User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-28-2008, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Cool Tongue Weight & GVWR

I am a newbie here so I hope this hasn't been discussed before. I have read through several threads going back several months and didn't find it...so here goes.

We bought a 2008 Fleetwood Prowler 5th Wheel, 30 ft, 6938 lbs with a tongue weight of 1422 lbs. We will pull it with our 2007 Tundra double cab, 5.7 L DOHC 32V iForce V8, 381 HP/401 LBs. The Tundra is rated to pull upto 10,300 lbs. and it has the tow package on it.

The GVWR is 6,900 lbs with a payload of 1680 on the window sticker and lower according to the GVWR (6900) - curb weight (5345) = 1555. According to the manual, the GVW includes passengers, cargo, luggage and tongue weight. With a tongue weight of 1422 lbs that leaves us a hundred pounds or so. I have been told that since our hitch is bolted to the frame the tongue weight does not figure into the payload capacity so I have no weight problem. But....that weight has to be figured in "somewhere". I am still putting 1422 lbs onto the Tundra somewhere. My neighbor mechanic told me this as did the mechanic at the Fleetwood dealer.

I would like some of your ideas and opinions about this. I think our GVWR will be over the limit...5345 + 1422 + 375 (people) = 7145 lbs at least. Hope this is as clear as mud.

Love this forum...very informative and helpful.

Bart
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-28-2008, 06:42 PM
F&@k Y'all, I'm from Texas
Premium Member

Thanked 12,235 Times in 5,051 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
I'm no pro but I am pretty sure that any weight applied to the truck should be calculated in the GVWR. Trailer tongue weight is the same as a load in the bed of the truck. A Weight Distribution hitch would help transfer some of that tongue weight back to the trailer axle. I'll let the people with more experience address it in more depth.

All mod descriptions and pictures © 2007-2014 by Toxarch. They may be copied only for personal use and the mods may be done for non-profit only.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MORON #1
Do not mention his name here. He spits on us and talks crap and you're directing people to him from our site? I don't think so. I know you're neutral and that's fine, but please do not mention him here.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-28-2008, 11:29 PM

Hey there, This can get very confusing, and from the looks of things your right smack in the middle of a bunch of numbers. So here it goes, Yes your Tundra has a towing capacity of 10,300 lbs. But having said that you have a number of different things to contend with as well. First being GCVW, Gross combined vehicle weight. Im guessing your truck is the 4x4, so your GCVW is 16,000lbs. That means your truck and trailer combined with every little piece of cargo, right down to that bottle of water in the cup holder, cant exceed 16,000 lbs. Now your talking about pin weight, They have a limit there to so guys dont go loading up with tidy tanks and 5th wheels etc etc staying under there 16,000 but putting to much on their rear end. Pin weight does not get added to the equation of gross combined vehicle weight rating, because your the weight of the trailer and truck makes up the GCVW but its something you need to be aware of. You need to make sure you dont exceed your rear axle rating. You can check that out, by going over the scale without trailer, all fueled up, and write down your axle weight then to be on the safe side lets say its 2000lbs and your pin weight is 1422, then just add it all on the rear to see if your under. To find out your GAWR check the sticker on the door of your truck. So heres the things you need to check.

GCVW - I think yours is 16,000 Thats truck and trailer and everything in it
GAWR - Max axle weight
Towing capacity - 10,300

From my experience.... a 30' trailer is a bit big for the Tundra, You mentioned the curb weight is 5345, That sounds REALLY low for that trailer. Heck your truck almost weighs that. I find it hard to believe that it could weigh that little.

Have you had it across a scale?
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-28-2008, 11:32 PM

I know a 24' with 1 slide weighs in at around 8,500lbs all loaded up
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Cool

Thanks to all who replied your help is appreciated. On Toyota's website, under Tundra, they have a section on towing which is very informative. I do have to add the tongue weight of 1422 to the GVWR. So this is how it adds up: 5345 (Tundra curb weight) + 1422 (tongue weight) + 375 (passengers)
= 7142...just 142lbs over the limit. I will have to get some airbags or the Timbren suspension system to add to the load limit.

I will keep reading to gain some more knowledge. We plan on taking the 5'er out in March or April once the Missouri winter is over. Thanks for your help'

Bart19
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 11:31 AM

Airbags, Timbrens or anything similiar dont add to your "Load Limit"

I see, you were trying to figure out your GVWR I read your first post too fast. You also need to pay attention to your GCVW though. I think your going to be way over there too. A 30' is too much for this truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Towing & Hauling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.