I missed this in previous posts but how were you towing were you just letting the truck do everything on its own or were you manually shifting it your self.

I wasn't using cruise. But I kept it in Drive. I tried shifting myself but the truck did what it wanted. I had good luck keeping it in overdrive until the wind picked up or we ran in to a large hill.

Overall I was happy with how the truck performed. The transmission just wasn't consistent. And the temp thing was a pain the 2 times it happened.

I'll keep everyone posted on what the dealer has to say later in the week.
#25 (permalink) Old 12-26-2012, 01:51 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,646 Times in 861 Posts
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
If I'm reading all this correctly, the issue only appears in very cold temps while towing. When the trans temp goes up, it is easily remedied by shifting to S4 and slowing down for a few minutes.

It seems more like just an adjustment for the driver to make under certain conditions. I don't think I would go to the dealer with it. Even if they agreed to look into it, taking apart the transmission seems like an iffy proposition.

2008 CrewMax Limited 5.7 / Slate Metallic
#26 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012, 11:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I guess I wouldn't want to worry about it every time I took a snowmobile trip west. And that is far from normal.

I, like several others here, tow far far more than that in extreme heat and climb steep grades without issue. This truck was designed to tow and haul.........but maybe something was overlooked for cold weather operations.

Keep us posted!

2011 Magnetic Gray Rock Warrior pulling;
2010 Rockwood 2701
2008 Harley Davidson Fat Bob (Black Pearl)
#27 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 10:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I read somewhere you should always be in T/H mode and 4S never use 5th or 6th as they are OD's. Some manufactures lock out OD's when in T/H mode.

Black Tundra Club Member #178
2012 5.7 DC Black on Black SR5-tow-off road.
N-fab Step Bars
N-fab Light Bar
V Series A.R.E cap with Yakima roof rack
Yakima MegaWarrior with extension
AIP Failure on 12/30/12
#28 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 11:27 PM

That is one thing I would give my left nut for, full manual control of the automatic tranny like the new Super Duties have. It makes everything so much nicer when towing.

Remember, We do it nice, because we do it twice.
The Following User Says Thank You to AKtrd For This Useful Post:
riccnick (01-08-2013)
#29 (permalink) Old 01-08-2013, 03:39 PM

My appointment was for 7am this morning. Gotta call at 230pm saying its done. They did the tpms recall. And I was told the truck threw a code for the transmission light malfunction which causes the gauge to go towards the H. This guy said he re-flashed the ecm which should fix the problem.

Sorry I really have a hard time believing this story. Maybe someone else can help explain this to me. Seems to me that toyota dealers flash the ecm to cure to many problems.

I don't think it was an electrical problem because I could put the needle in H by manually accelerating in 5th gear numerous times. By downshifting in to fourth or by slowing down and letting it go in to overdrive the temp would go back to normal.

Was the computer faulty or was 5th gear hot as hell? It seemed to me like 5th was hot and the computer was reading correctly.

Should i be worried now that with the re-flash my mileage will go in the toilet? Does my truck have to relearn anything? Any input will be helpful when I go to pick it up soon. Hopefully this guy can give me the code that it threw so I can be more specific.
The Following User Says Thank You to marlz For This Useful Post:
riccnick (01-08-2013)
#30 (permalink) Old 01-08-2013, 06:46 PM

Just got back from the dealer. Tech was gone that worked on the truck so I didn't get the code that was thrown. It was funny after showing the same guy I talked to the notes we made on the work order. There it was "Please get codes if any show" on the work order. Guess it just wasn't meant to be. I asked for codes when I dropped it off, when I talked to him on the phone, and when I picked it up.

He did give me the technical service bulletin that the tech used to correct the issue.

Introduction reads: Some 2010-2011 model year Tundra vehicles equipped with the ABE60E/F transmission and towing package may illuminate the A/T oil temperature warning light when towing in sub-freezing ambient temperatures. The Engine Control Module/ECM (SAE term: Powertrain Control Module/PCM) logic has been modified to address this condition.

Well I'm hauling 3 guys and 4 sleds to west yellowstone next week. Wish me luck...

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Towing & Hauling